Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 12:36 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Joe!!! Congrats and thanks for the thread!

Question: have you hooked up Solo DL to your GT3's ECU/CAN bus yet? If so, how did you hook it up?

I'm told that Solo DL comes with a 6' cable to connect to CAN bus (at least nowadays). Does that allow you to connect to ECU/CAN bus, route it underneath the center console, and hook up to Solo DL mounted near the steering column? Or is a special cable needed as I know you've done with the Spyder?

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2015, 01:24 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Joe!!! Congrats and thanks for the thread!

Question: have you hooked up Solo DL to your GT3's ECU/CAN bus yet? If so, how did you hook it up?

I'm told that Solo DL comes with a 6' cable to connect to CAN bus (at least nowadays). Does that allow you to connect to ECU/CAN bus, route it underneath the center console, and hook up to Solo DL mounted near the steering column? Or is a special cable needed as I know you've done with the Spyder?

Thanks!
Vet,

Yes, I hooked up the GT3 via the OBD2 port instead this time. OBD2 gets me ALL of the channels that I would want from CAN. The only disadvantage is that CAN can log up to 50Hz, while OBD2 only does 10Hz. I'm ok with 10 Hz, so I just kept it simple. If you want to run a CAN line on the GT3, you can either connect under the steering column like you stated, OR (what I would do since access is easer) lift up the panel in the back of the car covering the main ECU and tap into the wires there.

On another note. Just got back from Thunderhill. What a day. What a car. More details to come later this week when I have time to edit the video and do a write up. In short, the car rules.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:40 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,750 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
On another note. Just got back from Thunderhill. What a day. What a car. More details to come later this week when I have time to edit the video and do a write up. In short, the car rules.

Can't wait to hear the details.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:50 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

OK, I've got a little time now during the lunch hour to post some stuff. Here's a couple of things

1) My fears of being able to handle a rear engine car are gone. This car is totally controllable. It does exactly what I want it to do, and if I screw up, it won't kill me.

2) PDK-S is awesome. I don't miss my manual AT ALL. I would NOT want a manul on this car if I was driving it on track at a fast pace. Too much going on. I never even touched the paddles. Full auto mode the entire time, and it was perfect shifting every time.

3) Alignment. After I went in to fix the rear toe, it was noted that the supension still settled at bit. Actual alignment numbers were zero toe front, 4mm total toe rear, -2.7 camber front, -2.4 camber rear. Front and rear sway bars in the middle position. The car drives near neutral with this. A touch of understeer at corner entry, and a touch of oversteer at corner exit. It's perfect. The only thing that needs to be changed is the rear camber. Keep in mind, my goal is EVEN tire wear, not ultimate grip. The front tires are wearing evenly, but the rear is still wearing a bit on the outer edge. I think I'll have the rear camber increased further to -2.6 or -2.7 (I should have just listened to Sam!)

4) Lap time. For reference, my lap times at Thunderhill with the 3 mile course over the top/cyclone config are:

Stock Subaru BRZ - 2:15
Boxster Spyder on NT01 tires - 2:04

I was able to get 1:58.5 my first time out with this car. It's unreal how awesome and fun it is to drive fast. No drama. Just fun. Watching my video, there is plenty of room for improvement still as well. My friend/co-owner of the car outdid me with 1:57.8 (That bastard! I'll post his video later). Our combined theoretical best lap was 1:56.6. I don't think 1:55 is unreasonable with this car in stock form.

6) The tires. MPSC2 are great tires. IMO, they are just as good as Nitto NT01 with maybe a touch more grip than NT01. I'm hoping they will last longer too, which would make the higher price more palatable.

7) The brakes. PFC11 didn't let me down. The first session it was a bit touchy because they weren't bedded. However, after the 2nd session, it was game on. Love the pads. They barely look worn after 150 track miles.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:55 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, I've got a little time now during the lunch hour to post some stuff. Here's a couple of things

1) My fears of being able to handle a rear engine car are gone. This car is totally controllable. It does exactly what I want it to do, and if I screw up, it won't kill me.

2) PDK-S is awesome. I don't miss my manual AT ALL. I would NOT want a manul on this car if I was driving it on track at a fast pace. Too much going on. I never even touched the paddles. Full auto mode the entire time, and it was perfect shifting every time.

