Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 02:26 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Nice job, Joe, and thanks for all the detailed pics! They're super helpful for us looking to do something similar.

So is there no way to hide the sub belts during normal driving? I was hoping you could shove it under the seat through the substrap hole somehow.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:34 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Nice job, Joe, and thanks for all the detailed pics! They're super helpful for us looking to do something similar.

So is there no way to hide the sub belts during normal driving? I was hoping you could shove it under the seat through the substrap hole somehow.
Thanks and no prob! Yeah, I was hoping to be able to fold the substrap under the cushion like you could on the GT2 buckets, but the new design doesn't allow for this, unfortunately.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:38 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rockitman
Oh god...you are the man !!!! Success !
Well done Doc.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:54 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Thanks and no prob! Yeah, I was hoping to be able to fold the substrap under the cushion like you could on the GT2 buckets, but the new design doesn't allow for this, unfortunately.
D'oh. Looks like you can almost see the substrap buckle bolts through the seat slot. Can you unscrew / screw them in easily enough from the top without removing the seat for track days? Living with the 6-point center buckle on the seat every day seems like a bit much.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:50 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

D'oh. Looks like you can almost see the substrap buckle bolts through the seat slot. Can you unscrew / screw them in easily enough from the top without removing the seat for track days? Living with the 6-point center buckle on the seat every day seems like a bit much.
Just checked this am for you and it looks like you CAN access the bolts through the seat slot, so this is an option for you.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:11 AM
devenh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pic showing how the GT3 specific lap belt eyelets fit perfectly into the OEM mounting points:
Thanks for the write up, photos, and video! Very helpful for those of us trying to do the same thing.

Couple of questions:

1. Could you post a photo like the one above but with the OEM belts attached? I'd like to see it all put back together.

2. Looks like your lap belts are 2". I know these are SFI certified, but how do you feel about 2" vs 3" lap belts?

3. The Cantrell mounting point to the frame looks very secure, but it looks like the bar attaches to the mounting plate with two bolts. Do you think this is strong enough?
Old 04-12-2015, 11:33 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by devenh
Thanks for the write up, photos, and video! Very helpful for those of us trying to do the same thing.

Couple of questions:

1. Could you post a photo like the one above but with the OEM belts attached? I'd like to see it all put back together.

2. Looks like your lap belts are 2". I know these are SFI certified, but how do you feel about 2" vs 3" lap belts?

3. The Cantrell mounting point to the frame looks very secure, but it looks like the bar attaches to the mounting plate with two bolts. Do you think this is strong enough?
1)
The outer belt attachment. Fits perfectly with no changes.

The inner buckle attachment. You will need a longer bolt for this side

2) I used 3" belts with my boxster spyder and found that it sometimes difficult to get the wider 3" belts on to my hans device. Wider belts will sometimes ride on the ridges. The 2" makes it much easier to center the belts, IMO.

3) I will let the experts answer that question. I don't have the background knowledge to answer that.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:59 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Joe,

Excellent video walk through and pics, as always. Thank you.

BTW, I agree with others RE: rotors. I always get **** from the tech inspection folks that I need to change rotors, but the reality is that I get well over 10 hard track days out of them after being told my rotors are toast... YMMV but real life experience doesn't always jive with what everyone recommends RE: brake pads and rotors. This is on Porsches, BTW. Corvettes and the like, all bets are off.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:02 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Well done Joe!

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 04-12-2015, 02:10 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Joe! I bet those are fun to re-attach from the hole access.

When you had the seat out, did it look like one of the older substrap bar-style mounting methods could still be cooked up and clear things?

Just checked this am for you and it looks like you CAN access the bolts through the seat slot, so this is an option for you.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:19 PM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Finally IN and DONE!

passenger side!

Nice work, Joe.

Don't you feel your helmet is too close to the roof and your head is raked too far anteriorly towards the wheel? Your neck is in flexion already sitting in the neutral position. I have the same issues with my LWBs in the lowest position and am going to just put halo seats in. I wish I could find a base bracket that would allow me to change the rake of the driver's seat without drilling new holes in the seat base.

My passengers haven't liked the lack of adjustability of the LWBs on drives over 1 hour, either. I would like to get some 18-way ASSes for the street and just use halos on the track at this point.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:30 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Joe! I bet those are fun to re-attach from the hole access.

When you had the seat out, did it look like one of the older substrap bar-style mounting methods could still be cooked up and clear things?
No, I don't think you can do that because these seats sit very low to the ground. Even if you manage to fit some brackets, if anyone decides to lower the seat all of the way, you'll destroy your seats.

Originally Posted by neuroguru
Nice work, Joe.

Don't you feel your helmet is too close to the roof and your head is raked too far anteriorly towards the wheel? Your neck is in flexion already sitting in the neutral position. I have the same issues with my LWBs in the lowest position and am going to just put halo seats in. I wish I could find a base bracket that would allow me to change the rake of the driver's seat without drilling new holes in the seat base.

My passengers haven't liked the lack of adjustability of the LWBs on drives over 1 hour, either. I would like to get some 18-way ASSes for the street and just use halos on the track at this point.
It's funny because many of my friends complain of that, but I find it to be perfectly positioned. My preference is to sit upright, whereas others like to be reclined a bit more. Perhaps I have a bit of natural cervical kyphosis. LOL. Roof isn't an issue because the seats are height adjustable and I'm only 5'8". I agree that passengers will prefer more of a recline. But, this is a car for driving, not touring.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:56 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Is your data logger powered from the car? I'm still trying to find what lines to tap to power my solo dl.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:22 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bigkraig
Is your data logger powered from the car? I'm still trying to find what lines to tap to power my solo dl.
Obd2 connector is powered. I haven't connected to can yet, but plan to do so one of theses days
Old 04-12-2015, 07:42 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Doing some more work on the car today and took this video of the RWS actuator.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal