Sponsored by:

Gentlemen I really need your help

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 10:54 PM
Gravity
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Nick, maybe we're dealing with semantics here but can you clarify your assertion with respect to the extract from the Porsche technical docs below? Based on the info it would seem that there is an active component to the pressure regulation and not just the passive effect of the bearing clearances.

1.10 Oil supply
Compared with the current 911 Carrera models, the new 911 GT3 features classic
dry-sump lubrication with a separate engine oil tank. This system ensures a reliable
oil supply for street and race circuit use.
Red - Pressure side
Orange - Intake side
Dry-sump lubrication
To allow dry-sump lubrication based on the new generation of engines (991), the oil
pan had to be completely redeveloped. The basis for this is the oil supply system
used in the current 911 Carrera models with four oil extraction pumps for the cylinder
heads, an additional oil extraction pump in the oil pan and an oil pressure pump.
There are also two additional oil extraction points in the oil pan at the front and rear
so that the oil can be pumped out reliably into the separate oil tank even during
heavy acceleration and intensive braking phases.
Oil pump
In order to reduce the drive losses of auxiliary units as well as churning losses, the
new 911 GT3 is equipped with an electronic demand-controlled oil pump. With this
oil pump, the delivery pressure and volume are controlled for the entire engine map.

It also ensures demand-controlled lubrication and minimizes the energy consumption
of the oil pump.
1 - Variable pressure pump
2 - Suction pump (4 x)
3 - Control valve
In addition to the demand-controlled oil pump, the new 911 GT3 is fitted with not
just one (911 Carrera) but two piston oil spray nozzles, which are opened together,
depending on the temperature, load and engine speed. This allows more intensive
cooling of the pistons, which are subjected to high thermal loads.
Mike. At any time has your car far exceeded pressure in the digital gauge on your dash. And by that I mean plus 70 psi My 997 gt3. Hits 5 bar all the time but it's mezger engine this one is new. So ????
Old 01-09-2015, 11:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravity
Mike. At any time has your car far exceeded pressure in the digital gauge on your dash. And by that I mean plus 70 psi My 997 gt3. Hits 5 bar all the time but it's mezger engine this one is new. So ????
Gravity, IIRC when I posted my numbers to your other thread I noted 70 PSI @ 7K rpm and 72 PSI @ 8K rpm. So yeah, I hit 5 bar (72 PSI) at high rpm.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:30 AM
3point9liters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gravity, IIRC when I posted my numbers to your other thread I noted 70 PSI @ 7K rpm and 72 PSI @ 8K rpm. So yeah, I hit 5 bar (72 PSI) at high rpm.
Same here. And Gravity don't worry, people do not think you are too sensitive. You should watch out for your car...but I remember when I had gtr when it first came out, the so called gtr master did not know jack about the car. So I started to look into a lot of things myself, and I did scare myself a few times which turned out to be nothing. (Hey I was not talking the transmission grinding noise which I knew was normal) so I hope given gt3 is brand new design that these phenomenon may be a normal variation. Relax, enjoy the car as much as you should, if it happens again, then have them repaired it. And screw it get a .2 when it comes out.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:56 AM
RUF RS
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 154 Posts

That's great, Gravity. I know there were concerns at one time as to how Porsche was treating some of it's most loyal and enthusiastic customers (ie GT car buyers), but I don't think there is any doubt now that they have and will continue to bend over backwards to make sure things are right with this car. Glad you are happy with the resolution of your issue.
They DID for me for sure.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:55 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi gravity.... I am getting similar numbers. I recorded 69 psi at 7k RPM and 72 psi at 8k and around 8.9k I am hitting 75 psi. So I am hitting too 5 bar at high RPM. It is normal and car runs perfect. I think the highest pressure I have ever recorded was 76 psi at red line and that's from my memory when I did this excercise last August.

IF you are concerned with these number, I am pretty sure they are normal numbers. The demand for oil lubrication is high at high rpm and you should expect the oil pressures to be high to keep up with the demand. Please let me know if you want us to run more numbers for you. Mark
Old 01-13-2015, 11:31 PM
Gravity
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again thanks for all your help guys still waiting on Porsche. I'm still pegging 5 bar at 5000 tho but that's why it's got 6 years warranty. I bought the extra 2 I keep all my cars

Quick Reply: Gentlemen I really need your help