Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'My GT3 without the "button"

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 01:53 PM
Lebo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it is a 2015 and just got it 5 days ago . The production sticker shows 10/ 2104
Old 01-02-2015, 02:11 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
This is perhaps signs of a company now making so many varieties and numbers of vehicles, that QC is not up to par????
Manufacturers get "paid" when the cars leave the assembly plant. Essentially, the transport company officially owns the cars until they arrive at the dealer, then the dealer owns them.
My point is that it's possible that Porsche did not have enough of the correct console panels and substituted the wrong ones so that they could "sell" the cars, knowing that the cars would have to be corrected once they were delivered. Ideally, these cars should have been flagged and repaired by Porsche at the respective dealers (as the correct parts became available) before delivery if this was the case, but it seems that's not how Porsche rolls.
I don't think that this was an unintentional mis-build as all manufacturers have major components marked with bar code labels which contain part number info as well as birth history. The manufacturers scan the labels at assembly as a means of errorproofing, as well as a way to identify which components when into which cars for future quality actions.
You'd be surprised by the number of cars that have to be repaired prior to shipment, for a variety of reasons.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:43 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^ right. In short it's accounting.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:57 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Lebo
Dealer in Dubai is taking my car on Monday to check if the wiring is there and then they would order the console just the buttons . I believe some wires are not connected , because when I press the suspension button ( which should be the sports bu tton ) I get a confirmation that sports suspension set ....

Lebo, it should just be a coding issue on the car. The wires for the console are there. You just need a new console with the button, or the button to add to your console.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:04 PM
Lebo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Todd B
Lebo, it should just be a coding issue on the car. The wires for the console are there. You just need a new console with the button, or the button to add to your console.
That would be really good if this was the case . I will give you my feedback after I visit the dealer on Monday
Old 01-02-2015, 04:18 PM
UAEGT3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good luck my friend. keep us posted
Old 01-02-2015, 05:10 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
Manufacturers get "paid" when the cars leave the assembly plant. Essentially, the transport company officially owns the cars until they arrive at the dealer, then the dealer owns them.
My point is that it's possible that Porsche did not have enough of the correct console panels and substituted the wrong ones so that they could "sell" the cars, knowing that the cars would have to be corrected once they were delivered. Ideally, these cars should have been flagged and repaired by Porsche at the respective dealers (as the correct parts became available) before delivery if this was the case, but it seems that's not how Porsche rolls.
I don't think that this was an unintentional mis-build as all manufacturers have major components marked with bar code labels which contain part number info as well as birth history. The manufacturers scan the labels at assembly as a means of errorproofing, as well as a way to identify which components when into which cars for future quality actions.
You'd be surprised by the number of cars that have to be repaired prior to shipment, for a variety of reasons.

I am not sure I would believe it, that Porsche would purposely "misbuild" the console on this car (with it's history of issues) just to move a certain "#" of cars out the door. More likely, a supplier mislabeled the console parts, and the bar code QC check didn't help catch it, and the person putting it in place didn't know the difference, and the final inspection person didn't have this on his/her check list to look for before sending it on.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:29 PM
NYC_AREA_GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was this confirmed to be the case in the other GT3 that had the missing PDK Sport button?

Lebo - fingers crossed, hang in there
Old 01-03-2015, 01:19 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NYC_AREA_GT3
Was this confirmed to be the case in the other GT3 that had the missing PDK Sport button?
Maybe this picture will help. There's only 3 wires going to the center console. Here's pic of the underside with connector plugged in.
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2015, 02:48 PM
Lebo
Instructor

Maybe this picture will help. There's only 3 wires going to the center console. Here's pic of the underside with connector plugged in.
This is a pretty good explanation , I am positive that this would be a simple replacement of console . Many thanks for this elaborate detail
By the way is this your cars console ?
Old 01-04-2015, 10:10 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 985 Likes on 511 Posts

Lebo, It would be interesting if you could get a photo like the one above by Todd B to compare the numbers on the stickers.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:55 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Lebo, It would be interesting if you could get a photo like the one above by Todd B to compare the numbers on the stickers.
The picture is from a 981 Cayman S. Doesn't really matter on the part numbers, since the panel is interchangeable with all 981/991 cars.

The repair kit, which is a new panel with all the possible buttons is 991.613.965.05. Getting this kit would be one way to get rid of all the blanks.

Last edited by Todd B; 01-04-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:46 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 985 Likes on 511 Posts

I was searching for some additional information on another topic and came across this response to another member trying to add the extended fuel tank to his order after it locked.

"We have looked into this situation in depth. Unfortunately once a vehicle has surpassed it's freeze point it is simply impossible to change its configuration. The just in time parts process that Porsche adopted back in the 90's is an extremely intricate one which involves intense logistical planning to ensure very specific parts arrive just at the right place in production for each vehicle. Changing just one vehicle after everything has been planned affects the production of all the other vehicles in line at the time and would cause massive delays and production backups for everyone so it just simply isn't possible. "

Maybe someone changed an order and......
Old 01-04-2015, 07:18 PM
blinsc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
More likely, a supplier mislabeled the console parts, and the bar code QC check didn't help catch it, and the person putting it in place didn't know the difference, and the final inspection person didn't have this on his/her check list to look for before sending it on.
If I had to bet money, this is the explanation I would bet is the real cause.

The button thing is a huge issue because:

1) All GT3s are special (for a variety of reasons, not least of which is the low production count) and there is this idea that each car is carefully assembled by the designers and engineers that created it. The truth is, part of the car (or possibly the entire thing) is put together by people that may have never driven a Porsche in their lives, let alone know what "PDK Sport" is.

2) Just about every GT3 is a custom order, so anything wrong with it is going to be a glaring issue. Just imagine if the GT3 you ordered came with the wrong wheels? You'd notice it in a microsecond, but the person that put the wheels on it wouldn't see anything wrong with it without having to refer to the order sheet, and if it scanned correctly, there's no way that issue is getting caught.

Slightly OT: has Porsche announced a specific production number/limit for the 991 GT3 (not counting any future variants like RS)?
Old 01-05-2015, 12:47 PM
Lebo
Instructor

Todd , you were correct . The wires were there and now they need to order a new console including the necessary software work in-house ,.this would take 2 weeks+ and will keep everyone posted .
Thanks to all

Quick Reply: 'My GT3 without the "button"