Sponsored by:

2015 GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 10:45 AM
mainly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neuroguru
Of course, the only problem Porsche is working to overcome is the 1.21 gigawatt powersource necessary for proper propolusion.
What the hell is a gigawatt???
Old 12-24-2014, 11:37 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

FC = no Frickin Clutch
Old 12-24-2014, 02:36 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mainly
What the hell is a gigawatt???
Definition of GIGAWATT

: a unit of power equal to one billion watts

746 Watts = 1 HP, so it must be REALLY FAST!!!! ROTFLOL

IMHO, our present 9,000 RPM GT3 @ 475-500 HP is very close, if not right at, the reliability limits for its displacement of 3.8 L. Going to a 4L Engine would only increase its HP very modestly, and lower its Lap times only very minutely if at all.
Again consulting <www.fastestlaps.com> the difference between the 3.8 RS and the 4.0 RS is negligible. Also, the 991 Chassis comes close to an optimum design for a road and track car. With similar HP, a more efficient Wing, ala Crawford, will be the greatest contributor to lowered lap Times of a N/A GT3.

So where is the additional performance to come from to justify its much higher price and larger profits for Porsche? The only "game-changers" I can see are either adding Electric Motors ala the 918, or Turbocharging. Electric Motor technology is complex and expensive and would compete with the 918. Might be OK for a future product such as the 960 but the 911 is neither ready for it technically (much R&D and Mods required) or from a marketing viewpoint.
(Too close to 918 Deliveries)

So that leaves Turbocharging - and no other company does that better with more experience than Porsche. It worked with the 2011 GT2RS being MUCH faster than the GT3 or GT3RS, 3.8 or 4.0 and justified its $275K MSRP. Producing 620 HP, it was a huge leap from the 500HP of the N/A Engines and produced MUCH lower lap times. And those Side inlets ahead of the rear wheels in Spy Photos are the best Intercooler locations.

I would be VERY surprised if we do not see a 650 HP Turbocharged GT3RS.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:01 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I would be VERY surprised if we do not see a 650 HP Turbocharged GT3RS.
not this time around. Al mules spotted have been NA, including the ones with the side vents. It will be very similar engine to GT3 as it always is. Other tweaks to tyres, weight, aero etc. will make more of a speed difference.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:19 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
not this time around. Al mules spotted have been NA, including the ones with the side vents. It will be very similar engine to GT3 as it always is. Other tweaks to tyres, weight, aero etc. will make more of a speed difference.
a 650Hp Turbo GT3 is not a GT3..it's a GT2. What am I missing here ?
Old 12-24-2014, 03:31 PM
mainly
Racer

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Definition of GIGAWATT

: a unit of power equal to one billion watts

746 Watts = 1 HP, so it must be REALLY FAST!!!! ROTFLOL

:
lol. i was just trying to joke... not many movie fans here i guess.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:01 PM
Aerowerke
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

A flywheel-based KERS system?
Old 12-24-2014, 04:19 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
Exactly.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:25 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

RS is the sum of its parts, not just a modest power bump, etcetera. All the ancillary stuff, which will be abundant, will make it an RS. 5-8 second advantageous Nurburgring Laps time better than the GT3 may not be what some people expect, but big gains nonetheless. So, give me 510 or so HP, 75-100 less lbs., much more aero, more tire, shorter gearing, bang, bang shifts, blah, blah blah and I'm good to go. Cannot wait.

65x... Whatever pony turbo RS thingamajigs are not THE GT3 RS.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:13 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
RS is the sum of its parts, not just a modest power bump, etcetera. All the ancillary stuff, which will be abundant, will make it an RS. 5-8 second advantageous Nurburgring Laps time better than the GT3 may not be what some people expect, but big gains nonetheless. So, give me 510 or so HP, 75-100 less lbs., much more aero, more tire, shorter gearing, bang, bang shifts, blah, blah blah and I'm good to go. Cannot wait.

65x... Whatever pony turbo RS thingamajigs are not THE GT3 RS.
If the past is prologue to the future, you are correct - but, IMHO the incremental advances you cite will not give the new GT3RS the performance increase needed to counter the present unprecedented increasing number of competitors with higher HP ranging from above and uncomfortably below the 3RS's likely MSRP.

