Sponsored by:

Wheel Finish Already Chipped. Remedy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 07:35 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I second the wheel paint chipping - it's worse than what I ever experienced in any car. So far it's one of the very few disappointments with the car (other would be more difficult brake pad changes, centerlocks and poor tire availability). I am actually considering either plastidip or just giving up now and repainting the wheels in a year or so.
May consider this too. A buddy of mine plastidipped his track wheels and it held up just fine with the temps. Just seems like a shame to cover those nice wheels up
Old 12-16-2014, 07:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Everyone experiencing the issue should mention it to their dealer and also contact PCNA about it. If Porsche hears enough about the problem they might decide it's something they need to address. I've touched up my chips but I'm sure there will be more....
Old 12-16-2014, 07:47 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 700 miles on my silver painted wheels . I have not noticed any chips yet.

Last edited by Zucc; 12-16-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:42 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Everyone experiencing the issue should mention it to their dealer and also contact PCNA about it. If Porsche hears enough about the problem they might decide it's something they need to address. I've touched up my chips but I'm sure there will be more....
Mike can you post some pictures of the wheel after touch up paint. My concern is how the touched up areas look. Sometimes it looks worse after you apply touch up paint. Just curious if it is acceptable fix. Thanks in advance. Mark
Old 12-16-2014, 08:49 PM
Napoli
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Great advice, Mike. I contacted my salesman today (waiting to hear back) and will do the same w/ PCNA tomorrow.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:55 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

FWIW, we drove our Turbo loaner in Europe about 4500 km and had no problem at all with chips, and this despite its greater RWS angle (2.8 degrees IIRC). Anyone else with a Turbo want to comment on your experience (KY, etc)? So IMV it does not appear to be solely related to RWS.

Zucc, your comment on the silver wheels is interesting. Any other data points from silver wheel owners? (Leilani has had hers for a long time and presumably put on quite a few miles by now)

Maybe there is a paint issue with platinum and maybe black too?
Should we start a poll, divided according to wheel colour to see who's had chipping? (I'm happy to try to set this up) Maybe the platinum is getting chipped more because there are more of them around. Or maybe the frequency of chips really is higher for this colour. This forum could identify and document manufacturer defects and other issues (vs a few anecdotes), and I'm sure we can do a better job of surveillance than PAG can, seeing as how active, quick, and responsive this group is. I'm sure they'd probably value the feedback too.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:16 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Before everyone gets carried away this chipping is something I have been talking about for at least 6 months. Its clearly a combination of the Matt finish and the spoke design as others have identified. And yes the front wheels do pick up alot of stones especially when the MPSC2s are hot and especially on the track and they throw them back as well and it causes chips on the white under-body above the black sill detail. Nothing under this sun is new here.

The paint stick I posted and the code Sam kindly re posed is indeed a Porsche parts paint stick (hence its pricey!).

You will also find over time that the matt titanium/platinum paint becomes very hard to clean, it has a rough surface that collects the brake dust particularly in the corners by the rim and eventually it becomes somewhat embedded without the use of dedicated brake dust removal products...

The white that shows under the chips is undercoat. I spoke to my paint shop and they say its because the matt paint is more susceptible and because of the spoke design. They proposed two solutions:

1). Apply for the wheels to be repainted under warranty
2). Have the wheels sprayed with a satin clear coat to aid durability.

I was waiting for the US ground swell of warranty claims requests to filter into ROW land and then try option 1) but have them satin clear coated as well at the same time on PAGs dime. My paint guy says its the only way to increase durability.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:18 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by mqandil
Mike can you post some pictures of the wheel after touch up paint. My concern is how the touched up areas look. Sometimes it looks worse after you apply touch up paint. Just curious if it is acceptable fix. Thanks in advance. Mark
Hi Mark, I'd say it's acceptable but by no means perfect. From 3 feet or more, if you're not looking for them, you won't notice the repairs. Up close, or if you're in trying to find them, they're more noticeable.

The two worst chips were on my left rear wheel. You can see them on the spoke at 1:00 and the spoke at 3:30. The flash accentuates them quite a bit. There are some smaller chips that are barely visible in normal light. Anyway, the touch up is a lot better than the white primer and for now I can live with the result.
Attached Images    
Old 12-16-2014, 09:25 PM
Napoli
Racer

Some bad (and unintentionally large) iphone photos of some of my bigger chips.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:32 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Napoli
Some bad (and unintentionally large) iphone photos of some of my bigger chips.
Ouch....with the white showing through they look pretty rough before being touched up.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:34 PM
Napoli
Racer

Ouch....with the white showing through they look pretty rough before being touched up.
Yes. Making matters worse is that the larger ones appear to be flaking and will only grow over time.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:35 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

I'd say there's an issue. No way you should be seeing that kind of chipping with such low mileage.

The finished coat is not adhering very well to the base coat with the smallest impact, thus causing it to chip off.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:37 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This may be a paint issue for sure. The purpose of the primer is to bond to the underlying metal, and equally bond to the paint color. To have the paint color just chip off of the primer is not what is supposed to happen. As more are delivered, this will be a big issue.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:46 PM
HRE Wheels
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lodi
Won't powder coating will compromise the integrity of the wheel?
That should not be an issue if the powder coating company knows what they're doing.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:59 PM
Cyrek
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the chips as well. Noticed the first one after 150 miles. Gloss Black and up umtil now I thought only the blacks were going to be an issue.

Quick Reply: Wheel Finish Already Chipped. Remedy?