Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 01:24 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
What's the report on the new pads/rotors?
So far I'm very happy with the Ferodo DS1.11 brake pads and AP rotors. Here is what I've noticed so far compared to the PFC11:

1) Ferodo pads give a more firm pedal
2) Ferodo pads shorten the brake pedal travel
3) Less effort on brake pedal to reach threshold braking with Ferodo
4) A bit of noise on track with Ferodo, but very little. Whereas PFC11 make zero noise
5) Driving on the way back home from the track, I noticed that with light braking, the Ferodo pads make a light scraping sound, but not noisy. I'm getting some squeal, but nothing ear piercing or obnoxious. The PFC11 really made almost no noise on the street.
6) Braking power and consistency between the Ferodo and PFC11 are similar.
7) minimal brake dust with Ferodo pads

I think the setup works very well so far. The pads and rotors still look in great shape. I also think these pads will work even better with stickier tires like the Trofeo Rs.

Unfortunately, the K spec MPSC2 tires I'm running have had too many heat cycles. My original MPSC2 could hold 1.3G when they were new. These K spec MPSC2 held 1.2G when they were new. After reaching 25 heat cycles, they only hold 1.0G at this point. Big drop off in performance and lap times as a result.

Last edited by orthojoe; 04-19-2015 at 01:29 PM. Reason: added comment on brake dust
Old 04-19-2015, 01:33 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I finally received my AWE foils. As MaxLTV noted, the install is super easy. I did the install track side. It only takes a few minutes to install.

The good news:
1) It works. Buffeting is finally gone.
2) It looks pretty good. I'm not a fan of carbon fiber trim, but this semigloss finish looks good and matches the car well

The bad news:
The workmanship is pretty shoddy. Here is what it looks like on the backside:

They give you an adapter to offset the hole because it doesn't match up. It's attached by a ghetto wood screw that was clipped shorter. They clipped mine too short and it wouldn't engage the hole, so I had to tape one on to use on track yesterday.
A corner of one of my pieces wasn't fully finished:

It works and it looks the best of all the other options out there, but for $130 I expected a better fit and finish.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:44 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I finally received my AWE foils. As MaxLTV noted, the install is super easy. I did the install track side. It only takes a few minutes to install.

The good news:
1) It works. Buffeting is finally gone.
2) It looks pretty good. I'm not a fan of carbon fiber trim, but this semigloss finish looks good and matches the car well

The bad news:
The workmanship is pretty shoddy. Here is what it looks like on the backside:

They give you an adapter to offset the hole because it doesn't match up. It's attached by a ghetto wood screw that was clipped shorter. They clipped mine too short and it wouldn't engage the hole, so I had to tape one on to use on track yesterday.
A corner of one of my pieces wasn't fully finished:

It works and it looks the best of all the other options out there, but for $130 I expected a better fit and finish.
Great write up on the pads. I had the same experience with the awe wind deflectors I ordered and mentioned it in their post and they weren't happy about it. They do work though.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:24 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fastmd
Great write up on the pads. I had the same experience with the awe wind deflectors I ordered and mentioned it in their post and they weren't happy about it. They do work though.
Weren't happy with a legitimate criticism? That doesn't bode well for them...

One other note after washing the car this AM:

The Ferodo DS1.11 pads leave barely any dust on the wheels. The amount is very similar to what I experienced when I ran PCCB on my spyder, which I found interesting. The PFC11 left a thicker film of dust, but not terrible. Also, the finish on my wheels still look pristine after 9 track days. When comparing to other members who have had problems their wheel finish chipping off, I wonder if one of the 2 scenarios are true:

1) The OEM brake pads dust a lot, and are the cause of the the damage to the finish on the OEM wheels. I ran OEM pads for about 25 miles.

2) The 2015 models have a more durable finish than the 2014 models.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:21 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 566 Posts

Weren't happy with a legitimate criticism? That doesn't bode well for them...

One other note after washing the car this AM:

The Ferodo DS1.11 pads leave barely any dust on the wheels. The amount is very similar to what I experienced when I ran PCCB on my spyder, which I found interesting. The PFC11 left a thicker film of dust, but not terrible. Also, the finish on my wheels still look pristine after 9 track days. When comparing to other members who have had problems their wheel finish chipping off, I wonder if one of the 2 scenarios are true:

1) The OEM brake pads dust a lot, and are the cause of the the damage to the finish on the OEM wheels. I ran OEM pads for about 25 miles.

2) The 2015 models have a more durable finish than the 2014 models.
Do you know the price for the rotors? They look good.

