Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 05:55 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Glad you 2 got a chance to connect at Sonoma. Wish I could have been there! Chris probably mentioned that the Trofeo Rs are totally dead. We've decided to keep the dunlops as a back up tire for now and we're gonna mount another set of trofeo R on next week. The tires lasted 6 track days, but were really only good for 5. Not bad, IMO. I'm headed to MRLS on 7/30. With better weather and proper tire pressures, I'm hoping to see the extra grip that Trofeo Rs are supposed to have!
Are you guys replacing all 4 tires every time?
Old 07-03-2015, 08:07 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Orthojoe's track build journal

Originally Posted by Mech33
Are you guys replacing all 4 tires every time?
Yes. It's not worth the hassle to squeeze one extra day out of 2 tires. Plus you have to deal with tires that are likely heat cycled out and mismatched grip
Old 07-03-2015, 08:47 PM
clex2
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robbieracer
It was nice meeting you yesterday. Great track and weather at Sonoma Raceway. I've never seen so many Ferrari's at one location. This was my first time there and it really ate up my left tires. This is a great post and I've learned a lot after all 75 pages worth... Keep up the great posts orthojoe!
Dave (IIRC), it was great meeting you and hearing about your awesome journey through all the racetracks. It was a fun day. Your Track Decals collection is what we all dream about, but you live it. Props.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:06 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's pretty cool. I thought i had a lot w/ 13 under my belt.

Originally Posted by clex2
Dave (IIRC), it was great meeting you and hearing about your awesome journey through all the racetracks. It was a fun day. Your Track Decals collection is what we all dream about, but you live it. Props.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:57 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Yes. It's not worth the hassle to squeeze one extra day out of 2 tires. Plus you have to deal with tires that are likely heat cycled out and mismatched grip
Interesting. I'm getting 5 out of fronts and 10 out of rears on MPSC2, but with last 2-3 days rears being not very pleasant. If I were not too cheap to change all 4, it would be same wear for Pirelli and MPSC2
Old 07-04-2015, 07:24 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Interesting. I'm getting 5 out of fronts and 10 out of rears on MPSC2, but with last 2-3 days rears being not very pleasant. If I were not too cheap to change all 4, it would be same wear for Pirelli and MPSC2
That seems to fit my experience. I'm on my first set of rears (quite worn), and second set of fronts (fairly fresh). Based on tread wear, life of rear SC2 looks like it can be about double the fronts, but grip of the rears seemed to really fall off during my most recent track day with the car (at Thunderbolt, about 3 hours on track), making the car feel loose and slow. Odd thing is that, at the immediately prior event at Watkins Glen, front and rear grip both felt good, and the car felt balanced. Different tracks could be part of the reason, but I'm suspecting that grip of the rears starts to fall off significantly at a certain point, despite the amount of tread looking decent. Next event is almost 6 hours away, and will be about 6 hours of track time, so I think I'm going to bite the bullet financially and replace the rears before that event, even though I too can be quite cheap and hate to throw away tires (and brake pads) which look like they still have some life!
Old 07-05-2015, 01:41 PM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Orthojoe- awesome thread! I've got a few questions in regards to your Cantrell rollbar.

Did the roll bar come with any instructions?

How easily did the interior come out?

How long did it take to install? Could it be done in a single day you think?
Old 07-05-2015, 01:55 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilT3
Hi Orthojoe- awesome thread! I've got a few questions in regards to your Cantrell rollbar.

Did the roll bar come with any instructions?
It comes with instructions, they are very good. If you read them and follow in detail, you will not have any problems.

How easily did the interior come out?
Interior comes out very easily.

How long did it take to install? Could it be done in a single day you think?
I did mine in a day with a friend, he had experience installing rollbars. If you have the right tools, its definitely something you can DIY but it is a lot of effort.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:09 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig
It comes with instructions, they are very good. If you read them and follow in detail, you will not have any problems.

I did mine in a day with a friend, he had experience installing rollbars. If you have the right tools, its definitely something you can DIY but it is a lot of effort.
Not sure it's exactly DIY.

More like DIYWF ... as in Do-It-Yourself-With-Friends
Old 07-05-2015, 11:37 PM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bigkraig

Thanks bigkraig! That's good to know. I'm mechanically inclined and have worked on many cars over the years. Though, it's not my profession, so I need to take my time with stuff like this.
Now I just need to be patient for my allocation to show up.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:13 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

Phil
Don't be afraid to tackle this project as it just takes a little time to do it right. If you have questions the answers are here on the forum. Cantrell can fill in the voids and is more than willing to help. I have had no problems with my install.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:42 PM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
Phil
Don't be afraid to tackle this project as it just takes a little time to do it right. If you have questions the answers are here on the forum. Cantrell can fill in the voids and is more than willing to help. I have had no problems with my install.
Thanks SmokinGTS. Appreciate the vote of confidence. Definitely not afraid. Just doing as much research and prep that I can so the project goes as smooth as possible.
Appreciate the offer for assistance.
This forum seems to be much more 'mature' than others I've been on. Very nice as it's more my 'speed'.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:58 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Orthojoe's track build journal

Thanks for answering phil's questions, guys. I have nothing to add.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:57 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Not sure it's exactly DIY.

More like DIYWF ... as in Do-It-Yourself-With-Friends
Absolutely, no way one person can fit the bar in
Old 07-09-2015, 11:04 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
That seems to fit my experience. I'm on my first set of rears (quite worn), and second set of fronts (fairly fresh). Based on tread wear, life of rear SC2 looks like it can be about double the fronts, but grip of the rears seemed to really fall off during my most recent track day with the car (at Thunderbolt, about 3 hours on track), making the car feel loose and slow. Odd thing is that, at the immediately prior event at Watkins Glen, front and rear grip both felt good, and the car felt balanced. Different tracks could be part of the reason, but I'm suspecting that grip of the rears starts to fall off significantly at a certain point, despite the amount of tread looking decent. Next event is almost 6 hours away, and will be about 6 hours of track time, so I think I'm going to bite the bullet financially and replace the rears before that event, even though I too can be quite cheap and hate to throw away tires (and brake pads) which look like they still have some life!
Wound up replacing the rear tires, looking forward to trying the car with both front and rear grip this weekend at a new track.

Here's my hypothesis regarding what's happening with the rear tires (could be totally wrong): the RWS and e-diff are reducing the rear tire wear, enabling the rear tires to seemingly outlast the front tires, but putting all that power down is causing the tires to heat cycle out before the tread is worn. By contrast, the front tires aren't getting hammered by the power, and thus less issue with heat cycling, but are working hard to find grip when cornering, especially during corner entry, and thus still have decent grip by the time the tread is worn.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal