Sponsored by:

2014 GT3 Motor Problem at 2,600 miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 08:27 PM
GTGTGT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 GT3 Motor Problem at 2,600 miles

I have been having issues with my GT3 that got a lot worse today.
- car burned excessive oil from the beginning. It has had about 2 quarts added since purchase. At one point I received a red caution for oil level dropping below tolerance, and have to stop the car and get oil
- Yellow check engine light came on and temperature gauge was running about 10 deg cooler than normal. Dealer said new thermostat was required and they installed
- while running at normal highway speeds, car started to stutter, or hesitate. It appeared as if the gas was getting cut off. drove it home and called Porsche to set up appointment and let car sit until appt today. car was stutters across all speeds and rev levels
- today when I started the car to take to dealership, the Red Engine Performance issue light came on and said Possible to Drive On. There was also a loud clacking noise which sounded like to metal pieces hitting each other. It was very loud. The sound lessoned as I drove the car slowly to dealership.

I'm very disappointed and unhappy with the car. Anyone have any similar experiences or provide any insights?
Old 12-22-2014, 08:38 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Happened to be passing by West Palm P shop today and there was a rollback truck bringing in a one week old white car truck driver just stated the engine sounded awful grinding sounds .

Very sorry to hear of this a hope its soft wear issue
Old 12-22-2014, 08:40 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

They should be able to read the data log and see whats going on. I know there were few thermostat issue with the early cars and it was an easy fix. I am sure it will be resolved. Just need to be patient. Hang in there. It will be back on the road in no time.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:49 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,390 Likes on 721 Posts

^Agree. That is why there is a warranty, as well. Let them trouble shoot it ect. Please keep us updated
Old 12-22-2014, 10:48 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Please keep us posted. I have to wonder if all the issues you've experienced are related to one specific problem in the engine. One diagnosis is always more likely than multiple.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:07 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope everything gets fixed soon!
Old 12-22-2014, 11:17 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
Happened to be passing by West Palm P shop today and there was a rollback truck bringing in a one week old white car truck driver just stated the engine sounded awful grinding sounds .

Very sorry to hear of this a hope its soft wear issue

Was it a GT3 ?
Old 12-22-2014, 11:24 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

In engine manufacturing, a single defective engine is a rare thing. Usually defective engines are made in the tens, hundreds and even the thousands. 99% are quarantined and corrected before delivery to the customer.
A small percentage of all new cars get their engines replaced for one reason or another
Most issues get identified in the assembly plant at first start-up. A few escape into the hands of customers.
The dealer will do some testing and may decide to pull the engine. It will be returned to Germany for analysis. There will be an ongoing product development group there that will analyze the defective engines and recommend changes to manufacturing, product design or both.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:31 PM
cingulus
Racer

That sucks, I have not heard of other having these issues.

SHaun
Old 12-22-2014, 11:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

No other reports of anything similar that have been posted here. I tend to agree with dcjxxx; I suspect your more serious problems are related to a single basic issue. I don't like the fact that you heard loud clacking sounds coming from the engine compartment. I wonder if you slipped a timing chain? Good luck, and please keep us updated....
Old 12-22-2014, 11:41 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,796 Likes on 4,779 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
In engine manufacturing, a single defective engine is a rare thing. Usually defective engines are made in the tens, hundreds and even the thousands. 99% are quarantined and corrected before delivery to the customer.
A small percentage of all new cars get their engines replaced for one reason or another
Most issues get identified in the assembly plant at first start-up. A few escape into the hands of customers.
The dealer will do some testing and may decide to pull the engine. It will be returned to Germany for analysis. There will be an ongoing product development group there that will analyze the defective engines and recommend changes to manufacturing, product design or both.
Why couldn't it have been a single, isolated one-off quality control issue?

Some Porsche tech on the assembly line didn't tighten the screws to spec - to use one very rudimentary example.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:11 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Was it a GT3 ?
Yes
Old 12-23-2014, 12:44 AM
UAEGT3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please keep us posted
Old 12-23-2014, 01:34 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GTGTGT
I have been having issues with my GT3 that got a lot worse today.
- car burned excessive oil from the beginning. It has had about 2 quarts added since purchase. At one point I received a red caution for oil level dropping below tolerance, and have to stop the car and get oil
- Yellow check engine light came on and temperature gauge was running about 10 deg cooler than normal. Dealer said new thermostat was required and they installed
- while running at normal highway speeds, car started to stutter, or hesitate. It appeared as if the gas was getting cut off. drove it home and called Porsche to set up appointment and let car sit until appt today. car was stutters across all speeds and rev levels
- today when I started the car to take to dealership, the Red Engine Performance issue light came on and said Possible to Drive On. There was also a loud clacking noise which sounded like to metal pieces hitting each other. It was very loud. The sound lessoned as I drove the car slowly to dealership.

I'm very disappointed and unhappy with the car. Anyone have any similar experiences or provide any insights?

What was your mileage when the engine was replaced??
Old 12-23-2014, 04:28 AM
aeGT3
Rennlist Member

What was the mileage when you got your car? Could you also provide us with the info regarding break-in procedure? Just curious.

Quick Reply: 2014 GT3 Motor Problem at 2,600 miles