Sponsored by:

Wheel Finish Already Chipped. Remedy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 11:41 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LindsayMac
I think what you are looking for is Titan Metallic D7Z.

Picking my car up in 2 days, been browsing here for months picking up info that I will need. Superb forum for information.
This is it.

Originally Posted by UAEGT3
Is this Titan touch up color offered at the Porsche spare parts department at the dealership, or are you guys getting it from another source?

thanks
Parts can order it, it's a Porsche touch up.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:42 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I don't think they'll cover it by warranty, but did you buy the insurance from your dealer? They should repair it for free if so. I also had Opticoat put on mine after reading comments on how soft the finish is on here - hopefully they'll hold up a little better.
Opticoat won't do anything against chipping.

If there is a quality control issue like a paint adhesion problem, they'd have to fess up to it. After the other drama, that's all they need. They normally won't cover a paint chip anywhere related to normal driving wear/tear.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:43 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Napoli
Standard GT3 wheel finish. Chipped in several areas, getting worse. Only 500 non-track miles on car. Glaring white showing in chipped areas. Other than new wheels, any way to hide and halt the chipping and flaking? Anyone else experiencing this?
Pictures??

All this is just speculation without good pictures!

Same goes with these other paint issues.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:49 AM
STG
Race Director

By the way, all other wheel guys like HRE all powder coat their high end wheels.

A much better finish than spray painting them like Porsche always does.

Applied and cured correctly, powder coating doesn't compromise the wheel structure quality.

Porsche just paints. That's what they do for efficiency since they're already doing it for the body.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:15 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Id think that the rear wheel steering may be making this worse than normal by facing the outside of the wheels forwards, making them susceptible to rocks kicked up from the front wheels.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:22 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

3-4 coats of plastidip, takes 30 min or so to apply... Makes a nice thick layer which only comes off if you curb the wheel against the curb.. Anything less and you'll see nicks in the plasti, but still black underneath.. Wheel finish doesn't show through. Wheels are flat black.. The plasti takes the hit. I have 40,000 miles on my forged wheels and when the plasti started looking ragged I took it off to reapply. Wheels looked perfect.. Perfect.

Now, who knew I would say this?
Old 12-16-2014, 01:27 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig
Id think that the rear wheel steering may be making this worse than normal by facing the outside of the wheels forwards, making them susceptible to rocks kicked up from the front wheels.
Ditto!!
Old 12-16-2014, 01:35 PM
CYKBC
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
By the way, all other wheel guys like HRE all powder coat their high end wheels.

A much better finish than spray painting them like Porsche always does.

Applied and cured correctly, powder coating doesn't compromise the wheel structure quality.

Porsche just paints. That's what they do for efficiency since they're already doing it for the body.
Not 100% true.

There's always a concession.

With wet paint, you have much more flexibility when it comes to color and shine. You're limited with powder coating. Powder coating is arguably more durable, but if someone does a good wet paint job, it should be fine.

You also need to be careful with finding the right powder coating shop. It requires high temps to have it stick.

Net of it is, chips and scars are bound to happen. I'd touch it up and let it be. There's nothing wrong with it structurally.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:02 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone know if there is a Porsche touch up color for the gloss black wheels?
Old 12-16-2014, 03:10 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by CYKBC
Not 100% true. There's always a concession. With wet paint, you have much more flexibility when it comes to color and shine. You're limited with powder coating. Powder coating is arguably more durable, but if someone does a good wet paint job, it should be fine. You also need to be careful with finding the right powder coating shop. It requires high temps to have it stick. Net of it is, chips and scars are bound to happen. I'd touch it up and let it be. There's nothing wrong with it structurally.
Limited with powder coating?? Any Gloss/Matt/Satin level and any RAL color under the sun.

There is no less flexibility with powder coating. If anything, there is more.

Regardless, the Porsche paint is very good and a durable one in the past. I've stripped those wheels down and it's not an easy paint to get off.

Maybe there's something else causing this now?
Old 12-16-2014, 03:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig
Originally Posted by MileHigh911
Ditto!!
1.5 degrees (the maximum deflection of the RWS) is pretty tiny. And if you want to get really nit-picky, 1/2 the time the outside faces of the rear wheels are turning 1.5 degrees away from the front wheels so it should all average out.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:44 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't particularly like pwoder coating wheels. The powder coat will hide any potential cracks that may occur in the wheel. It would be better from the standpoint of safety check to have the wheels painted properly. This is especially true if you track the car. - the wheels will be exposed to greater stress and the possiility of a crack is greater.

My previous Porsches had painted wheels and chipping of the paint was never an issue. I hate to think this is another example of Porache changing the process or paint material and having quailty control issues...
Old 12-16-2014, 07:16 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

If this issue is as bad as the above posts indicate, I wouldn't just be disappointed, I would be requesting my dealer to take some action. There is a certain durability expectation here.

For example, this is what my 997.2 GT3 wheels looked like after 20k miles:

My McLaren 12c's wheels look flawless after 9k miles. I've driven this car on all kinds of roads, and after completing a 1400 mile roadtrip up HWY 1 this Thanksgiving, at speeds I'd rather not mention, my wheels had plenty of brake dust, but no chips.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:19 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by GregJGT3
I hate to think this is another example of Porache changing the process or paint material and having quailty control issues...
In Porsche's defense, most of these changes (for the worse) were required by environmental regulations (forced to use water-based paint instead of the better but noxious solvents).
Old 12-16-2014, 07:29 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 567 Posts

I second the wheel paint chipping - it's worse than what I ever experienced in any car. So far it's one of the very few disappointments with the car (other would be more difficult brake pad changes, centerlocks and poor tire availability). I am actually considering either plastidip or just giving up now and repainting the wheels in a year or so.

Quick Reply: Wheel Finish Already Chipped. Remedy?