Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Fart and GO" and how to reach Nirvana !!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 02:56 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Glad to hear you're out enjoying the car. I took my wife for a drive on Friday night - ended up after 45 minutes of twisties having to find somewhere for her to puke. She was fine on the earlier freeway runs and even drove it herself, but just be mindful of pushing it in twisties! She now hates the car, hahaha.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:59 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

These cars are not trophies that you put on a mantle and stare at.

Good to see you are enjoying her
Old 12-21-2014, 03:12 PM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think your wife spoke to someone at Porsche Cars Canada about the 991 GT3 break-in TSB. Up there it's just F.A.G. - Fart And Go.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:33 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Conekilr

Merry Christmas to you all from both of us !!!

Merry Christmas to you as well. Glad you are enjoying the car. Love your thread.
Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2014, 03:35 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Awesome!!!!
Old 12-21-2014, 05:21 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A few more observations...

Just thought I'd add a few more relevant observations on the car...

General: The fit and finish on this car is outstanding; built like a tank. It's also one of the best looking cars out there in my eyes. The shape, proportions and stance are just perfect. The interior is very nice and all controls are in easy reached. I specifically like the high up location of the shifter. A well executed car.

The Steering: I actually found the steering to have a nice weight to it and the feedback was very good. I found it to be on par with my buddy's 997.1 GT3 and better than my Cayman R.

The transmission: Having always had manual sports cars, I was curious to see how I would like the PDK-S transmission. The only experience I've had with the auto manual boxes were driving the 458 Italia, Aventador and 430 Scuderia. Funny thing, the first time I went to start the car, I went to depress the clutch and was a bit dumbfounded for a moment as to how to start the car. As good and as fast as the PDK-S is (I'd say it's on par with the 458's DCT) a few things struck me; with the manual transmission, you instinctively know what gear you're in at all times but with the PDK and similar type transmissions, no have no clue and only have the gear number display as a reference. The other thing is the upshifts. While fast and smooth, I find it a bit too smooth. I prefer to have a slight interruption between shifts similar to the single clutch transmission in the 430 Scuderia. This preference probably has to do with the Sequential transmission in my Radical race car too. Having said that it is a fantastic transmission and one that I will enjoy getting to love more. I have only been driving in manual mode and have been using both the paddles and shift level again with a preference for the shift level because of my race car. I like the optionality of having both and have used them in combination at times...

Exhaust: I may be in the minority, but I don't mind the on/off nature of the flaps and don't plan on disabling them. While I do like the sound of the exhaust after 3700 RPMs, it is a tad too quiet for me and I have a sharkwerks by-pass on order to remedy this.

Engine: The engine is great and will only get better with more miles which I'm looking forward to. I love that it is fast revving and I find the pull to be quite linear when on the gas. It will pull and pull all the way to 9000 RPM.

Having driven my buddy's 997.1 GT3, the new car is indeed a leap forward but not so much as to render the previous generation obsolete. It's just different and certainly puts Porsche at the forefront of the next generation of true sports cars.

Again, all in my humble option.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:41 AM
H82BL8
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I did not read the thread on "break in procedure"
Can someone give me the short version.
Obviously Conekilr is "drive it like you stole it" break in
Old 12-22-2014, 12:59 AM
Gravity
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good day gentleman. Pete I agree with your comment about the shift and I hate to say it but it just gets smoother as the clicks pile on. Almost too smooth it's not bad. Just different. I'm so glad to see that your driving it anyway and driving it like it's meant to be driven I stopped even trying to break mine in at about 500 k. The car just said. Enough Let's go. Going to be fun seeing your beautiful blue on the streets. Friends of mine sent me pics of your car. Must have been on your way home after delivery. They were blown away.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:03 AM
Gravity
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also sport button will probably be the same for you as your manual shifting .it cruises it at about 4 grand and downshifts to keep it there .if you pound on it it will rev all the way to 9. Ps launch control gives a whole new meaning to the phrase bucket of fun
Old 12-22-2014, 04:43 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by H82BL8
Mike, I think the suggested break in period is under 4,000RPM for the first 2,000KM but I wouldn't trust me and check the manual

I'm really not that bad. I have just taken it to 9,000RPM a few times. I am varying my RPM shift points and making sure everything is up to temp...

Old 12-22-2014, 04:46 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gravity
Also sport button will probably be the same for you as your manual shifting .it cruises it at about 4 grand and downshifts to keep it there .if you pound on it it will rev all the way to 9. Ps launch control gives a whole new meaning to the phrase bucket of fun
John, I enjoy shifting myself as it offers one more way of connecting with the car. I actually find using the shifter is more involving than the paddles. I have been driving the car in Auto until it warms up though.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:49 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gravity
...Friends of mine sent me pics of your car. Must have been on your way home after delivery. They were blown away.
John, can you email the pictures to me.

Thanks

Old 12-22-2014, 04:58 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by H82BL8
warm oil. go to 9. repeat.

Quick Reply: "Fart and GO" and how to reach Nirvana !!