Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 GT3 Motor Problem at 2,600 miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 04:56 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Need to know outcome, please keep us informed and thanks for posting here.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:21 AM
Marino84
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really sorry to hear that GT! keep your head up and im sure it will all be alright soon enough.

could you please advise which break-in theory you implemented? did you take it easy , or did you let her rip from the get-go. There is a lot of debate going on about that and something like this might help for us future GT3 owners.

thanks again and good luck!
Old 12-23-2014, 05:22 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Don't forget to use your state's lemon law protection if you can; you're gonna eat a lot of $$$$ trying to sell a GT3 with a replaced motor.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:42 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Sorry to hear and best of luck....maybe the outcome will be a guaranteed RS
Old 12-23-2014, 07:41 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

^^There are a lot of us 2014s with engines replaced. I doubt we will eat a lot of money.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:44 AM
GTGTGT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for your comments and insights. I was writing to see if anyone else had seen similar problems, and it appears like a maybe. I will update the post when I have more information from Porsche about the problem and their solution.

This is my 4th Porsche and 2nd GT3 and this is not just another warranty issue to me. The car does not perform as advertised and i have no confidence in taking it to the track when it breaks down with normal driving on the street. This belief is compounded by the facts of the prior major issues and recalls with the car.

The car was purchased brand new. This was an original February car delivered in September and the motor was replaced before finishing production; 2 VINs. The car was babied during break in period.

It appears the break in period broke the car.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:45 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GT, not easy for anyone to go through what you're going through....hang in there, it will be alright. I would have to say after seeing what Porsche is doing for many of the earlier buyers next January at their headquarters in Atlanta, rest assure they will take care of this situation hopefully better than you can expect. We're all with you.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:37 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

I still have some concerns about the engine due to its level of performance, new design (i.e. no long term reliability data), and potential parts quality variations, the potential failure rate being unknown (except for the con rod bolts). IMHO the potential gain from ownership still far outweighs the potential and known risks. Porsche does have a major stake in the GT3 and so I am still confident over the long term. I have a feeling, hopefully wrong, that the OPs problem may be significant and I think the results of his diagnostic evaluation may be of importance to all of us. I do feel for his frustration and disappointment.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:49 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Something is loose somewhere. I bet its a simple fix. Any bets?
Old 12-23-2014, 01:02 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

What I'd like to know is if the noise increases when you slowly rev the engine at idle? That clacking,knocking noise that increases with RPM usually means there's a problem in the bottom of the engine-rod bearings come to mind...
Anyway...all speculation at this point. Hopefully it's something easy and the OP can get right back on the road.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:31 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Sorry to hear of your problems. I thought your problems were due to modifications but your past posts on modifications were for an older GT3. Best of luck on getting this resolved.

Dan (sympathizes)
Old 12-23-2014, 04:47 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by GTGTGT
I have been having issues with my GT3 that got a lot worse today.

I'm very disappointed and unhappy with the car. Anyone have any similar experiences or provide any insights?
I've got 7,500 miles and multiple Track Events with no problems at all.
I feel very badly that you are having these problems, especially in this Season
of Joy, but this car is a real Jewel and well worth hanging in there.
I'm certain Porsche will get you fixed up to your satisfaction.
And thank you for posting. Bummer!!!
Old 12-23-2014, 05:17 PM
KenU
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for your comments and insights. I was writing to see if anyone else had seen similar problems, and it appears like a maybe. I will update the post when I have more information from Porsche about the problem and their solution.

This is my 4th Porsche and 2nd GT3 and this is not just another warranty issue to me. The car does not perform as advertised and i have no confidence in taking it to the track when it breaks down with normal driving on the street. This belief is compounded by the facts of the prior major issues and recalls with the car.

The car was purchased brand new. This was an original February car delivered in September and the motor was replaced before finishing production; 2 VINs. The car was babied during break in period.

Forgive me if I'm not understanding your post here. Are you saying the babied break-in period caused this problem? Could you be more specific pls?

Thanks and I am sure (hope) this will get resolved to your satisfaction.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:51 AM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

GT, I know it sucks, but DON'T WORRY whatsoever.

Not to bore you w/ my history, but my break-in occurred after picking it up from a local dealer where I had it drop shipped from Ohio. Following morning, I took one lap warmup at Sebring and drove it like.... well you know the cliche.

Got enough seat time to fall in love, then the gremlins started. (If you read my earlier threads, my car was the poster child lemon law). Believe it or not, the engine recall/replacement was just one more thing and personally, it didn't make me more or less troubled than any of the number of other issues that caused breakdowns. (I've yet to shake down my car w/ new tranny).

Unfortunately, I was already screwed.

This car is still the best production, purpose built car I have EVER driven on track. PERIOD.

If one compares it to that youtube video of "women and crazy", I would say that it's the hottest thing on the planet and therefore she can be as insane and crazy as far as scales will read.

In addition, I have nothing but praise for Porsche. They have listened to their loyal customers and went out of their way to support our requests in virtually every manner. (I'm proud to confirm my participation in Atlanta's Action Group).

Keep the faith. Keep us posted and keep gum in your car for the first time you really run the car. It will lessen the pain from all your grinning.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:24 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"This car is still the best production, purpose built car I have EVER driven on track. PERIOD.

If one compares it to that youtube video of "women and crazy", I would say that it's the hottest thing on the planet and therefore she can be as insane and crazy as far as scales will read." -- est8esq

Just to clarify, the good barrister is referring to the Hot/Crazy Matrix.

I would differ with him and hope that the 991.1GT3 turns out to be a 'unicorn' - a completely reliable, durable, and screaming performer on track and street.

Enjoy:

Quick Reply: 2014 GT3 Motor Problem at 2,600 miles