Sponsored by:

Gentlemen I really need your help

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 12:15 AM
Gravity
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
With engine warm mine shows 19-20 at idle, 44 at 2000 and 48 at 3000. Hope this helps. Unable to go any higher in my driving environment today.
Any and all helps. Thanks
Old 01-07-2015, 05:41 PM
3point9liters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gravity

Any and all helps. Thanks

Sorry it took me a while to get the needed data Gravity needs. Mine is very similar to Mike in CA when both hot and cold. Mine also has what seemingly high pressure when engine is started cold. Around 50-60. Within 5 mins or so, the pressure will come down to 20. After driving a while the pressure drops to 17-18 at idle.

Good luck man, and let us know how it goes. Porsche in lights of many preexisting circumstances with .1 gt3 will likely take care of you well...
Old 01-07-2015, 10:09 PM
Gravity
Instructor

Originally Posted by straight-road
Sorry it took me a while to get the needed data Gravity needs. Mine is very similar to Mike in CA when both hot and cold. Mine also has what seemingly high pressure when engine is started cold. Around 50-60. Within 5 mins or so, the pressure will come down to 20. After driving a while the pressure drops to 17-18 at idle.

Good luck man, and let us know how it goes. Porsche in lights of many preexisting circumstances with .1 gt3 will likely take care of you well...
Got word back prom Porsche Ag today. They are having a meeting with the engineers I am told and will be flying out a new pressure relief valve for the lines to the radiator. The car has resumed normal operation but the think the the PRV is acting out and want it replaced.
The car will be repaired and returned to me on Monday for my use. I have been instructed that if the car acts up again in any way to immediately return it to the dealer so that hopefully the condition will still remain above spec in the car. At this point and if this happens I have been informed that a new motor will be shipped. Let's hope it's the PRV by the rads.
Having said all this I am so grateful that Porsche have responded in such an immediate and caring manner to ensure that I am dealt with in a manner as befits the car. Kudos to Porsche. I'm sad the car is hurt but very glad that this is not being pushed under the rug.
Even after the car returned to normal spec. At no time did anybody try to say that maybe the nut behind the wheel was the problem. For this I am thankful. We all love our cars and know when they change their behaviour abruptly. Thanks again gentleman. Will post again in a couple of weeks to update
Old 01-07-2015, 10:13 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,387 Likes on 720 Posts

^Great to hear. You will be taken care of. I bet it is just the pressure valve
Old 01-08-2015, 01:07 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Got to be impressed by Porsche's handling of these issues.

Dan (notes Nissan did the same for him and would expect no less from Porsche)
Old 01-08-2015, 02:56 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Great news.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:29 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome news Gravity. I'm sure now you can relax a bit. Nice to see Porsche doing the right thing, as expected.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

That's great, Gravity. I know there were concerns at one time as to how Porsche was treating some of it's most loyal and enthusiastic customers (ie GT car buyers), but I don't think there is any doubt now that they have and will continue to bend over backwards to make sure things are right with this car. Glad you are happy with the resolution of your issue.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:07 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravity
Got word back prom Porsche Ag today. They are having a meeting with the engineers I am told and will be flying out a new pressure relief valve for the lines to the radiator. The car has resumed normal operation but the think the the PRV is acting out and want it replaced.
The car will be repaired and returned to me on Monday for my use. I have been instructed that if the car acts up again in any way to immediately return it to the dealer so that hopefully the condition will still remain above spec in the car. At this point and if this happens I have been informed that a new motor will be shipped. Let's hope it's the PRV by the rads.
Having said all this I am so grateful that Porsche have responded in such an immediate and caring manner to ensure that I am dealt with in a manner as befits the car. Kudos to Porsche. I'm sad the car is hurt but very glad that this is not being pushed under the rug.
Even after the car returned to normal spec. At no time did anybody try to say that maybe the nut behind the wheel was the problem. For this I am thankful. We all love our cars and know when they change their behaviour abruptly. Thanks again gentleman. Will post again in a couple of weeks to update

This is great but I think it is better to have higher pressure than lower pressure. Modern Porsches have on demand oil pumps to reduce losses and improve fuel economy. Older models have constantly driven oil pumps and consistently higher pressures.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:24 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

I don't know what the problem is with the higher pressure,but I do know the common misconception that oil pressure is generated by the oil pump. Wrong! I've said it in the past,the oil pump creates volume not pressure. The pressure is given by the clearances between the bearings inside the engine. Why do you think Porsche said they would replace the engine(not motor) if the pressure relief valve is not the culprit? Ask yourselves that.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:50 PM
Gravity
Instructor

Further update. Porsche have been outstanding and I am told are very concerned about my issue. The car has returned to normal spec while with the dealership. And Porsche have told the dealer to return the car to me untouched. . I'm happy that it's returned to normal. And happy that Porsche are extremely aware of my issue. I'm taking it out tomorrow in the snow for a good romp to see if I can replicate the problem If I get the chance I'll take a couple pics of the car in the white rain lol lol will continue to post
Old 01-08-2015, 10:02 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I don't know what the problem is with the higher pressure,but I do know the common misconception that oil pressure is generated by the oil pump. Wrong! I've said it in the past,the oil pump creates volume not pressure. The pressure is given by the clearances between the bearings inside the engine. Why do you think Porsche said they would replace the engine(not motor) if the pressure relief valve is not the culprit? Ask yourselves that.
Nick, maybe we're dealing with semantics here but can you clarify your assertion with respect to the extract from the Porsche technical docs below? Based on the info it would seem that there is an active component to the pressure regulation and not just the passive effect of the bearing clearances.