Regarding the wheel finish - my '14 wheels are not corroded at all, so it's durable to brake dust, but chipped to the point that I would not think is acceptable. Not sure if it's a warranty item - on the one hand, paint chips usually are not, but on the other hand, I'd argue this is not normal. FWIW, when plastic trim on my BMW peeled after one year, they replaced everything no questions asked. So I may try with Porsche.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:59 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Do you know the price for the rotors? They look good.
PM Jeff at JRitt@essex or Clark at 924dp to get Rennlist pricing.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:14 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

So I've been informed that the Ferodo pads are 18mm thick vs the PFC 17mm.
The difference in thickness could account for the difference in pedal feel/travel. I will report back if things change once the pads wear a bit more.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:43 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

So I've been informed that the Ferodo pads are 18mm thick vs the PFC 17mm.
The difference in thickness could account for the difference in pedal feel/travel. I will report back if things change once the pads wear a bit more.
Why would a thicker pad make the pedal feel more stiff or affect pedal travel?
Old 04-20-2015, 02:04 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mech33
Why would a thicker pad make the pedal feel more stiff or affect pedal travel?
I'm not sure. This was suggested as a possibility to me. It may not make a difference. I imagine that I've worn through at least 1mm of pad after my last track day, and the pedal still feels the same. More time will tell.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:09 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

One of my chief complaints about my current setup (factory rotors and PFC11) is that cold, there is 0 bite (I have to put the pedal to the floor just to stop the car from 40mph) and even when hot, the first 50% of the pedal does very little, despite being stiff. It's linear, for sure, but I expected a lot more initial bite from light braking, which I prefer on the street. It's unnerving when slowing down from highway speeds that I need to press the pedal down 75% to stop.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:29 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

One of my chief complaints about my current setup (factory rotors and PFC11) is that cold, there is 0 bite (I have to put the pedal to the floor just to stop the car from 40mph) and even when hot, the first 50% of the pedal does very little, despite being stiff. It's linear, for sure, but I expected a lot more initial bite from light braking, which I prefer on the street. It's unnerving when slowing down from highway speeds that I need to press the pedal down 75% to stop.
Hmm... that's weird. I can't say that I had that issue with the PFC11 when I was using them on my car. I wonder what is causing the difference...
Old 04-20-2015, 02:39 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Hmm... that's weird. I can't say that I had that issue with the PFC11 when I was using them on my car. I wonder what is causing the difference...
I'd love to meet up so you can try my car. Maybe I'm just being hyper-sensitive, but I can honestly say I don't like the way the brakes feel now. I loved the brake feel on the 991S. I even prefer the brake feel on my S4.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:57 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

I had some of that feel on my car. On track it wasn't an issue once they were warm. So I figured it was just that the brakes weren't bedded in yet, and that they needed some heat to get to optimal stopping power.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:00 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

I'd love to meet up so you can try my car. Maybe I'm just being hyper-sensitive, but I can honestly say I don't like the way the brakes feel now. I loved the brake feel on the 991S. I even prefer the brake feel on my S4.
The 991 GT3 brakes have felt great to me on the road with both the OEM and PFC 11 pads. Plenty of initial bite, stopping power, firmness of the pedal, and reasonably small pedal travel.

However, I've not been loving the pedal feel on track, with PFC 11 pads and OEM fluid. Within a session or even a few laps, the pedal travel increases substantially and the pedal becomes somewhat spongy. Fortunately, it doesn't continue to get worse after that, but I find the feel to be unacceptable, especially for a GT3. There's also often some vibration of the pedal when aggressively trailbraking, something which I haven't experienced in other cars - maybe related to the PTV+, ABS, or PSM? I'll be flushing soon with SRF and will see how that goes.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:04 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Manifold
The 991 GT3 brakes have felt great to me on the road with both the OEM and PFC 11 pads. Plenty of initial bite, stopping power, firmness of the pedal, and reasonably small pedal travel.

However, I've not been loving the pedal feel on track, with PFC 11 pads and OEM fluid. Within a session or even a few laps, the pedal travel increases substantially and the pedal becomes somewhat spongy. Fortunately, it doesn't continue to get worse after that, but I find the feel to be unacceptable, especially for a GT3. There's also often some vibration of the pedal when aggressively trailbraking, something which I haven't experienced in other cars - maybe related to the PTV+, ABS, or PSM? I'll be flushing soon with SRF and will see how that goes.
I get the pedal vibration too (feels like ABS, but I'm not braking hard enough to lock the wheels) and I'm not a fan of the vibe.

I get a bit of the squishy pedal too so I plan to flush with a fluid that I know is minimally compressible.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal