Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Mclaren P13 a GT3 Competitor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 10:25 AM
senna
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Mclaren P13 a GT3 Competitor?

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...g-2015-launch/
Old 12-19-2014, 10:29 AM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Earlier announcements have revealed McLaren's 911 with the doors up, confirming it will have the swan doors made famous on the 650S and P1.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:05 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

I'm sure it will be like the 12C - great engine, great chassis, and the rest not so much. I'd stick with Porsche unless you really crave the attention.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:14 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
I'm sure it will be like the 12C - great engine, great chassis, and the rest not so much. I'd stick with Porsche unless you really crave the attention.
Could you elaborate on the "rest not so much." I'm just curious how you got to that conclusion.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:15 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"Remember this car is targeting the Porsche 911 Turbo."

Furthermore, many journalist favored the GT3 over the 650s.

MB will be launching the GT soon. Who's next Kia?

Bring it.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:18 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
the MC are FAST as $hit! However watch Clarkson's comparo b/w an MC and a 458 and you'll understanding- "socks vs stockings."
Old 12-19-2014, 11:23 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

One of my favorite technical aspects of the McLarens is their use of hydraulic power steering where the pump is driven by an electric motor. So, you have all of the feel and feedback of a hydraulic rack without the power and efficiency losses of a belt driven pump.

This is what Porsche has done with all the recent factory racing versions of the 911 (including new 991 Cup) and what the 991 GT3 should have received.

Click on Chassis: http://www.porsche.com/usa/eventsand...ogyandconcept/
Old 12-19-2014, 11:53 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
the MC are FAST as $hit! However watch Clarkson's comparo b/w an MC and a 458 and you'll understanding- "socks vs stockings."
Let's please speak from personal experience and not simply quote magazines and tv shows.

The biggest things working against the current gen mclarens as track cars are:
- software nannies very intrusive
- difficult to smoothly moderate throttle on lift
- non CCB brake fade
- heat soak on really warm days

As a street car, the macs are blazingly fast and exciting
Old 12-19-2014, 12:25 PM
kosmo
Race Director

I havent experienced the latter 2 points, however the other 2 are spot on. Also the parts cost on this car is stupid. The best aspect of the MC is its ride. Best riding sport car out there.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:46 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
One of my favorite technical aspects of the McLarens is their use of hydraulic power steering where the pump is driven by an electric motor. So, you have all of the feel and feedback of a hydraulic rack without the power and efficiency losses of a belt driven pump.

This is what Porsche has done with all the recent factory racing versions of the 911 (including new 991 Cup) and what the 991 GT3 should have received.

Click on Chassis: http://www.porsche.com/usa/eventsand...ogyandconcept/
+100
Old 12-19-2014, 12:59 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The P13 is a car I have been waiting to see and one I may be interested in however, I do not see it as a direct competitor to the GT3, more like a competitor to the Turbo S.

It would be nice if it's a NA Flat 8 !!

My biggest impediment to buying a McLaren is that there is only one dealership in the entire country and it's thousands of kilometers away from where I live...They need to expand their dealer network in Canada.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:09 PM
DES GTS
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Conekilr
My biggest impediment to buying a McLaren is that there is only one dealership in the entire country and it's thousands of kilometers away from where I live...They need to expand their dealer network in Canada.
Agreed. The depth of the Porsche dealer network is important, particularly in large cities where you have your choice of service centres. With a McLaren you could only go to one dealership for service and if you happened to alienate the shop foreman one day, you'd either need to move or sell the car.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:11 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

I have driven the 12c and marvel at its numbers and truely wanted to love the car and fully recognize its performance. Unfortunetly, I've never driven such a special car that somehow felt so unspecial and plain. Hopefully they bring some life and excitement into this new model.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:23 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Let's see, a few brief highlights of my 12C ownership experience.
- you will become good friends with the service tech - he may drive the car more than you do
- don't park the car in the sun - the LCD displays for the A/C will burn out (seriously, using LCD's in such a car in 2012!! WTF!!)
- don't park the car in the sun - the front bumper will warp and won't line up correctly with the hood
- don't expect the stereo to keep playing all the time it's on, it will randomly shut off or change stations
- don't even try using the nav - use your phone
- don't worry if the headlights get mold inside - McLaren will replace them for free

I must say, the warranty service McLaren provides is great. The bad thing is - it needs to be. If you don't have a local dealer, it will not be pleasant for sure.

The engine and chassis are brilliant, if a bit clinical. You can go crazy fast, but there is no sense of accomplishment - any fool with a pulse can go just as fast. Not rewarding at all to drive. In that regard, no competition for the GT3 at all. The Turbo, sure.

Hopefully, the P-13 will address some of the quality control issues and vast deficiencies of the electronics. If it does, and you live near a dealer, it might be OK.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:05 PM
nh4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike Flewitt (McLaren Auto CEO) has said that the 991 GT3 was one of the benchmarks for P13. I am a huge McLaren fan but when the reality of how good the GT3 is became more widely known I think those comments created something of a predicament for McLaren... As others have said, the GT3 can do a decent job running with the 650S so Flewitt's comments will require some real needle-threading to get P13 to the GT3 level without cannibalizing the 650S.

The thing with P13 is that it is a whole lineup of cars, not just one model. There will be a storage-friendly "touring" version (that's supposedly what's in the spy pics) and a sportier version initially released at the NY Auto Show. US deliveries won't be until late Q3 and more likely Q4 of next year. Other models off of the P13 platform will be introduced over the next few years.

It's my hope that the P13 announcement will be coupled with a massive expansion of their dealer network. I think that is something they need to do to get access to more markets. I think it is also something they need to do to revitalize their brand.

So, back to the original question... Will P13 be competition for GT3? I think it will be close enough that it will be down to the motivations of the buyer to decide. The GT3 might win a few stats battles, but McLaren are pretty good at making fast cars and I think they are getting better at targeting their audience. Personally I don't think I'd kick either a GT3 or a P13 out of my driveway.

-nh4.

Quick Reply: New Mclaren P13 a GT3 Competitor?