Sponsored by:

Clear bra installation gone wrong

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 02:18 PM
Hamad
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear bra installation gone wrong

I booked my car for clear bra installation at one of the most reputable shops in town. Delivered the car, signed papers, paid full amount and was told to come back in "4 hours". It sounded a little strange given what I read in various forums about the complexity of this job but this was my first time and I thought they must know what they're talking about.

Seven hours later, the car was ready to be picked up. It was 11pm and I didn't have the chance to inspect it while in the shop. Drove back home, parked in the garage and switched all lights. I almost fainted!! The hood and other parts had more than ten bubbles, corners were hand cut and weren't straight/even. The side stickers were in different sizes and heights on both sides. The bra didn't go under the lights as I've seen many of the pictures carreras or GT3s had.

Worst part was when I found razor blade scratches across the roof, on both sides and on mirrors. The scratches were deep enough for my nails to run through them. I did not sleep that night....

Next day, I went first to the dealer's bodyshop for advice. They asked that I go to the shop, ask them to remove the stickers and come back for full inspection and to quantify the damage.
I spoke to the regional manager of the shop who admitted that the guys who worked on my car were inexperienced, agreed to have my car fixed at dealer with them covering full cost.

Car has been sitting at the bodyshop for two days now. They conducted a full body polish and inspection. The "good news" is there are only one or two scratches that require repainting. But this will be confirmed tomorrow. I might have to spray paint the roof and one of the back sides.

I'm choosing not to publish the name of the installer yet to see if they will stick to their word and cover all my cost. I also know that my experience is not an excuse for people not to use clear bras. I know many people who have had them for years and are happy.

Just thought I'll share this for others to be careful and watch out for inexperienced installers.

Will keep updating you

Last edited by Hamad; 12-23-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:26 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

There are a lot of hacks out there.

The repainting is going to be the biggest headache yet. If you don't have it done right, there will be a part 2 to this story.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:44 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

I believe Porsche will not allow a car to go through CPO if 3 or more panels have been painted. Sounds like you will be on that threshold.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:48 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I believe Porsche will not allow a car to go through CPO if 3 or more panels have been painted. Sounds like you will be on that threshold.
I've never heard that before. Accidents maybe, just a paint job? Never heard a dealer inspecting a repaint. Bizarre. Most of them wouldn't have a clue anyway.

Most of these guys can barely match socks in the morning.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:53 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Is this in US?
Old 12-23-2014, 03:01 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

Installer is the most important part of the equation. Around here most dealers do use paint meters and there is a disclosure you must sign regarding no paint/bodywork.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:08 PM
Hamad
AutoX

Originally Posted by silverrules
Is this in US?
No this isn't

The car now is with the Porsche dealership here so I'm certain that all work will be of highest quality and to Porsche's acceptance. The bodyshop manager said that the damage is not that serious and they'll make sure I get the car back like it used to be. He said I might not have to repaint if I'm happy to live with a couple of small 1cm scratches (almost like a pencil lines)..

Any advice you guys might have is appreciated. My car is white
Old 12-23-2014, 03:14 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 173 Posts

Next day, I went first to the dealer's bodyshop for advice. They asked that I go to the shop, ask them to remove the stickers and come back for full inspection and to quantify the damage.
I spoke to the regional manager of the shop who admitted that the guys who worked on my car were inexperienced, agreed to have my car fixed at dealer with them covering full cost.

Car has been sitting at the bodyshop for two days now. They conducted a full body polish and inspection. The "good news" is there are only one or two scratches that require repainting. But this will be confirmed tomorrow. I might have to spray paint the roof and one of the back sides.
I hope you took pictures and got something in writing from the RM, like other posters stated, this could get weird
Old 12-23-2014, 03:18 PM
Hamad
AutoX

Originally Posted by Fracture
I hope you took pictures and got something in writing from the RM, like other posters stated, this could get weird
Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures but the Porsche dealership wrote to the shop manager and received written approval to inspect and fix the car at their cost. This is an international brand so Im certain they won't let their reputation go down, especially with an angry GT3 owner..
Old 12-23-2014, 03:27 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Hamad
The bodyshop manager said that the damage is not that serious and they'll make sure I get the car back like it used to be. He said I might not have to repaint if I'm happy to live with a couple of small 1cm scratches (almost like a pencil lines).. Any advice you guys might have is appreciated. My car is white
I would do anything possible not to end up painting! As hard as it is accepting the situation,I'd have to live with those tiny scratches rather than paint a new car. But make sure you have the clear bra shop compensate you for this mess!
Old 12-23-2014, 03:29 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 173 Posts

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures but the Porsche dealership wrote to the shop manager and received written approval to inspect and fix the car at their cost. This is an international brand so Im certain they won't let their reputation go down, especially with an angry GT3 owner..

Glad to hear that, I can only imagine how you feel when one purchases
a service that could be considered 'routine' goes bad, on a spanking new Porsche !!

I can relate as to what I went thru with my HOA and a subcontractor who did more damage
to my home than the cost of the services provided
Old 12-23-2014, 03:35 PM
nyamg
Instructor

Originally Posted by neanicu
I would do anything possible not to end up painting! As hard as it is accepting the situation,I'd have to live with those tiny scratches rather than paint a new car. But make sure you have the clear bra shop compensate you for this mess!
+2, anything but paint!!!! Scratches over painting a new car.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:36 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Sorry to hear this. Something similar happened to me with Joe Doughty of Truck N Car Concepts in Tallahassee a few years ago. This was the standard installer used by Capital Porsche at the time. The horrendous job Joe did was so amateurish that Capital stopped using them after the incident. I had to have the car completely redone. My next installer literally asked me if a high school kid installed the bra.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:41 PM
Hamad
AutoX

Thanks guys!

I will wait to hear from the dealer tomorrow to see what they recommend. If the options were between living with small scratches or repaint I might choose to live with the scratches (however painful that might be).. As for compensation, I might ask for a new bra to be installed at the Porsche dealership.. What do you think?
Old 12-23-2014, 03:43 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Sorry to hear....I just had my car done by Protection Plus in East Longmeadow, MA....family affair and they did an impeccable job installing Scotchgard Pro series film.....I'm sure your car will come out looking like new....

Quick Reply: Clear bra installation gone wrong