Sponsored by:

GT3 vs . Scud

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 12:55 AM
Maswrapido
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 vs . Scud

anyone moved from a scuderia to a 991 GT3? Can you share your experiences and preferences
Old 12-30-2014, 01:09 AM
nycjwi
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a Scud now and will be getting a 2015 gt3 end of january. they are both truly amazing cars (have not driven the speciale yet) but in totally different ways. the scud as you know feels raw and maybe slightly dangerous in every sense of the word. I also think its one of the best looking cars out there. The 2015 GT3 however, where it lacks in rawness it makes up for in precision and control. I think that porsche really nailed it with this car. I probably would chose this car in a race or on a track as it has better handling and just as much speed, however if I could only have one I would go with the scud. my vote is to get both, but can't really go wrong with either car! Once the price drops on the speciale i will get one of these for sure!
Old 12-30-2014, 01:27 AM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a scud last year , drove about 10 k miles. Best car i ever owned. I am now waiting for my 2015 gt3 to arrive in jan. The above poster summed it up perfectly. For reference , I had a 2011 gt3 as well. For street , canyon runs , weekend use hard to beat the excitement scud delivers. Very very few cars offer the same level of thrill. If i was not tracking , i would have kept the scud. Scud is very reliable for track use too but was expensive from consumables standpoint. Double clutch durability vs single , ccb vs steel etc.

Gt3 is the best do it all car ,very easy to live with. Depends on your usage and purpose. Based on my past experince with gt3 , it comes alive only in high rpms, Scud is crazy engaging and sounds insane pretty much any rpm any speed. The F1 gearbox of the scud is the highpoint , very fast and viscreal feedback on upshifts.

Gt3 is an overall better/faster car due to chasis advancements 6 years newer tech pdk etc. For track use gt3 is the way to go , for weekend fun car scud is the way to go. For track and street gt3.

Last edited by vf430; 12-30-2014 at 01:44 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:48 AM
easy888
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I currently have both and can best sum it up this way: if this car you eventually buy is for everyday use, then the GT3 is it. If it is for a weekend spurt, then the Scud.

If possible, get both.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:50 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Having owned a Scud for a year I will say it is probably the most exciting car I've ever owned.....Over the GT3, 458, Viper ACR, Z06, GTR.....just my opinion
Old 12-30-2014, 10:33 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If anyone chooses a GT3 over a scud they are insane.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:39 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Originally Posted by jem7v
If anyone chooses a GT3 over a scud they are insane.
I wouldn't go that far.....you're talking about 6 or 7 year old car with maint and warranty issues that will be much different than the GT3....
Old 12-30-2014, 11:05 AM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

not to side track thread but how about scud vrs 458?
Old 12-30-2014, 11:46 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Originally Posted by Nick Yoskin
not to side track thread but how about scud vrs 458?
There are certain aspects of the Scud that are definitely missed with the 458....but the 458 is an absolutely incredible machine and I don't regret the change....
Old 12-30-2014, 12:42 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
I wouldn't go that far.....you're talking about 6 or 7 year old car with maint and warranty issues that will be much different than the GT3....
That's ok lol. There are plenty of people who have them with no issues. Plus ferrari offers a 9 year warranty, you just have to pay for it . Plus lets be honest, hardly any ferrari owners of these cars put miles on them. They think if it has 10k miles it will spontaneously combust.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:59 PM
nycjwi
Instructor

These are all amazing cars! you can't go wrong with any of them! i think the key is to drive them all and then it really becomes a personal choice based on what you are looking for in a car.

No once we get to the speciale that may be be a different can of worms. i just have not driven that car yet!
Old 12-30-2014, 01:29 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Originally Posted by jem7v

That's ok lol. There are plenty of people who have them with no issues. Plus ferrari offers a 9 year warranty, you just have to pay for it . Plus lets be honest, hardly any ferrari owners of these cars put miles on them. They think if it has 10k miles it will spontaneously combust.
Very true but you minimize your losses with a newer car....case in point my 2008 Scud, with a warranty, developed a significant suspension problem with 4000 miles....no coverage.....cost just to investigate was substantial.....left the car at the dealer on an early trade for the 458....
Old 12-30-2014, 01:49 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I did not even think about trading my SCUD for a GT3. The SCUD is a totally unadulterated RAW machine. For its simplicity, its the best car I have right now. That is why I did not put that much option in my GT3. I've learned, you cannot put a good car down, how ever is the list price on it.

I am getting back to a Pcar after selling my C4S but I will not trade my SCUD. I actually traded my C4S to a F430 but will not make that mistake again.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:06 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting then how prices of 997.2 rs have "tried" to creep up to the 170-180 range (I don't think anyone is paying that - except for the practically 0 mile cars) when scuds are what? 185-205? My buddy just bought a scud and couldn't be happier.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:43 PM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I owned a Scud for about 1.5 years and pick up my GT3 this Friday! I couldn't have been happier with the Scud. Best car I've ever owned by far. I've owned a lot of exotics and nothing compares to it. It's raw, angry, and wants to kill you. The banshee wale was intoxicating, the F1-S transmission wanting to give you whiplash was exciting, and the connection to the road was amazing! The car was also so raw that the frame was exposed and there were no floor mats. I really liked this "feature" as it made the car fill the role it was meant to. It 100% business with creature comforts clearly thrown out or added as an after thought(Worst stereo and navigation in any car I've ever owned!). I loved that car and miss it.

However, the maintenance on the car was quite pricey. 2-3k in annual maintenance is normal. When I sold the car I had to replace normal wear items; a front control arm bushing, battery, and tie rod joint for 6k. I argued about how ridiculous that was and eventually got it to 3k which is still crazy but every part has to be Ferrari branded otherwise you can't sell it... I believe the Scud will one day appreciate in value and be worthy collector car but I'm not willing to sit around spending 2-3k a year in maintenance waiting for the day . The other minus of a Ferrari in general is selling it. Buyers are so fickle. Every record has to come from a dealership, mileage is very big deal on resale, and anything aftermarket is highly frowned upon. I had 1 aftermarket "mod" which was a radar detector installed in the mirror and I spent 30 minutes taking pictures of the wiring as an example. I'd do it all again though because of how amazing the car is.

I look forward to the GT3 because it's under warranty and I can track it all I want with a warranty. I'm not sure how the Porsche crowd is for resale but I assume it will be much easier than an Fcar. It will never be a Scud and I don't expect it to be. I had my fun with Ferrari and am looking forward to the next fun car, the GT3 and then the GT3RS

Quick Reply: GT3 vs . Scud