DIY Video: Disconnecting Exhaust Valves

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 05:01 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmd
Money, will you be showing the dyno live

Also, will you keep the SW bypass on to see if there is any power drop?
I'm not going to remove the Sharkwerks. I simply going to do some pulls with the valves connected and disconnected at WOT. I'm also going to try and do what Mike suggested and do a few pulls under moderate throttle. I don't know if that works as well on the dyno, but I guess we'll find out.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:32 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
I'm not going to remove the Sharkwerks. I simply going to do some pulls with the valves connected and disconnected at WOT. I'm also going to try and do what Mike suggested and do a few pulls under moderate throttle. I don't know if that works as well on the dyno, but I guess we'll find out.

Money, if there was anybody that was going to do this, I knew it would be you. Now that you also plan on doing a video, what can I say..... Mr. Money you're for real. Thank you from all of us RL's.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:56 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
First, just to clarify, I did the mod and drew my conclusions before reading the technical explanation so it's not as if I my opinion was colored before I started. I also did a similar mod on my 997.2 Carrera S by pulling the electrical connection and didn't notice any difference in low end performance so I fully expected this mod on the GT3 to work without an issue. (Of course on the Carrera, unlike the GT3, Porsche made no claim for enhanced performance with PSE). The Porsche info says that the switching points at full throttle occur at 3200 and 4000 rpm respectively, depending on whether the button is pushed or not. But the critical part of the info, IMO, is where it says that "the switching point of the exhaust flaps depends on the load and engine speed". My interpretation of this is that the valves are modulated by the ECU for best torque at part throttle, which is how most of us drive most of the time. I think the description indicates that the PSE control system is engineered to be more than just an on off switch at a specific RPM.
My reading of it is that the switching point varies on throttle load because if you're on WOT it assumes you want more torque so opens the flaps earlier. But the info really isn't very clear and it only covers a very specific set of circumstances that will rarely happen. It also reads to me that at WOT the only difference between PSE on and off is that with ON the flaps open 800 rpm earlier. Now that's not much of a difference. And it's not how it feels to me on the road either. I think I'll try some full throttle runs in PSE off to see I get the sudden valve opening sound at 4,000.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:26 AM
UAEGT3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Money, much appreciated.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:50 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
My reading of it is that the switching point varies on throttle load because if you're on WOT it assumes you want more torque so opens the flaps earlier. But the info really isn't very clear and it only covers a very specific set of circumstances that will rarely happen. It also reads to me that at WOT the only difference between PSE on and off is that with ON the flaps open 800 rpm earlier. Now that's not much of a difference. And it's not how it feels to me on the road either. I think I'll try some full throttle runs in PSE off to see I get the sudden valve opening sound at 4,000.
Well, Paul, having PSE respond to throttle position and load seems like something that would happen regularly in normal driving, not rarely.

But honestly, I'd have stayed out of this discussion in Money's thread if it hadn't been for the fact that I started out as a proponent of this mod and basically encouraged people to do it in my own DIY thread. When I found out that it didn't deliver what I expected (based on my admittedly personal and subjective impressions) I felt I should share that info.

Like I said, people are free to draw their own conclusions. For my part, whether it's in my head or not, I have no regrets at all about going back to the stock configuration.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:05 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, Paul, having PSE respond to throttle position and load seems like something that would happen regularly in normal driving, not rarely.

But honestly, I'd have stayed out of this discussion in Money's thread if it hadn't been for the fact that I started out as a proponent of this mod and basically encouraged people to do it in my own DIY thread. When I found out that it didn't deliver what I expected (based on my admittedly personal and subjective impressions) I felt I should share that info.

Like I said, people are free to draw their own conclusions. For my part, whether it's in my head or not, I have no regrets at all about going back to the stock configuration.
Sorry I wasn't very clear. The manual only gives rpms for the valves opening on wide-open throttle. We're guessing on all the other (far more common) throttle openings.

Have you noticed the valves opening on full throttle with PSE turned off?
Old 12-16-2014, 07:49 AM
ZZinger
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank You for taking the time and $ to test the system each way on your GT3. I am eager to see the results. Unless their is a considerable loss in low end torque I am going unplugged all the time
Old 12-16-2014, 09:02 AM
Money2536
Race Car

Mike,

Your input is extremely helpful. Please keep adding info.

After driving the car to my office yesterday and then home, I'm not sure I'm going to keep the valves forced open. There is definitely less drone with the Sharkwerks bypass, but it is there at all times. Maybe I'm getting old, but it's annoying me.

I guess I was spoiled by my AWE Switchpath on my C2S. It was at the edge of ghetto loud but was perfect when cruising on the highway. I always had the PSE button on. For all I care, you can throw the valves in the trash. I just need the exhaust tuned better.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:01 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
Sorry I wasn't very clear. The manual only gives rpms for the valves opening on wide-open throttle. We're guessing on all the other (far more common) throttle openings.

Have you noticed the valves opening on full throttle with PSE turned off?
Paul, sorry if I'm belaboring the point. I AM making the assumption that when the docs say that the load and throttle position affect the operation of the flaps, that it refers to a wider range of operation than just at WOT. While it IS an assumption, it seems to track with observed behavior, but I've been fooled before....

Mike,

Your input is extremely helpful. Please keep adding info.

After driving the car to my office yesterday and then home, I'm not sure I'm going to keep the valves forced open. There is definitely less drone with the Sharkwerks bypass, but it is there at all times. Maybe I'm getting old, but it's annoying me.

I guess I was spoiled by my AWE Switchpath on my C2S. It was at the edge of ghetto loud but was perfect when cruising on the highway. I always had the PSE button on. For all I care, you can throw the valves in the trash. I just need the exhaust tuned better.
Money, I didn't mean to hijack your thread so I'm glad you don't feel like I did; thanks for your feedback.

I thought this little mod would satisfy and would leave the car sounding like PSE was always engaged without having to actually press the PSE button every time. But even the character of the sound was changed and, while louder, not for the better IMHO. I understand where you're coming from on wanting the exhaust tuned. I guess I'm getting old too and am no longer interested in doing significant mods to my cars, so it was a return to stock for me.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:30 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Heading to do the dyno pulls in the morning. I'll post up the results tomorrow.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:00 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Heading to do the dyno pulls in the morning. I'll post up the results tomorrow.

We'll all be anxiously waiting. Thanks again Money.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:08 PM
ZZinger
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
We'll all be anxiously waiting. Thanks again Money.
Yup me too. I hope the loss is minimal on the low end torque. The car sounds fantastic at the higher rpm's but looking for more growl down low

Thanks again for taking the time to do these dyno test runs Money!
Old 12-18-2014, 10:56 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

You rock Money!
Old 12-19-2014, 02:54 PM
Money2536
Race Car

I'm working on uploading photos, video, and dyno graphs. I'll tell you the car made more power in all situations with the valves DISCONNECTED.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:59 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Very interesting! Looking forward to the rest of the info.

Quick Reply: DIY Video: Disconnecting Exhaust Valves