TRACK LAP TIME DIFFERENCES BETWEEN 997 GT3 AND GT3RS MODELS
<www.fastestlaps.com>

Hockenheim: 0.9 Seconds 1:10.4 vs 1:09.5
Autozeitung: 0.8 Seconds 1:35.8 vs 1:35.0
Tsukuba: 0.33 Seconds 1:04.84 vs 1:04.51
Sachsenring: 1.36 Seconds 1:36.11 vs 1:34.75
Magny Cours: 0.24 Seconds 1:22.2 vs 1:21.78

Will a 1 Second decrease in Lap Times at typical average length tracks justify the
much higher price of the GT3RS? Or will Porsche break GT3RS precedent for an
unexpected competitive advantage? It is very easy to substitute a "2" for a "3"
in the Model designation and I would guess many mule Engine versions have been and are being tested. It has even been speculated that both 2 & 3 models will be
introduced at the same time - as were the GT3 and 991 Turbos.

I believe those questions will be answered at the Geneva Show in early March and
I am speculating (and hoping) the recent invitations we have received to join them in early Spring will be to let us experience the new Models. We may all be surprised - or not. I have no firm information either way nor do I know anyone outside of PAG that does - But I'm really looking forward to Spring next Year.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:42 AM
991 3Turbo
Racer

Smile

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
If the past is prologue to the future, you are correct - but, IMHO the incremental advances you cite will not give the new GT3RS the performance increase needed to counter the present unprecedented increasing number of competitors with higher HP ranging from above and uncomfortably below the 3RS's likely MSRP.

TRACK LAP TIME DIFFERENCES BETWEEN 997 GT3 AND GT3RS MODELS
<www.fastestlaps.com>

Hockenheim: 0.9 Seconds 1:10.4 vs 1:09.5
Autozeitung: 0.8 Seconds 1:35.8 vs 1:35.0
Tsukuba: 0.33 Seconds 1:04.84 vs 1:04.51
Sachsenring: 1.36 Seconds 1:36.11 vs 1:34.75
Magny Cours: 0.24 Seconds 1:22.2 vs 1:21.78

Will a 1 Second decrease in Lap Times at typical average length tracks justify the
much higher price of the GT3RS? Or will Porsche break GT3RS precedent for an
unexpected competitive advantage? It is very easy to substitute a "2" for a "3"
in the Model designation and I would guess many mule Engine versions have been and are being tested. It has even been speculated that both 2 & 3 models will be
introduced at the same time - as were the GT3 and 991 Turbos.

I believe those questions will be answered at the Geneva Show in early March and
I am speculating (and hoping) the recent invitations we have received to join them in early Spring will be to let us experience the new Models. We may all be surprised - or not. I have no firm information either way nor do I know anyone outside of PAG that does - But I'm really looking forward to Spring next Year.

You have some really good points. The RS in the spy videos looks VERY fast, especially quick after exiting tight corners, which suggests something more immediate torque wise is helping the car. Cant hear turbos. The huge side inlets could also be cooling ducts for batteries/ electric motors which would definitely give the extra power.

I have no doubt whatsoever that hybrid tech will evolve sooner rather than later. KERS for the moment is also a possibility.

It is pretty much accepted now that the next GTR will have this tech of some kind since Williams is helping them, my guess KERS, so Porsche will need to do the same.

Very exciting times to be a car buff!
Old 12-25-2014, 01:27 PM
alaint101
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I look at it slightly differently. Porsche is not generally concerned w/ raw numbers but rather w/ performance numbers.

The RS focus has to be tweaking the car so that it bests the Speciale and the 650. That's where the game is played IMO

If it means aerodynamics, so be it. If it means engine mods, so be it. If it means chassis geometry changes, so be it. It's about making a statement w/ a car people reference when thinking of the brand by getting enthusiasts to promote the product on behalf of the organization.

The strategy to get there has some limitations but Porsche tends to keep a very open mind in general. Just think of water cooling or 4WS.... Not sure many people would have called those well ahead of time.

I short, I don't think we know. And that's what's exciting... It's like Christmas for adults...

Just my $0.02
Old 12-25-2014, 02:13 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerowerke
A flywheel-based KERS system?
Ok, now we may be getting close. Problem is reliability is still and issue so warranty would be an issue if Porsche has to cover, which they will.

Batteries are better choice but adds weight. Some increases are possible form the engine, so who know what we will see in the end?
Old 12-25-2014, 03:35 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sloopy
Ok, now we may be getting close. Problem is reliability is still and issue so warranty would be an issue if Porsche has to cover, which they will.

Batteries are better choice but adds weight. Some increases are possible form the engine, so who know what we will see in the end?
I would say ring out as much HP out of the 3.8 you can, assuming it's not the 4.0, do everything possible with reducing the weight, then add all the aero packages and the hell with the batteries.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:13 PM
Aerowerke
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Here's a 3.5 year old article about Porsche putting flywheel-based KERS in road cars.

Maybe they are finally bring it to market to debut in the new RS.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/16/n...e-model-range/

Quick Reply: 2015 GT3 RS