Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So you're on the fence about clear film?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 03:35 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts
Default So you're on the fence about clear film?

This morning I went out for another amazing drive. Country hilly roads, and a patch where there was some loose gravel and dirt. Eeek! All I can say is that my investment in getting the rockers and large parts of the rear fenders xpel'd paid off. The fenders really took a beating and thankfully ALL the areas affected were covered in film and it did its job. After a clean and wax there are still some tiny pits in the film but nothing that is unsightly. I would have been so upset if my paint had been damaged. So, if you're on the fence about clear film...GET IT!

Here are a couple of before and after pics.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:39 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How far up is your film on the rear fender?
Old 12-19-2014, 03:58 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was told you have to take lots of care for Xpel. Not sure if I'm up for the task
Old 12-19-2014, 04:04 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by skuplist
How far up is your film on the rear fender?
Pretty much the whole way up and def covering the leading edge.

Last edited by Haku; 12-19-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:37 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
I was told you have to take lots of care for Xpel. Not sure if I'm up for the task
No more care than if you wash and wax/seal your car anyway.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:51 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
This morning I went out for another amazing drive. Country hilly roads, and a patch where there was some loose gravel and dirt. Eeek! All I can say is that my investment in getting the rockers and large parts of the rear fenders xpel'd paid off. The fenders really took a beating and thankfully ALL the areas affected were covered in film and it did its job. After a clean and wax there are still some tiny pits in the film but nothing that is unsightly. I would have been so upset if my paint had been damaged. So, if you're on the fence about clear film...GET IT!

Here are a couple of before and after pics.

You're spot on I took a drive from ATL through the GA mtns, and thru NC the car took a beating. Had it not been for the wrap I would have had a ton of damage. I actually got 3 small chips in the bra from some debris impact well over 100 mph.

I can say it's not a virgin garage queen for sure, but I would never go naked. The wheels are so huge they kick up rocks all over the place which can't be avoided.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:10 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
In what regard? No special maintenance instructions that I am aware of. I sealed and waxed it the same as the painted surfaces so no extra steps.

The front of the rear fenders, where Haku too some hits, are reported to get really beat on the GT3. I used the same installer. He covers the front half of the rear fender from the top of the door/fender seam almost to the middle of the wheel well. Looks like it was a good investment.

Quick Reply: So you're on the fence about clear film?