Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 vs . Scud

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 07:19 PM
Engeljizzle
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 54 Posts

I tried to trade my 991 GT3 in on a 2008 scud with 4k miles and I bailed at the last minute because I couldn't find a good aftermarket warranty and ferrari would not provide one because I was going to purchase it from a bentley dealership. I went to the ferrari dealership here in denver and had the service advisor look over a few aftermarket warranty and there were loop holes in all of them that didn't cover certain very expensive items.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:02 PM
mos996tt
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

+1 totally agree! Here is a butt shot of mine...

Originally Posted by RossL
Thanks for the explanations. Back on topic.

I drove the GT3 yesterday for about a hundred miles (only have about 120 on it total now). It's pretty cold here so I'm waiting till this weekend when it warms up to really stretch it's legs. So far I'm very happy with it.
  • The car sounds great! I haven't pushed it to 9k yet but at the one 7k pull I did I was grinning!
  • The interior is much quieter than the Scud. I can easily hold a conversation in the car.
  • Stereo is light years better than the Scud but I think a 1980s Yugo would be comparable to the Scud's system.
  • The GT3 feels more planted. It was pretty cold out so I didn't push the car too hard but when I did the car felt glued to the pavement.
  • The GT3 has more mechanical sounds that come into the cabin. Not sure if this is a pro or con but I definitely hear more of what the car and the transmission are doing.
  • I'll probably get flamed for this but the LWB seats are not anywhere near as nice as the Scud's seats. The LWBs are fine but the Scud was more comfortable and had more adjustments.
  • Normal drive quality goes to the GT3 by the slimmest of margins. The Scuds suspension actually feels softer but the GT3 is better balanced for daily driving around town.
  • Creature comforts in general go to the GT3. I like having automatic lights, dimming mirrors, etc. This isn't a dedicated track car so it needs to strike a balance of raw and livability. I think the GT3 has done this very well.
Overall I think the 2 cars are very different. If you want a refined track day car that you drive a few hours to/from the track, the GT3 is the better option. Also, if you plan to the drive the car around town, on nice weather days and more of a daily driver type, the GT3 is hands down better. The Scud is an excellent weekend car but it's always an event in that car. I can't say anything about performance since my car isn't broken in yet and the weather is too cold but I can't wait for the chance!
Attached Images  
Old 01-02-2015, 10:13 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mos996tt
That is a killer garage.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:20 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:04 PM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gorgeous! I tried for months to get a white Scud and couldn't find the right one. I had to settle for Nero Daytona . I also have a Golf R! It's a great DD.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:17 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Damn that shot. I have been dreaming about pairing my SCUD to a GT3 but this is torture. I am counting the days to march 26. I was thinking of getting a GT silver color but opted for a GR as all my cars are silver already.

I hope my dream materialize soon. I intentionally wanted a March delivery even though I know the wait will be torture but I dont want the car to sit in the garage till spring.

Anybody else with a scud + GT3? Please post
Old 01-03-2015, 03:42 AM
nycjwi
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2009 Black Scud and a 2015 Gt3 Agate gray coming Jan 21. A little worried that the Gt3 is going to be boring compared to the Scud!
Old 01-03-2015, 05:09 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by nycjwi
I have a 2009 Black Scud and a 2015 Gt3 Agate gray coming Jan 21. A little worried that the Gt3 is going to be boring compared to the Scud!
It won't be boring, just different.....
Old 01-03-2015, 05:12 AM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by nycjwi
Reading post and looking at Youtube, compared with a SCUD, it may not be thesame experience. The sound alone would tell you the difference. Its probably a more refined but still raw character. That is the trade in for costing less and less money for maintenance. For me, it has a place in my garage. How about a GTRS? As long as I have the SCUD, I am not even considering it.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:30 AM
UAEGT3
Racer

both very different both very special.

Here's mine
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2015, 05:31 AM
UAEGT3
Racer

oops sorry for the side ways pic
Old 01-03-2015, 07:12 AM
JP Schnegg
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The equation is pretty simple.

If one has the mean to easily purchase run and maintain a 458, Scud. or F12, then go for it.
Probably the same guy will have the mean to buy a GT3 in addition. Therefore, no need to think to much.

If above criterias are not met, then, take a GT3 and enjoy what you have.

Financially, both cars are not playing in the same field. Therefore, the first question is "does someone has the funds to reach its desires".
Old 01-03-2015, 01:52 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

I don't own a Scud but have driven both it and the 458 on the track. I would say that the GT3 falls in between the two. The GT3 retains some of the rawness of the Scud yet has some of the refinements of the 458. I just wish the GT3's shifting was a little more towards the Scuds. A slight delay between shifts would have been perfect for me.
Perhaps one day I'll be able to add a Scud as a stable mate to the GT3.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:17 PM
mos996tt
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
It won't be boring, just different.....
Totally...not boring at all, just more user friendly and refined. With the weather being pretty decent over the past couple weeks, i've been using it for errands! GT3 can be a daily driver supercar...wouldnt subject the Scud to that although it probably wouldnt be an issue mechanically, more of an issue in my head! I even got caught in the early part of a snow front and had not trouble getting home in the GT3 on the Michelins (albeit slower than i normally drive - i am waiting for the winter set to come in). Driving the scud is an occasion...the GT3 is a little less so but that makes it a much better package overall for many different driving situations.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:53 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Totally...not boring at all, just more user friendly and refined. With the weather being pretty decent over the past couple weeks, i've been using it for errands! GT3 can be a daily driver supercar...wouldnt subject the Scud to that although it probably wouldnt be an issue mechanically, more of an issue in my head! I even got caught in the early part of a snow front and had not trouble getting home in the GT3 on the Michelins (albeit slower than i normally drive - i am waiting for the winter set to come in). Driving the scud is an occasion...the GT3 is a little less so but that makes it a much better package overall for many different driving situations.
Sounds about right....I remember the brutality of the Scud....specifically the first test drive and the boom and jerk of a shift at 8K rpm's.....the salesman said something about it and I replied that's exactly what I'm looking for....there's just nothing like the bare interior and sound of that V8....

Quick Reply: GT3 vs . Scud