Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You people are going to hate this

Old 12-24-2014, 06:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts
Default You people are going to hate this

It was forwarded to me by a friend and it kind of sends a shiver up my car loving spine. Still, it's a contrary and fairly engaging perspective on self driving cars and in the interest of being exposed to other points of view I thought it was worth a read. Feel free to discuss and vent.

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/google_self_driving_car
Old 12-24-2014, 06:49 PM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 60 Posts

I think everyone that wants a self driving car should have one, They should also have their own lanes so they can get the H#$$ out of our way!!
Old 12-24-2014, 06:51 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 341 Likes on 190 Posts

I want it both ways. I can do the self driving thing for my daily commute. I've got lots of other things I could be doing other than driving and a self driving car would allow this. However, I wouldn't be happy if I didn't have the option to drive an exciting car when I want to.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:03 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This thing would be welcome news for some folks See the video and you know what I mean.

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2014/1...MuGO0SZpPXe.99
Old 12-24-2014, 07:12 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 140 Posts

Self-driving cars have a long way to go. Google is testing them under ideal conditions, which don't exist on real highways.

When talking about "the last pure 911," it's this, the last model that humans drive. Everything short of this (air cooled engines, manual and naturally aspirated motors, etc.) is just moving the chains on the football field.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:18 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Mike, your car loving spine probably should shiver. I heavily suspect that under the guise of public safety and through the process of "gradualism", people that favor driver-less cars will eventually push for regulations and legislation that effect the rest of us who prefer the freedom of driving the cars of our choice. As you know, technology already is capable of monitoring our driving habits through camera's and car's built in computers.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:36 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

I've been saying it for a long time... First...too many computer controlled systems,then taking the shifting away,next no pedals whatsoever and finally no steering... And people just adapt to the " new " ,they don't fight for what they believe in...

Yes! My name is Nick and I'm a Luddite...

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-24-2014, 07:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by john weires
Mike, your car loving spine probably should shiver. I heavily suspect that under the guise of public safety and through the process of "gradualism", people that favor driver-less cars will eventually push for regulations and legislation that effect the rest of us who prefer the freedom of driving the cars of our choice. As you know, technology already is capable of monitoring our driving habits through camera's and car's built in computers.
John, that is the part that worries me, although it may be less of a concern for those of us that are a little older since it will take years, I suspect, for the technology to mature and begin to take over in a big way. The younger generations seem less interested in cars than mine was anyway, so maybe it won't be as big of a deal to them to be driven around by a computer.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:00 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Around these parts, i think most people should have self driving cars!!!

Ive heard that mercedes will have a truck ready w/in 10yrs.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:02 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

The irony is that every moment spent on this thread is one less moment you spend driving. Screw this place and go drive!
Old 12-24-2014, 09:04 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

On another note, I was in my friend's S63 coupe the other day and that car applied brakes, throttle, and steered on it's own. Pretty cool tech when driving on the freeway.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:48 AM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Some people are already operating their vehicles in driverless mode ... Or so it appears (like when texting, applying make-up or engaged in other distractions).

I guess if I lived in Manhattan or another city where traffic is bumper to bumper and slow during the daytime, it might be nice to have a driverless luxury sedan. Otherwise, I'll pass.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:07 AM
TargaLover
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem is that, to really make the driverless car world work, it has to be completely driverless. Otherwise, there's no predictability, and the system will require a high degree (i.e., complete) control to allow any sort of benefits (high speed, uniform movement of traffic). Seems very "Big Brother" like to me.

Gone, but not forgotten:
'78 Fiat Spyder
Old 12-25-2014, 10:52 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now that I have my blue Gt3 our next car to replace our Lexus SUV 10 yrs old now is a Tesla X. Paid deposit a few months ago. Should be super cool. :-)
Old 12-25-2014, 11:08 AM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TargaLover
The problem is that, to really make the driverless car world work, it has to be completely driverless. Otherwise, there's no predictability, and the system will require a high degree (i.e., complete) control to allow any sort of benefits (high speed, uniform movement of traffic). Seems very "Big Brother" like to me.
Good point. And in highly congested areas (like I mentioned before), I can just take the train or walk.

Ok. So forget what I said about that driverless luxury car... Brain fahrt.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: You people are going to hate this