Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Old 01-19-2015, 12:17 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,701 Likes on 2,152 Posts

Regarding the passenger seat issue, I've asked my dealer to contact Porsche and look into it. Will let you guys know what he says.

IMO, selling these seats which are presumably intended for compatibility with harnesses and thus suited for track use, but without proper provision for ant-submarine belts, is misrepresentation and irresponsible.

Regardless of what constraints Porsche was working with, there should have at least been full prior disclosure of the issue with the passenger seat, and the inadvisability of using 4-pt harnesses as a workaround.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:41 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Joe - thanks! It's great to finally see a thread that's not about color choices, stitching, cameras, and other nonsense!

Where did you get the caliper stud kit? I can't see buying new caliper bolts every time you need to change pads or rotors. Porsche considers them a one-use item.

I also agree with everything you said - phenomenal car so far. In fact, as others have mentioned, perhaps too good. There is no way to fully appreciate the car on US public roads.

The seats are also interesting. Not sure why they went with the 918 seat, unless it was strictly for the electric height adjustment. They have no side airbags - I thought those were required. They are certainly wider than the GT2 seats - perhaps they used those to accommodate us 'chunky' Americans? I'm 5'11" and 210# and the seats are not snug. They are more comfortable than the GT2 seats and really complete the GT3, fitting its sporting nature perfectly. For me, the 918 seat is now the most comfortable Porsche makes, the GT2 seat gets moved to second place.

The lack of a proper sub-belt pass through is a major error on the part of Porsche! Unless they want an easy way to monitor track use? Although, with the electric height adjustment, the seat base isn't really attached to the floor pan, it's attached to the mobile electrically adjusted platform - not sure how robust that would be for the track. I think for serious track use, a dedicated track seat is still the best option and certainly a better choice than either the 918 or GT2 seat. For casual DE or AX use, any seat will work.

They certainly accomplished their goal - a more daily drivable GT3. After a long search for 'the perfect car for me', I may have finally found it. Although the Cayman R would be a very close second place. Or the 997 GT2. . .
Thanks, Bill. I agree with you as well. The caliper studs were purchased from Tarett. The front studs are PMNA cup studs, but the rear studs are not and sourced by Tarett.

Originally Posted by Conekilr
Congrats Joe and look forward to more of your track setup and impressions postings

Wow! I want to see more pictures of your Gulf blue GT3!!!!

Originally Posted by Manifold
Regarding the passenger seat issue, I've asked my dealer to contact Porsche and look into it. Will let you guys know what he says.

IMO, selling these seats which are presumably intended for compatibility with harnesses and thus suited for track use, but without proper provision for ant-submarine belts, is misrepresentation and irresponsible.

Regardless of what constraints Porsche was working with, there should have at least been full prior disclosure of the issue with the passenger seat, and the inadvisability of using 4-pt harnesses as a workaround.
Manifold, this is an issue we all need to collaborate on and find a good solution.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:45 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,701 Likes on 2,152 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Manifold, this is an issue we all need to collaborate on and find a good solution.
Agreed, I think there should be an 'official solution' from Porsche, rather than each of us being left to our own devices. A good start may be for all of us who have the seats to contact their dealers and have them contact Porsche, so that Porsche sees that a lot of people are very unhappy about the situation (but let's keep it a secret that we still love the car ).
Old 01-19-2015, 12:46 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hope you've cleaned yourself up now from all that opti!!!!!

Did you replace the caliper bolts because of the unusual nut shape or did you manage to find a head with the correct pattern?
Old 01-19-2015, 12:50 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
Hope you've cleaned yourself up now from all that opti!!!!!