1.10 Oil supply
Compared with the current 911 Carrera models, the new 911 GT3 features classic
dry-sump lubrication with a separate engine oil tank. This system ensures a reliable
oil supply for street and race circuit use.
Red - Pressure side
Orange - Intake side
Dry-sump lubrication
To allow dry-sump lubrication based on the new generation of engines (991), the oil
pan had to be completely redeveloped. The basis for this is the oil supply system
used in the current 911 Carrera models with four oil extraction pumps for the cylinder
heads, an additional oil extraction pump in the oil pan and an oil pressure pump.
There are also two additional oil extraction points in the oil pan at the front and rear
so that the oil can be pumped out reliably into the separate oil tank even during
heavy acceleration and intensive braking phases.
Oil pump
In order to reduce the drive losses of auxiliary units as well as churning losses, the
new 911 GT3 is equipped with an electronic demand-controlled oil pump. With this
oil pump, the delivery pressure and volume are controlled for the entire engine map.

It also ensures demand-controlled lubrication and minimizes the energy consumption
of the oil pump.
1 - Variable pressure pump
2 - Suction pump (4 x)
3 - Control valve
In addition to the demand-controlled oil pump, the new 911 GT3 is fitted with not
just one (911 Carrera) but two piston oil spray nozzles, which are opened together,
depending on the temperature, load and engine speed. This allows more intensive
cooling of the pistons, which are subjected to high thermal loads.
Attached Images    
Old 01-08-2015, 10:21 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Mike,you are correct. I have seen these documents when you've posted them before but had forgotten about the dry sump pressure pump.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:07 AM
Toprpm
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Nick, maybe we're dealing with semantics here but can you clarify your assertion with respect to the extract from the Porsche technical docs below? Based on the info it would seem that there is an active component to the pressure regulation and not just the passive effect of the bearing clearances.

1.10 Oil supply
Compared with the current 911 Carrera models, the new 911 GT3 features classic
dry-sump lubrication with a separate engine oil tank. This system ensures a reliable
oil supply for street and race circuit use.
Red - Pressure side
Orange - Intake side
Dry-sump lubrication
To allow dry-sump lubrication based on the new generation of engines (991), the oil
pan had to be completely redeveloped. The basis for this is the oil supply system
used in the current 911 Carrera models with four oil extraction pumps for the cylinder
heads, an additional oil extraction pump in the oil pan and an oil pressure pump.
There are also two additional oil extraction points in the oil pan at the front and rear
so that the oil can be pumped out reliably into the separate oil tank even during
heavy acceleration and intensive braking phases.
Oil pump
In order to reduce the drive losses of auxiliary units as well as churning losses, the
new 911 GT3 is equipped with an electronic demand-controlled oil pump. With this
oil pump, the delivery pressure and volume are controlled for the entire engine map.

It also ensures demand-controlled lubrication and minimizes the energy consumption
of the oil pump.
1 - Variable pressure pump
2 - Suction pump (4 x)
3 - Control valve
In addition to the demand-controlled oil pump, the new 911 GT3 is fitted with not
just one (911 Carrera) but two piston oil spray nozzles, which are opened together,
depending on the temperature, load and engine speed. This allows more intensive
cooling of the pistons, which are subjected to high thermal loads.
Thanks for sharing it. was trying to figer out the oil layout system.

Got one question. not sure of P cars. but does GT3 have engine Oil cooler?
Old 01-09-2015, 10:52 PM
Gravity
Instructor

Originally Posted by Toprpm
Thanks for sharing it. was trying to figer out the oil layout system.

Got one question. not sure of P cars. but does GT3 have engine Oil cooler?
Yes the oil actually runs a line out to the front of the car to the front radiators. And there is a pressure relief valve in there as well.

Took the car back today in spoiler deep snow and ran it
Sigh. At 6000 rpm my dash digital gauge shows 72. Psi. When I run it into the 7k plus range it shows max red line pressure at 73 psi.
All the way to 9k. I'm pushing over red line as per the dash gauge at 73 psi. And the analog gauge is showing 5 bar at the top of the gauge.
Guys. I really need some more input. Can someone please take there car out and give me digital read outs from their gauge at 5 6 7 and 8 k.
Is anybody hitting redline oil pressure in psi. Again. It's just a question. And again I must reiterate that Porsche are very concerned and are meeting to discuss my case. So this is not a knock on Porsche as they are being great. Just if I could get more info. It would really help. Thanks again guys

Quick Reply: Gentlemen I really need your help