991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impressions of GT3 (Manifold)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 06:47 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

fun2k, thanks for those observations.

I was wondering if cold and/or not being in sport mode might affect the shift time, so glad your experience is the same. I'll try manual with sport mode today.

I haven't owned a prior gen of GT3, this is my first GT3. I've driven a 7.2 GT3 and 7.2 RS on the track, and have a lot of road and track experience with my 7.1 C2S. Compared to those, the front of this 991 GT3 is much more dialed in, as I expected. The RWS may be part of that, but from my experiences driving a 991 C2S, I think the main difference is the 991 platform. In fact, when I drove a 991 C2S several times, I didn't feel that it had the 'magic 911 feel' like a 997 or prior gens, but the performance was stunning. This GT3 builds on that performance as I imagined it would (and should), and the dynamics of the car seem to have restored some of the magic 911 feel.

But I should add that, in my experience, these comparisons and contrasts are much more distinct when cars are driven back to back. I'll of course be doing many such comparisons in the coming weeks and months, and no doubt that will remind me of the more primitive pleasures of other cars - there are always some tradeoffs involved in design decisions. But regardless, in terms of connecting with the driver (or at least me) and delivering objective performance, the 991 GT3 is clearly an outstanding car. It's perhaps telling that I went to bed at midnight and would normally get up around 7, but this morning I woke up 5 thinking about the car, and couldn't get back to sleep, so here I am

Also, while the LWB seats are nice, since they're not snug like real track seats with serious bolsters, I don't think that someone planning to drive the car mainly on the road will be missing out on much if they have the standard seats or the 18-ways. I got the LWB seats for track use, yet am having to deal with this silly issue of the passenger seat not having the proper hole for crotch belts. And I'd say that the Cobra track seats (about $1K each) in my 997 give superior lateral support while perhaps being more comfortable overall than the LWBs. So I don't think the LWBs are a must-have option; at lower cost, more comfortable seats are available for the road, and more supportive seats available for the track. And visually, while the LWBs look good, I do think they have too much hardware exposed along the side, which looks a bit clunky.

Last edited by Manifold; 01-16-2015 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:19 AM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write up and honest observations.

HUGE congrats!

Um what about the pics?

Some of the things you mentioned others have and it's 'normal, such as "I'm not sure the car sounds right. Kind of 'truck-like' at idle."
Old 01-16-2015, 09:28 AM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine also shakes like a truck at idle, however after a good warm up it gets smoother. No rattles to date and no discernible slow up shifts. I think the PDK software adapts to our induvidual driving habits and as time goes by it may become quicker upshifting if that is your driving style.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:17 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

big congrats!

maybe the 'truck-like' sound at idle is the LWFW.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:19 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

Interesting take on the seats and appreciate your candor
Old 01-16-2015, 10:41 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the updates Manifold, keep them coming.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:47 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Did a second drive this morning, about 40 miles. Some observations:

- The most striking thing about the car is the way it feels connected to my brain. I think it, the car does it. Immediately. It's not so much feeling one with the car, but rather the car feeling an extension of my body and mind. This is a big part of why I paid so much for a car. Looking forward to finding out how much this applies on the track.

- I do suspect that the noise is chatter from the LWFW or gearbox. It actually reminds me of what I've heard from the 997 cup, except much quieter. And it definitely smooths out with speed. I kind of like how the sounds and character of the car vary, makes it more interesting.

- Temps have been about 29 to 34 F, so I've been taking a bit easy, not wanting to ball up the car within the first day. But the grip from the Michelins at these temps has been very good, never a moment when I felt loss of grip.

- The force needed to move the stick in manual mode is a bit more than I'd like, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I also don't like the feel of the lever at the top of the stick (would prefer the top to be round), but I suppose I'll get used to that too.

- Downshifts are always very fast, and upshifts were also fast with a few exceptions. Does seem to depend on how warm the car is, whether sport mode is on, and how aggressively the car is being driven.

- Love the feel of the alcantara wheel. And the stock interior looks good overall. Simple and functional, but not cheap.

- Interesting how the exterior of the car looks big from some vantage points, smaller from others. And the car also simultaneously feels big and small - big with respect to comfort and stability, small with respect to agility and handling.

- Probably scraped the bottom of the splitter a bit coming out of a gas station. But my driveway is fairly steep, and I've had no problems with scraping by going slow and at an angle. I think I made the right call in not getting the front lift.

