Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily Driver Use - Report

Old 12-22-2014, 03:16 PM
onelio
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daily Driver Use - Report

I have been using my car as a daily driver since getting it two weeks ago (and nearly 2000 winter kilometers!).
Many of you have wondered how it is as a daily driver.
The answer is that it is obviously very useable every day. (Although I have to confess that I had to drive it back into the garage on the day we got 8 inches of snow, and it “floated” as I was trying to back it out of the garage!).
The main challenge is the stiff suspension, which can be a bit painful if the roads you drive on have a lot of dips. In fact, I find non-symmetric dips that cause side-to-side motion are worse than vertical motion – with the former being fairly hard on the neck muscles on an extended bumpy drive.
A softer shock absorber setting option in addition to the “firm” and “firmer” settings we have now would definitely be welcome. (Magnetorheological shocks?).

I usually drive in manual mode, but flick it to the automatic setting when driving longer periods in a straight line. On those occasions that one wants to drive in auto mode, it would be desirable to also have a third (middle) setting to the transmission auto shift calibration, that allowed for brisk (not flat out) acceleration with shifts at around 5-6000 rpm, but then allowed the car to self-shift to 6th or 7th gear when it senses that you are done accelerating. I currently find that I have to do that manually while in the auto sport setting, otherwise in Sport mode it holds 3rd, 4th or 5th gear forever – depending on your speed.

Compensating for these slight inconveniences, the drive to work is an event I look forward to each day. The car is hyper-connected, engaging, and thrilling on each drive.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:36 PM
YOCOHO
Racer

Old 12-22-2014, 03:53 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by onelio
I have been using my car as a daily driver since getting it two weeks ago (and nearly 2000 winter kilometers!).
Many of you have wondered how it is as a daily driver.
The answer is that it is obviously very useable every day. (Although I have to confess that I had to drive it back into the garage on the day we got 8 inches of snow, and it “floated” as I was trying to back it out of the garage!).
The main challenge is the stiff suspension, which can be a bit painful if the roads you drive on have a lot of dips. In fact, I find non-symmetric dips that cause side-to-side motion are worse than vertical motion – with the former being fairly hard on the neck muscles on an extended bumpy drive.
A softer shock absorber setting option in addition to the “firm” and “firmer” settings we have now would definitely be welcome. (Magnetorheological shocks?).

I usually drive in manual mode, but flick it to the automatic setting when driving longer periods in a straight line. On those occasions that one wants to drive in auto mode, it would be desirable to also have a third (middle) setting to the transmission auto shift calibration, that allowed for brisk (not flat out) acceleration with shifts at around 5-6000 rpm, but then allowed the car to self-shift to 6th or 7th gear when it senses that you are done accelerating. I currently find that I have to do that manually while in the auto sport setting, otherwise in Sport mode it holds 3rd, 4th or 5th gear forever – depending on your speed.

Compensating for these slight inconveniences, the drive to work is an event I look forward to each day. The car is hyper-connected, engaging, and thrilling on each drive.
You can get that middle auto mode using throttle modulation. You have to be fairly heavy with your foot to get it to shift at 5-6k but it will do it. Alternatively use PDK Sport mode which will shift about there or lower with a light throttle. Then turn it back to normal once you get to fifth gear.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:03 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

I've been using mine as a DD as well....always in manual and a very comfortable ride....
Old 12-22-2014, 10:20 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got mine and starting to DD, manual is great...when you come to a red light it down shifts for you anyway. Perfect!
Old 12-22-2014, 10:49 PM
mainly
Racer

you drive this car in the snow? i cant imagine. in temperatures that snow falls the tires must be quite hard and the ride quite unpleasant.

you have winter tires i hope.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:47 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

It is amazing.
Makes all my old ones seem very old.
Smooth, comfortable, ergonomics are great and of course,

WJFW!
Old 12-23-2014, 10:17 AM
onelio
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mainly
you drive this car in the snow? i cant imagine. in temperatures that snow falls the tires must be quite hard and the ride quite unpleasant.

you have winter tires i hope.
Snows - yes - installed Pirelli Sottozeros before I even picked the car up from the dealer.
And yes, it is mighty stiff! (But I do not think it is just from the tires - it is just very stiffly sprung and stiff shock absorbers.)
Notwithstanding all that, probably the most fun winter driveable car available.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:02 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Using mine as a daily driver too, when it's not raining. Oddly enough, unlike other reccent PDK cars, I can't get the daily drive shift points to work for me in regular or S mode. So I'm shifting manually too.

Auto mode also doesn't work as well as I expected in certain high performance conditions (compared to the 918's auto mode, which is flawless in every setting I've tried it). PDK+S seems to work well on runs with higher speed corners and moderate or no elevation changes. But, with big elevation changes and tight corners, I find that it doesn't downshift sufficiently to accelerate out of the corners. So I end up manually shifting in these conditions (e.g., the run up Palomar Mountain).
Old 12-23-2014, 12:58 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I've been using mine as a DD, but don't plan to once the roads are salted or if it snows. I've been driving it rain or shine with no issues. I keep it in manual primarily. I haven't noticed too much attention probably due in part to the gray color.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:33 PM
cingulus
Racer

I find PDK-s mode work well it a few manual shifts not and then.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:31 PM
mainly
Racer

Originally Posted by onelio
Snows - yes - installed Pirelli Sottozeros before I even picked the car up from the dealer.
And yes, it is mighty stiff! (But I do not think it is just from the tires - it is just very stiffly sprung and stiff shock absorbers.)
Notwithstanding all that, probably the most fun winter drive able car available.
wow. even with winter tires the car wouldnt be usable with the winters we have. i guess if you never get more than 3 inches of snow. but we get snowfalls of 6-8 inches at a time, and before the roads get plowed, you wouldnt get 10 feet in the gt3. just not enough clearance.

i tend to believe its more due to the tires, the stiff ride. as when i first got mine, even though the temps were already starting to cool off(17-21 deg c) the ride wasnt bad. after a few weeks when it got down to 10, 12 and then 8 deg c, the ride was noticeably more harsh and stiff. i think at even lower temps ; 3, 4, 5 deg C, etc. it would be just about un-driveable. for me at least.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Daily Driver Use - Report