Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First LWB with harness installed driver and passenger

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 10:40 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

In another thread someone contacted Porsche re: the lack of pass thru and this was part of their answer that the plate wouldn't fit ( like there is no room for the hole in the seat- more smoke!). Let me find it and repost here.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:46 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Congrats on having the first US car with LWBs capable of 6-points on both sides.

Very well done! Nice cutting skills.

Could you post some more pics of your finished cushion mods?

Last edited by Mech33; 02-02-2015 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:48 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
In another thread someone contacted Porsche re: the lack of pass thru and this was part of their answer that the plate wouldn't fit ( like there is no room for the hole in the seat- more smoke!). Let me find it and repost here.
Hmm is there unique wiring under the passenger seat? Just for the occupancy sensor?
Old 02-01-2015, 10:50 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Here it is:

Originally Posted by Manifold
My dealer got the following response from PAG on the LWB passenger seat:
"It is correct that there is a difference in the P11 (full bucket seat) on the driver’s and passenger’s side. The passenger’s side seat does not have a 5-/6-point seat belt slot because of the passenger occupant detection system which is required in the US.

It should be noted that if someone wishes to fix a 5-/6-point harness then they must also install a roll cage and a plate on the body shell under the seat to anchor the harness. Neither the roll cage nor the anchor plate are provided by Porsche as they are not homologated (approved) for distribution in the US. This is rather inconsequential considering the regulatory requirement stated above, but it is a factor from a production standpoint."
I'm not a happy camper. My response to the my dealer:
"Please ask them what mods are needed to make the seat work with 6-pt without disabling the passenger occupant detection system, and what’s involved in installing the plate they mention.

Please also ask them to cover the cost of those mods. I think it’s reasonable for a buyer to assume and expect that both will work with 6-pt harnesses given that:

• This is a car with track warranty
• These are the only seats they offer which have slots for shoulder harnesses used on track
• There was no indication in the seat description that the seats won’t work with 6-pt harnesses
• If they could make the driver’s seat work, why not the passenger seat?
• The cost of these seats is almost $5K extra
• The previous GT2 seats worked with 6-pt harnesses without any issues, so it was reasonable for a buyer to expect the same with these seats"
Maybe if we all bitch about it, PAG will step up and do the right thing. Otherwise, I wish I'd gotten the regular seats and saved almost $5K, which I could have swapped out for nice track seats at much less cost.
Well, little unclear if the plate exists, maybe it's a cup part or a club sport part. PMNA will know, someone have a contact?
Old 02-01-2015, 10:53 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
Congrats on having the first US car with LWBs capable of 6-points on both sides.

Very well done! Nice cutting skills.

Could youngest some more pics of your finished cushion mods?
Maybe after the Super Bowl, it's simple really.

Hmm is there unique wiring under the passenger seat? Just for the occupancy sensor?
Yes, the sensor is below the cut.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:18 AM
doba_s
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Where do the harnesses attach?
We didn't add the belt bar yet as we are looking at different seats (Recaro, Sparco and LWB) to find a sweet spot where to attach the belt bar. It should be done this week and I can post some more pics.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:23 AM
doba_s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
Aleks, did you manage to secure OEM LWB's or are you going with after markets?
Aftermarket
Old 02-02-2015, 12:43 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would you be willing to post a pic of your multi tool and blade for reference ? much appreciated.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:56 AM
doba_s
Rennlist Member

Then peal,back the felt carefully where the hole is supposed to go. Use tape to hold it back. Warning, when you cut the carbon fiber the dust goes eveywhere, so cover with tape the sticky side so it remains tacky (learn from my mistake!) Take some measurements from the drivers side, use double sticky tape and place the template down on the shell. Double check that there are no cables underneath where you are going to cut, move them as far as you can to be sure. If you have placed the template properly the foward edge of the hole will line up with the pass through in the seat.

I used a multi tool with a carbide cutting bit and it cut quickly and easily (watch those wires!)I set the cutting depth just deep enough to cut through the CF. Sand and smooth it so there are no ruff edges fold back the felt and that's it! I did check the occupancy sensor to make sure it was not harmed and all is well.
Nice job!

I would also advise to add some molding around the edge and perhaps reinforce the bottom of the seat where the opening is with some thin aluminum plate. It's just to make sure CF won't crack over time from the pressure of the sub-belts.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:17 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

I used an old Dremel with a carbide cutting bit and attachment

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1529
Size:  166.1 KB

Carbide bit: http://www.dremel.com/en-ca/Accessor...l.aspx?pid=569

Attachment:http://www.dremel.com/en-ca/Attachme...l.aspx?pid=565

My Dremel is almost as old as I am, so the attachment doesn't really fit, but it does on any Dremel made in the last 20 years
Old 02-02-2015, 02:26 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doba_s
Nice job!

I would also advise to add some molding around the edge and perhaps reinforce the bottom of the seat where the opening is with some thin aluminum plate. It's just to make sure CF won't crack over time from the pressure of the sub-belts.
Thank-you! Good ideas, but to clarify it is now identical to the drivers side. The hole is in the same location, the shell is the same, and the felt is used to cover the edge same as the drivers side. So any reinforcements should be done to both if necessary. Honestly, I don't think it is necessary as long as the substrap is anchored properly, just below and slightly behind the opening. This will center the belts in the hole which is pretty large for the belts.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:39 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for posting Montoya. Long time ago when I was an A&P mechanic I worked on composite panels all the time. How you approached it is exactly how I will as well. As another poster mentioned I will add my shop vac to the work to assist with the dust and all will be well. Probably wear a respirator as well to be safe.

I was thinking of possibly bonding a doubler (material unknown- maybe CF or AL) to the open seat slot as well if I deemed it needed it. To be honest I have not taken the seats out yet to take a look. Waiting for the sub bar solution and procure my roll bar before I take everything apart. I just want to take it all apart once to carry out the roll bar/ sub bar and harness install all at once.

Thanks for taking the time to post your work. Very helpful for all.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:46 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,123 Posts

I think adding something on the inside edge is a good idea. I wouldn't bother with any reinforcement. My pole position seats have something like these on the inside of the hole. Would keep belts from chaffing on the carbon which is sort of sharp.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#edge-trim/=vqa3dq

Like this:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#trim-molding/=vqa5h3
Old 02-02-2015, 02:46 AM
doba_s
Rennlist Member

Thank-you! Good ideas, but to clarify it is now identical to the drivers side. The hole is in the same location, the shell is the same, and the felt is used to cover the edge same as the drivers side. So any reinforcements should be done to both if necessary. Honestly, I don't think it is necessary as long as the substrap is anchored properly, just below and slightly behind the opening. This will center the belts in the hole which is pretty large for the belts.
perhaps it will be ok, i just tend to be safe than sorry
Old 02-02-2015, 03:04 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks montoya!! The pictures and descriptions are top notch. I really appreciate your willingness to share this info. Great job! Much appreciated!

Quick Reply: First LWB with harness installed driver and passenger