Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'My GT3 without the "button"

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 01:06 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a glaring QC oversight. What happened to the testing of every function (lites, wipers, locks, radio, lift, hvac, etc)? What happened during the test drive? The driver didnt see this either? Perhaps all those fancy "production line videos" should be taken w/ a grain of salt. Kinda reminds me of when the furniture store delivered my new sofa w/o the seat cushions!

Meanwhile the march towards 200,000 continues...

-Capt Obvious
Old 01-05-2015, 04:19 PM
Lebo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kosmo
This is a glaring QC oversight. What happened to the testing of every function (lites, wipers, locks, radio, lift, hvac, etc)? What happened during the test drive? The driver didnt see this either? Perhaps all those fancy "production line videos" should be taken w/ a grain of salt. Kinda reminds me of when the furniture store delivered my new sofa w/o the seat cushions!

Meanwhile the march towards 200,000 continues...

-Capt Obvious
I was wondering , as to why this could've happened in the gt3 ? Was it because it is not a more mass produced car than a cayenne for example , and that this was not a normal quality checklist followed by Porsche for this custom made car ?
I mean a simple check as you have mentioned before can show this fault ,,,,,still wondering and guessing and I bet that it is more than 2 cars .
Old 01-05-2015, 04:26 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
Manufacturers get "paid" when the cars leave the assembly plant. Essentially, the transport company officially owns the cars until they arrive at the dealer, then the dealer owns them.
My point is that it's possible that Porsche did not have enough of the correct console panels and substituted the wrong ones so that they could "sell" the cars, knowing that the cars would have to be corrected once they were delivered. Ideally, these cars should have been flagged and repaired by Porsche at the respective dealers (as the correct parts became available) before delivery if this was the case, but it seems that's not how Porsche rolls.
I don't think that this was an unintentional mis-build as all manufacturers have major components marked with bar code labels which contain part number info as well as birth history. The manufacturers scan the labels at assembly as a means of errorproofing, as well as a way to identify which components when into which cars for future quality actions.
You'd be surprised by the number of cars that have to be repaired prior to shipment, for a variety of reasons.
I think it is HIGHLY unlikely Porsche would knowingly report sales of cars missing the correct parts. That is a bridge too far.

Technically, the dealer owns the vehicle at FOB shipping point, not the transportation company, which never takes ownership of the vehicle.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:13 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Lebo
Todd , you were correct . The wires were there and now they need to order a new console including the necessary software work in-house ,.this would take 2 weeks+ and will keep everyone posted .
Thanks to all
Great to hear you're getting it resolved.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:19 AM
Lebo
Instructor

Default Finally recieved my PDK sports "button"

Guys , the local dealer in Dubai has finally fitted my missing sports "button" and everything is so far , so good . Didn't see much difference in performance , anyone care to advise if there is anything i need to do , in terms of the way i drive it ??
Old 01-20-2015, 10:25 AM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys , the local dealer in Dubai has finally fitted my missing sports "button" and everything is so far , so good . Didn't see much difference in performance , anyone care to advise if there is anything i need to do , in terms of the way i drive it ??
Make sure you are in auto and not manual when you push pdkS
Old 01-20-2015, 10:28 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Drive medium to slow speed in regular mode, you should hit 7th gear at around 35-37 mph. Then try PDK-S, the difference should be extremely noticeable. Both in auto, of course.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:32 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

The difference with sport button in manual mode is too subtle for me to detect. However, in auto mode the difference with sport is dramatic. The car revs higher in all gears as it holds gears longer (ur drive will be noticeably louder and you'll feel greater torque). Sport is mainly for track use and excellent for it, but I do engage it in the city when I get any room to stretch the car's legs.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:41 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

This is nothing new. A Porsche Canada 991 test car we had in 2012 had buttons mixed up. I don't remember the specifics but you'd press the shock button and disable the stability control or something like that.

Quick Reply: 'My GT3 without the "button"