Did you replace the caliper bolts because of the unusual nut shape or did you manage to find a head with the correct pattern?
LOL, you could probably sense the frustration in the garage when you saw us working on the car. I had to use a brush that scraped off skin in order to remove that goop! Next time, I will cover the hub with a plastic bag to stop myself from bumping into the hub and getting that crap everywhere

You want to replace the caliper bolts because they are technically a one time use part. The studs will also save you from screwing up the threads in the upright when using bolts.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:55 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

LOL, you could probably sense the frustration in the garage when you saw us working on the car. I had to use a brush that scraped off skin in order to remove that goop! Next time, I will cover the hub with a plastic bag to stop myself from bumping into the hub and getting that crap everywhere

You want to replace the caliper bolts because they are technically a one time use part. The studs will also save you from screwing up the threads in the upright when using bolts.
Why are the bolts a 1-time use part while the studs are somehow multi-time use?
Old 01-19-2015, 01:00 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mech33
Maybe someone more technical can chime in, but that is my understanding. The studs make it easier to re-install the caliper. Just slide back on. It's also much easier to screw up threading a bolt into the upright vs. a simple nut. If the upright threads are jacked, the upright needs to be replaced.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:01 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,478 Likes on 2,268 Posts

did
u take apart the CL nut to greae too? that will add more hoop to
everywhere. I uae lots gloves and put not far away from everything and I have three xl sockets
Old 01-19-2015, 01:06 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OT

Wow! I want to see more pictures of your Gulf blue GT3!!!!
We'll do a proper photo shoot in the summer as it's winter here and I'm a lousy photographer to booth.
In the meanwhile, I look forward to your reports and setup info and will live vicariously through you and others until I can get on the track myself. Maybe I should ship my car down your way in the winter so I can have some fun too... Got any space in that beautiful garage of your ??

Old 01-19-2015, 01:06 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
They're probably stretch bolts,just like head bolts are...
I'm sure a lot of people reuse them,but it's probably a very good idea to install new ones if you track extensively because of the heat brakes generate on the track.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:19 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Maybe someone more technical can chime in, but that is my understanding. The studs make it easier to re-install the caliper. Just slide back on. It's also much easier to screw up threading a bolt into the upright vs. a simple nut. If the upright threads are jacked, the upright needs to be replaced.
One time use or not (porsche does spec this on all their cars - replace the bolt when putting new pads in) ... just ask the 997 guys who had to drill and time-sert their uprights due to thread wear or stripping. As you said it's even worse on the 991 since you have to remove both front and rear calipers for pad changes.

I don't think the bolts are stretch bolts. However all bolts do stretch some when torqued. My belief is the issue is the insert/remove process has some wear on the bolt tip and this makes the chance of cross threading or wearing the upright threads higher.

The upright is aluminum, the bolt is steel. With the studs, the bolt and nut are steel. And as orthojoe points out you can hang the caliper on the stud, makes the process much easier.

On my 997 I replace my caliper stud nuts every couple months (i use high quality US sourced grade 10.8 metric flange nuts with parabolic lock). The studs show no wear but will time them out later this year and replace.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:35 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

+1 the studs are the way to go.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:52 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 883 Likes on 334 Posts

Great start to the thread Joe. So glad someone is going to document the trials and tribulations of getting this car sorted for regular track use.

For the Optimally, a combo of disposable gloves and lightly diluted Simple Green remove the stuff from hands and other body parts.

Can't wait to see the car out at the track next week. May I be the first Mezger GT3 to give you a point by
Old 01-19-2015, 03:19 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

The whole CL + grease makes me not even want to change the brakes myself. I rather enjoyed doing it on the regular 991.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:19 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mooty
did
u take apart the CL nut to greae too? that will add more hoop to
everywhere. I uae lots gloves and put not far away from everything and I have three xl sockets
Not this time. Car brand spankin' new. Figured no need to. Not looking forward to that day.

Originally Posted by Conekilr
We'll do a proper photo shoot in the summer as it's winter here and I'm a lousy photographer to booth.
In the meanwhile, I look forward to your reports and setup info and will live vicariously through you and others until I can get on the track myself. Maybe I should ship my car down your way in the winter so I can have some fun too... Got any space in that beautiful garage of your ??

For your car? Plenty of space! BRZ can sit outside! LOL. Would be awesome for you to join us sometime this year! Please post more pics of your car! Don't care if you're a lousy photographer!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal