Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 12:00 AM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Joe,
nice build thus far, and thx for posting your experience.
on the attached photo of your removable pan, I see you have two plastic plugs next to the outside/middle torque screws. Have you tried to remove the pan?
the torque screws are easily removable...but the plastic plugs will not release the pan. I don't believe the '14s have these plugs.
has anyone dealt with these plugs/situation?

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Except the LWB seats have GT3 embroidered in the head rest! LOL.

Don't get me wrong, I love the LWB seats and would option them again in a heartbeat. I'm just noting the subtle differences in position between the GT2 and LWB seats. It seems that Porsche made these small adjustments to handle the non-stop complaints about how the seats are uncomfortable because they are too upright, and to accommodate the ever increasing waistline of people...

Gratuitous underbody shot and silly mod pics:

(Thanks, Eurotom!)
Old 01-21-2015, 01:02 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

Use a small pin punch, awl or jeweler's screwdriver to push the center pin in the plastic pieces up and out. They are similar to some of the older interior pins. After you push them through you can pull the pan down. Be careful not to loose the inserts when you lower the pan. You can see the two parts in the photo below. Sorry for the quality.

Last edited by Alan C.; 09-22-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:03 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 14s probably had them broken when engines were swapped
Old 01-21-2015, 01:13 AM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe-
Do you have a picture of how you mount your go pro to your helmet? I assume it's on the side of the helmet with one of the go pro sticky mounts.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:22 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Gleek48
Joe- Do you have a picture of how you mount your go pro to your helmet? I assume it's on the side of the helmet with one of the go pro sticky mounts.
Here you go:
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2015, 09:16 AM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Joe. Is that screwed into the helmet or just stuck on with the sticky tape?
Old 01-21-2015, 09:28 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Use a small pin punch, awl or jeweler's screwdriver to push the center pin in the plastic pieces up and out. They are similar to some of the older interior pins. After you push them through you can pull the pan down. Be careful not to loose the inserts when you lower the pan. You can see the two parts in the photo below. Sorry for the quality.
Also check out Money's video for his experience

Old 01-21-2015, 10:19 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Gleek48
Thanks Joe. Is that screwed into the helmet or just stuck on with the sticky tape?
Sticky tape. It's pretty strong. I dropped the helmet once on its side and the plastic arm broke off while the tape held.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

That's great Alan. Finally, an explanation for just how those retaining pins work. I honestly don't see the point of them and am glad I didn't have to bother with them on my car..
Old 01-21-2015, 07:15 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Wow, nice stable!
Damn, I knew I should have gone into Ortho...
Congrats, you've earned it!
Old 01-21-2015, 08:52 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Alan,
thx!
Old 01-21-2015, 09:19 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
Wow, nice stable! Damn, I knew I should have gone into Ortho... Congrats, you've earned it!
Thanks, but the cars in the picture NOT all my cars. A conglomeration of my friend's cars.

Last edited by orthojoe; 01-22-2015 at 01:50 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:46 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I finally got around to playing with the sport chrono and track app tonight. This is what I can tell you so far:

1) The sport chrono on the dash/PCM do NOT interact with the phone app AT ALL. They are totally separate in terms of function. No link. Disappointment

2) The sport chrono on board timer will time you, but you have to use the control stalk to reset the timer every single lap. There is no automatic lap reset based on GPS position. Disappointment.

3) The on board sport chrono will record data that you can export via the USB port in the glove compartment as an .xls file. However, it only exports speed, GPS position, and time. No throttle position, no brake pressure. Disappointment.

4) The track app connects seamlessly with the car. I understand now why thunderhill is listed as a track on the manual, but is not a track on the phone. I tried to make my own track around a loop in my neighborhood. The app allowed me to make my own track, but it would not allow a live display since it was not in an approved 'track' like thunderhill. So, what that means is I need to set the start/stop/sector markers at thunderhill and make thunderhill a new track. However, the app will recognize the thunderhill GPS location and therefore will allow a live view while driving there, whereas it won't allow live viewing of data around the loop I made in my neighborhood. With laguna seca, you won't have to make new track because it is built into the app.

5) I was able to get the app to record video with overlay AND export .csv data from those laps for use in my other desktop programs

6) I have NOT been able to find a way to export video, however. You can only watch video on the phone. No way to email/export. Disappointment.

7) The data from the app that is exported is the essentials. GPS position, speed, rpm, brake pressure, throttle position, gear, steering angle. However, NO temperature data. Based on the export data, it appears that GPS and data logging rate is 10Hz, which isn't bad. However, I have no idea if that data is for real or interpolated.

Here is some screen shots of the app. I'd upload the video, but I can't export the damn thing!

Thus far, I'm not impressed. I will reserve final judgement until I try it out on track, but I predict that I won't be using this system at all and will be sticking with my AiM Solo DL.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:52 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Thanks for trying! If it was more well known what a **** poor job Porsche did on this option I would have ditched Sport Chrono and saved the $1800. Such a disappointment. Zero excuse for no video export!!

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I finally got around to playing with the sport chrono and track app tonight. This is what I can tell you so far:

1) The sport chrono on the dash/PCM do NOT interact with the phone app AT ALL. They are totally separate in terms of function. No link. Disappointment

2) The sport chrono on board timer will time you, but you have to use the control stalk to reset the timer every single lap. There is no automatic lap reset based on GPS position. Disappointment.

3) The on board sport chrono will record data that you can export via the USB port in the glove compartment as an .xls file. However, it only exports speed, GPS position, and time. No throttle position, no brake pressure. Disappointment.

4) The track app connects seamlessly with the car. I understand now why thunderhill is listed as a track on the manual, but is not a track on the phone. I tried to make my own track around a loop in my neighborhood. The app allowed me to make my own track, but it would not allow a live display since it was not in an approved 'track' like thunderhill. So, what that means is I need to set the start/stop/sector markers at thunderhill and make thunderhill a new track. However, the app will recognize the thunderhill GPS location and therefore will allow a live view while driving there, whereas it won't allow live viewing of data around the loop I made in my neighborhood. With laguna seca, you won't have to make new track because it is built into the app.

5) I was able to get the app to record video with overlay AND export .csv data from those laps for use in my other desktop programs

6) I have NOT been able to find a way to export video, however. You can only watch video on the phone. No way to email/export. Disappointment.

7) The data from the app that is exported is the essentials. GPS position, speed, rpm, brake pressure, throttle position, gear, steering angle. However, NO temperature data. Based on the export data, it appears that GPS and data logging rate is 10Hz, which isn't bad. However, I have no idea if that data is for real or interpolated.

Here is some screen shots of the app. I'd upload the video, but I can't export the damn thing!

Thus far, I'm not impressed. I will reserve final judgement until I try it out on track, but I predict that I won't be using this system at all and will be sticking with my AiM Solo DL.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:55 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mech33
Thanks for trying! If it was more well known what a **** poor job Porsche did on this option I would have ditched Sport Chrono and saved the $1800. Such a disappointment. Zero excuse for no video export!!
Yeah, it was stupid of me to get the option. Oh well, I have a nice red face clock...

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal