Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice to see a bunch of Ferrarichat scud to gt3 crowd
Old 12-30-2014, 09:56 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
Having owned a Scud for a year I will say it is probably the most exciting car I've ever owned.....Over the GT3, 458, Viper ACR, Z06, GTR.....just my opinion
^^^ This.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:06 PM
mos996tt
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

+1. Very different personalities...scud way more engaging and visceral - raw, loud, rowdy... GT3 by comparison is very refined and ridiculously easy to drive - guess which one the wife likes more and which my son prefers . Am always afraid the scud will bite back when i push it whereas I feel way more comfortable driving closer to limit in GT3 (could be because I am a longtime Pcar guy tho...scud is my first Ferrari). Drive both and see which one floats your boat for what u are looking for...
Old 12-30-2014, 10:19 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Old 12-30-2014, 10:22 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by RossL
2-3k in annual maintenance is normal. When I sold the car I had to replace normal wear items; a front control arm bushing, battery, and tie rod joint for 6k. I argued about how ridiculous that was and eventually got it to 3k which is still crazy but every part has to be Ferrari branded otherwise you can't sell it...

)
How did you get the Ferrari service dept to go down from $6k to $3k..? I'm impressed and would love to hear the story and logic you used on them..
Old 12-30-2014, 11:38 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

[QUOTE=RossL;11914182]I owned a Scud for about 1.5 years and pick up my GT3 this Friday! I couldn't have been happier with the Scud. Best car I've ever owned by far. I've owned a lot of exotics and nothing compares to it. It's raw, angry, and wants to kill you. The banshee wale was intoxicating, the F1-S transmission wanting to give you whiplash was exciting, and the connection to the road was amazing! The car was also so raw that the frame was exposed and there were no floor mats. I really liked this "feature" as it made the car fill the role it was meant to. It 100% business with creature comforts clearly thrown out or added as an after thought(Worst stereo and navigation in any car I've ever owned!). I loved that car and miss it.

However, the maintenance on the car was quite pricey. 2-3k in annual maintenance is normal. When I sold the car I had to replace normal wear items; a front control arm bushing, battery, and tie rod joint for 6k. I argued about how ridiculous that was and eventually got it to 3k which is still crazy but every part has to be Ferrari branded otherwise you can't sell it... I believe the Scud will one day appreciate in value and be worthy collector car but I'm not willing to sit around spending 2-3k a year in maintenance waiting for the day . The other minus of a Ferrari in general is selling it. Buyers are so fickle. Every record has to come from a dealership, mileage is very big deal on resale, and anything aftermarket is highly frowned upon. I had 1 aftermarket "mod" which was a radar detector installed in the mirror and I spent 30 minutes taking pictures of the wiring as an example. I'd do it all again though because of how amazing the car is.

You NAILED IT!

But my upcoming GT3 would have a hard time surpassing the enjoyment of driving a SCUD. No offense but this is coming from a guy who owned 2 997 Pcars before I went to darkside of ferrari.

But I never did forget my ownership of my 997 C4S but would not want to go to another carrera. So a GT3 seem a good idea. Also, I wanted a less road screamer. I guess I wanted another raw car but not another ferrari. It fits between a carrera and a ferrari so to speak.

It would complement my stable.

Going to your comment about cost of ownership, I was asked about how much to own one and everybody who has not owned a ferrari would get surprised about it. But to own one of these cars is no ordinary commitment.

My answer to all my friends is that I treat my SCUD as another child. you need to get them health insurance and bring them to the doctor. If you look at it that way, they are the cheapest to maintain. Hey, my german shepherd dog is more expensive to maintain than my ferrari. It needs food, immunization and sometimes, it needs a splenectomy and they dont have health insurance.So if you ask me, all those ownership issues is cheap compared to what I mentioned.