- Driving 35-38 mph in a 40 mph zone behind a slow car, for miles, sucks. In any car. But be careful with your licenses, 100 on the highway feels like nothing (hypothetically )!
Old 01-16-2015, 11:01 AM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great observations. Can you comment on the quality of exhaust note ? How enjoyable and engaging is the car at below 6 k ?Also post pics when you get a chance. My car is same spec as yours.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:09 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vf430
Great observations. Can you comment on the quality of exhaust note ? How enjoyable and engaging is the car at below 6 k ?Also post pics when you get a chance. My car is same spec as yours.
I've maxed at 5k once or twice, generally kept it below 4.2k. Exhaust note is just starting to get good around 4k, fairly tame below that. Seems calibrated for Jekyll and Hyde personality, and I've seen only glimpses of Hyde so far. I wouldn't mind the car being more screamy below 4k with the sport exhaust on.

Will post a pic or two this weekend, though the car looks like many you guys have already seen. Speaking of guys, do we have any female owners of the 991 GT3?
Old 01-16-2015, 11:10 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Congrats!

I've been trying to work out the slow shifts since I got the car 8,000 miles ago! Sometimes the shift is slow. By this I mean the response time between flicking the stick or paddle and actuation of the shift. Sometimes it takes about half a second. The shift itself is always imperceptibly short with no discernible power interruption. It seems to be on up shift only. More likely in lower rpm range. Definitely makes no difference with PDK sport or otherwise. It's not a 'random' occurrence, i.e. if you repeat the same shift in same circumstances it will always take the same time. Not sure if it's affected by engine temp so will try this!
Old 01-16-2015, 11:19 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
I've been trying to work out the slow shifts since I got the car 8,000 miles ago! Sometimes the shift is slow. By this I mean the response time between flicking the stick or paddle and actuation of the shift. Sometimes it takes about half a second. The shift itself is always imperceptibly short with no discernible power interruption. It seems to be on up shift only. More likely in lower rpm range. Definitely makes no difference with PDK sport or otherwise. It's not a 'random' occurrence, i.e. if you repeat the same shift in same circumstances it will always take the same time. Not sure if it's affected by engine temp so will try this!
Yes, about half-second delay in response to the paddle is what I've experienced, the shift itself is fast. And it's only with the upshifts, response to the paddle for downshifts is always fast. Might be worth start another thread to find out how common/normal this is. I'd prefer never having any delay with upshifts or downshifts, regardless of rpm, how warm the transmission is, etc.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:40 AM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It's definitely slower to shift when the engine is cold. Let it reach operating temperatures to really test it out. Once at temp the only time I have noticed it slow is when I am randomly throwing the gears around trying to get a feel for the shift speed, doing normal things like shifting up while accelerating and down while decelerating is always fast.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:41 AM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Congrats Manifold.

I remember how much you laboured over your decision to get this car or not and am very happy to hear that it has met or exceeded your expectations...

Enjoy in good health and I look forward to reading more of your impressions as you get more seat time.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:43 AM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Did a second drive this morning, about 40 miles. Some observations: - The most striking thing about the car is the way it feels connected to your brain. ...... Temps have been about 29 to 34 F, so I've been taking a bit easy, not wanting to ball up the car within the first day. But the grip from the Michelins at these temps has been very good, never a moment when I felt loss of grip. - )!
It is connected to your brain! It says "Go faster... It's ok!" But remember your words from November to me in a previous thread. I did check the manufacturers guideline. They said they don't recommend driving on them below 40 degrees. They even say they should not be exposed to temps of 32! And if you accidentally do, you should gradually return them to 70 degrees before you should roll on them. Now this is probably lawyers speech, but you have always erred on the side of caution. And safety. Be careful, it is easy once you get in this car to forget everything! That's why I like driving it when I feel bad, it always makes me feel better. Here's what you said to me back in November. And that is why I bought Alpins for the winter.
Originally Posted by Manifold
Check the guidelines from Dunlop. R-comp tires can have the rubber harden and irreversibly crack when the temps get too low. That's a risky situation, since a damaged tire can fail abruptly. Same also applies to some of the non-R summer street tires.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:45 AM
Tosilog
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats! I'm glad to hear that you are at peace with your purchase and enjoying the car. It was quite a thread you started a few months back.

Quick Reply: Impressions of GT3 (Manifold)