3) Alignment. After I went in to fix the rear toe, it was noted that the supension still settled at bit. Actual alignment numbers were zero toe front, 4mm total toe rear, -2.7 camber front, -2.4 camber rear. Front and rear sway bars in the middle position. The car drives near neutral with this. A touch of understeer at corner entry, and a touch of oversteer at corner exit. It's perfect. The only thing that needs to be changed is the rear camber. Keep in mind, my goal is EVEN tire wear, not ultimate grip. The front tires are wearing evenly, but the rear is still wearing a bit on the outer edge. I think I'll have the rear camber increased further to -2.6 or -2.7 (I should have just listened to Sam!)

4) Lap time. For reference, my lap times at Thunderhill with the 3 mile course over the top/cyclone config are:

Stock Subaru BRZ - 2:15
Boxster Spyder on NT01 tires - 2:04

I was able to get 1:58.5 my first time out with this car. It's unreal how awesome and fun it is to drive fast. No drama. Just fun. Watching my video, there is plenty of room for improvement still as well. My friend/co-owner of the car outdid me with 1:57.8 (That bastard! I'll post his video later). Our combined theoretical best lap was 1:56.6. I don't think 1:55 is unreasonable with this car in stock form.

6) The tires. MPSC2 are great tires. IMO, they are just as good as Nitto NT01 with maybe a touch more grip than NT01. I'm hoping they will last longer too, which would make the higher price more palatable.

7) The brakes. PFC11 didn't let me down. The first session it was a bit touchy because they weren't bedded. However, after the 2nd session, it was game on. Love the pads. They barely look worn after 150 track miles.
Awesome ! I bet you would be pissed if you were slower. I would imagine you will only get faster once more experienced with the car.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:00 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Old 01-26-2015, 05:01 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rockitman
Awesome ! I bet you would be pissed if you were slower. I would imagine you will only get faster once more experienced with the car.
It would have been really embarrasing if I was slower than the spyder. LOL. I had my fears. Thankfully I destroyed my spyder time. LOL

Last edited by orthojoe; 01-26-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:03 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would have been really embarrasing if I was slower than the spyder. LOL. I had my fear. Thankfully I destroyed by spyder time. LOL
It will be interesting to see how much faster you continue to go...another 3-4 secs ?
Old 01-26-2015, 05:05 PM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the track update joe. I will be setting up my car soon. This info is very useful.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:21 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Nice video, how did you put that scene on the display? What system, love it!
Awesome car, wow a joy to see it go around Thunderhill.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:26 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great Joe

What were your cold and Hot tire pressures ??

Old 01-26-2015, 05:28 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rockitman
It will be interesting to see how much faster you continue to go...another 3-4 secs ?
Maybe? Only one way to find out.

Originally Posted by Rovman
Thanks for the track update joe. I will be setting up my car soon. This info is very useful.
No problem! Happy to be of help!

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Nice video, how did you put that scene on the display? What system, love it!
Awesome car, wow a joy to see it go around Thunderhill.
Thanks, Peter. I'm using dashware as my overlay software now. The 996 GT3 gauge cluster template was given to me by a rennlister who uses the same software. Now I just need to learn how to make a copy of the 991 gauge cluster...
Old 01-26-2015, 05:33 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Conekilr
Great Joe

What were your cold and Hot tire pressures ??

Forgot to mention that! Yes, started off with 24psi F and 26 psi rear cold. End goal was 32psi F and 35psi R. It seemed to work well that way.

One other thing:

The track precision app -

I'm sorry to say this, but it is a totally worthless POS. Don't get it. You won't use it. Just get a Solo DL and call it a day. You can't export video. It drops out, it's buggy, and you have to push start on your phone to activate every time. To add insult to injury, the only video that it put together for me was OUT OF SYNC.

Garbage.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:03 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Also shows how good the Spyder is - a car costing twice as much is only 5 sec faster.

Drove mine to Vegas & back last weekend. Easily the best car I've ever owned! Crazy fast! Not the same rush as a Turbo S or GT2, but it's nearly as fast and handles much better. Revs so fast I agree - a manual would be tough! Even managed close to 21mpg with my wife in the car. Not so good when solo, even though I kept it under 150 most of the time.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:07 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice video!

What are the three items affixed to the front windshield if I may ask? (left, center & right)

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal