991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too many PCCBs!

Old 12-17-2014, 11:24 PM
senna
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I will bite. Why is the carbon brakes so bad? Sure, it is expensive but then what?
Old 12-17-2014, 11:52 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ At a certain point how much braking do u really need? Are we talking 24 hrs of le mans?
Old 12-18-2014, 12:06 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

You can also ruin a rotor with a pebble then can crack and then its like a 5-7,000 repair.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:09 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 151 Posts

The best I can come up after reading all the threads is the don't dust your wheels.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:28 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

this has been beaten to death... never has been about braking... I have never read a pccb owner that said the standard irons weren't enough... not once.

those getting them say its for unsprung mass reduction, 10lbs per corner has been stated... and brake dust... not because of braking, the standard brakes are more than adequate.

those not getting them say the unsprung mass reduction isn't that much, and not enough to feel, and so not worth 9k just for brake dust

they are expensive to replace, so not good on track if you don't want to have to replace... on the street they will last forever

I got them because I couldn't stand the thought of being in Porsche's highest performance model if the weight reduction WAS significant...and resulted in lighter handling, more response, etc.

beaten to death

Other than buckets, lift, PDLS, pccb was my only option... $149k sticker
Old 12-18-2014, 12:36 AM
DES GTS
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
this has been beaten to death... never has been about braking... I have never read a pccb owner that said the standard irons weren't enough... not once. those getting them say its for unsprung mass reduction, 10lbs per corner has been stated... and brake dust... not because of braking, the standard brakes are more than adequate. those not getting them say the unsprung mass reduction isn't that much, and not enough to feel, and so not worth 9k just for brake dust they are expensive to replace, so not good on track if you don't want to have to replace... on the street they will last forever I got them because I couldn't stand the thought of being in Porsche's highest performance model if the weight reduction WAS significant...and resulted in lighter handling, more response, etc. beaten to death Other than buckets, lift, PDLS, pccb was my only option... $149k sticker
Well said!
Old 12-18-2014, 01:45 AM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have driven several different types of cars, all of the same car with and without carbon brakes. The difference in ride and handling was very noticeable in all of them.

I am not going to track that much so for me the PCCB are a plus but I can see the augment if your a track junky. Are carbon better breaks? yes. Are they worth the extra expense? Depends on the person.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:00 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by senna
Ok, I will bite. Why is the carbon brakes so bad? Sure, it is expensive but then what?
For those who plan on tracking the car regularly, the PCCBs are a hindrance. They may "last forever" on the street, but they certainly do not when subjected to frequent track use. At which point you're faced with $17,000+ in replacement costs for rotors. Contrast that with around $2,400 for a high-quality set of slotted GiroDisc cast iron rotors. And with "low-tech" standard brakes you get to fine-tune braking with pad selection from Pagid, PFC, etc.
Originally Posted by OldGuy
You can also ruin a rotor with a pebble then can crack and then its like a 5-7,000 repair.
This too.
Originally Posted by mrsullivan
this has been beaten to death... never has been about braking... I have never read a pccb owner that said the standard irons weren't enough... not once.

those getting them say its for unsprung mass reduction, 10lbs per corner has been stated... and brake dust... not because of braking, the standard brakes are more than adequate.

those not getting them say the unsprung mass reduction isn't that much, and not enough to feel, and so not worth 9k just for brake dust

they are expensive to replace, so not good on track if you don't want to have to replace... on the street they will last forever

I got them because I couldn't stand the thought of being in Porsche's highest performance model if the weight reduction WAS significant...and resulted in lighter handling, more response, etc.

beaten to death

Other than buckets, lift, PDLS, pccb was my only option... $149k sticker
Beaten to death, yes, and a personal decision. My point is more that it's interesting that dealers are choosing to option these cars almost exclusively with PCCBs vs standard brakes, at least based on this small sample I observed.
Originally Posted by Sloopy
I have driven several different types of cars, all of the same car with and without carbon brakes. The difference in ride and handling was very noticeable in all of them.

I am not going to track that much so for me the PCCB are a plus but I can see the augment if your a track junky. Are carbon better breaks? yes. Are they worth the extra expense? Depends on the person.
Which brings us to a conundrum--if the car's true ultimate potential can only be experienced with the lighter unsprung mass of PCCBs, and that ultimate potential can only be safely explored in a track setting, and yet frequent track use destroys expensive PCCBs, where are we now?
Old 12-18-2014, 12:25 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by paradocs98
Which brings us to a conundrum--if the car's true ultimate potential can only be experienced with the lighter unsprung mass of PCCBs, and that ultimate potential can only be safely explored in a track setting, and yet frequent track use destroys expensive PCCBs, where are we now?
Marginal performance isn't cheap, look at the GT3 vs GT3 RS pricing historically and expected pricing this time around. Compare a 458 vs 458 Speciale, or GT3 vs a 918. Marginal gains in the hands of much better drivers than I, for a ton of money.

I have PCCBs, I have no issue replacing them if I end up tracking my car a lot and they don't last. But I have a dedicated track car, so other than a few 40 minute sessions here and there, I'm not sure I'll use the GT3 much on the track. I like the look of the PCCBs, that was reason enough for me.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:54 PM
cabman4007
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I really like yellow caliper look and ordered the TTS because of the PCCBs and the +40 HP.

Painting the red calipers yellow is not an option for me. A big bonus is clean wheels after 100s of miles.

The big question would be... If you could have the steel brakes or PCCBs either as standard items, which brakes would you choose? I bet the nay-sayers would choose the PCCBs. The main reason for the negative about the PCCBs are the cost and maintenance if used regularly on the track. Once I got used to these PCCBs I will never have the steel brakes on future sports cars.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:33 PM
senna
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it is a cost related issue. If I can I will spec on my car with it, but then I will do radio delete and PTS too. All I am saying it is not a deal breaker for me, that is all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Too many PCCBs!