Life is short, I just entered 40 with 4 kids(including my SCUD) and I am enjoying every minute of it.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:26 AM
easy888
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

For those who still have their Scuds and now have added a GT3, post pics of them together. I'd love to see the combos out there.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:55 PM
gt2urbo
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL you can't compare a c4s and a scud LOL. A good friend owned one and I tracked it . It was't great on the track tbh . I'ts more comparable to a straight piped gt2 not a c4s LOL . we used to trade cars when we went to rodeo dr. I would give the edge the scud for looks. Can't compare it to a c4s of course the scud is 100 times better but not against the gt2. my opinion don't flame me.. At the time 2008 both cars got a lot of attention at the beverly wilshire hotel. by no means is a gt2 a scub but its more of apples to granny smiths apples .
Old 12-31-2014, 10:09 PM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a C2S and Scud at the same time and you are right, no comparison at all. I just drove home the GT3 tonight and babied it for the most part. Tomorrow I plan to drive it a bit harder. I'll post my thoughts and comparo after.

Happy New Year everyone!
Old 01-02-2015, 04:06 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

everyone is different.
driven scud. meh.
i dont have maintenance issues, friend wants me to drive his. i just have no interest.
for the price of a cherry scud, i just bought another old RS.

i do understand the allure of fiat, but not for me.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:05 AM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Why do Porsche guys call Ferrari Fiat? I don't get it since they are 2 separate companies and they share nothing. I know Fiat owns them but over the years (minus this year) Fiat has had no say in Ferrari's direction. If you do a like comparison, Porsche is a lot closer to VW than Ferrari to Fiat.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:59 AM
ATXGT3
Banned

Why do Porsche guys call Ferrari Fiat? I don't get it since they are 2 separate companies and they share nothing. I know Fiat owns them but over the years (minus this year) Fiat has had no say in Ferrari's direction. If you do a like comparison, Porsche is a lot closer to VW than Ferrari to Fiat.
First, congrats on the new GT3--can't wait for pics and thoughts!

As to Fiat talk--agree two companies. It's like people calling Porsche VW--it's not. However, the downside to what Ferrari is about to face going public is Fiat already contractually is taking the majority of the proceeds and Ferrari will be left holding the debt. I think Ferrari is a great car, but the old days are over and as a public company they will answer to shareholders and no family members. That means more production, more product lines, etc...you know all of the things people are crying about on the F Forums.

Any who, back to P-Car talk--let's see that new beauty when you get a chance to post pics! Also, LOVE to hear your thoughts on the drive, etc...
Old 01-02-2015, 10:30 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

that's why gt3 is called aero beetle.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:36 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

i call my dodge ram a fiat....
Old 01-02-2015, 02:23 PM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the explanations. Back on topic.

I drove the GT3 yesterday for about a hundred miles (only have about 120 on it total now). It's pretty cold here so I'm waiting till this weekend when it warms up to really stretch it's legs. So far I'm very happy with it.
  • The car sounds great! I haven't pushed it to 9k yet but at the one 7k pull I did I was grinning!
  • The interior is much quieter than the Scud. I can easily hold a conversation in the car.
  • Stereo is light years better than the Scud but I think a 1980s Yugo would be comparable to the Scud's system.
  • The GT3 feels more planted. It was pretty cold out so I didn't push the car too hard but when I did the car felt glued to the pavement.
  • The GT3 has more mechanical sounds that come into the cabin. Not sure if this is a pro or con but I definitely hear more of what the car and the transmission are doing.
  • I'll probably get flamed for this but the LWB seats are not anywhere near as nice as the Scud's seats. The LWBs are fine but the Scud was more comfortable and had more adjustments.
  • Normal drive quality goes to the GT3 by the slimmest of margins. The Scuds suspension actually feels softer but the GT3 is better balanced for daily driving around town.
  • Creature comforts in general go to the GT3. I like having automatic lights, dimming mirrors, etc. This isn't a dedicated track car so it needs to strike a balance of raw and livability. I think the GT3 has done this very well.
Overall I think the 2 cars are very different. If you want a refined track day car that you drive a few hours to/from the track, the GT3 is the better option. Also, if you plan to the drive the car around town, on nice weather days and more of a daily driver type, the GT3 is hands down better. The Scud is an excellent weekend car but it's always an event in that car. I can't say anything about performance since my car isn't broken in yet and the weather is too cold but I can't wait for the chance!

Quick Reply: GT3 vs . Scud