Sponsored by:

1 Week and 1250 Km Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 02:08 PM
onelio
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 Week and 1250 Km Review

Background: I have been fortunate to own a number of sports cars over the years, and have enjoyed most of them. I have owned 4 Porsches – 2 Turbos (which I did not like) and now 2 GT3s ( I liked both of them).
I am not a particular fan of any one car company or brand – preferring to “like” specific cars/models on their merit rather than their lineage.
Attached is my observations after one week and 1250 kms of ownership, and daily driving in all sorts of weather and conditions and to destinations ranging from my office to the lumber yard, to country cruises. See before and after picture! I intend to keep driving it on every occasion that we do not have more than 4 inches of snow!

The fundamentals of my observations have not changed since I got the car but as I have become more accustomed and familiar with the car, and as I have had the opportunity to drive and enjoy it in multiple settings, I have come to really like the car. Taking everyday usability into account, it is probably one of the best sports cars available today (or ever for that matter).

Positives:
Extremely well planted – amazing traction (straight line and cornering), even in lousy winter/snow tire conditions. Reminds me of the GT-R in how it seems totally imperturbable.
Zero lean on cornering.
Very sharp turn-in (reminds me of the Scuderia in many ways).
Very sharp engine response – another example of why naturally aspirated engines are so much more satisfying.
Surprisingly strong acceleration – especially once you get above 6000 rpm. (See my comparison chart of G-force-in-gear - attached).
Sounds good from the outside at all RPM, sounds pretty good inside too, but particularly so at full throttle and higher RPM.
Decently comfortable - on smooth roads. 18 way adjustable seats do a good job of holding you in place.
Transmission is very good. Quick shifting, quite smooth, good clutch take-up. Tuned for efficiency, not drama.
A lot of fun/engaging when driven briskly.
Feels very solid/indestructible. Very Teutonic.
Everything works – the Infotainment system is excellent, dependable and easy to use. No need to accept shortcomings because it is a “low volume” car.
Having used it every day in winter conditions, the heater is excellent.

Could be improved:
Gear ratios are way too high – especially 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. (Again see attached chart compared to GT-R, 458, SLS). In 3rd gear, which would be the lowest gear that one would logically drive around in for a brisk drive in the countryside, the really good stuff does not happen until you hit 6000 rpm, and by that point you are going at pretty illegal speeds for all roads except multi-lane divided highways.
Sound at lower RPM, and part throttle, is gravely, industrial. Does not invite one to “hold on” to a gear to unnecessarily high RPM at moderate throttle just to hear the melody of the engine note.
Ride is VERY stiff even in “normal” mode. (Again, reminds me of the GT-R.) Would benefit from a “softer” setting on the shock absorbers.
Not particularly engaging when just tooling around at moderate speeds. (A sweeter lower-RPM interior engine sound and more delicate/snappier controls would help here).
Interior is of very good quality, but not “special” or differentiated from an “ordinary” 911. I really like the way they have done the door pulls and handles area. Look high tech, yet artistic, but the passenger side dash and the console is very plain/unimaginative. Come to think of it, the same is true for the exterior – it is just another Porsche 911 with a big wing (which severely obstructs what would otherwise be excellent visibility). ( I like the cleaner Carrera 4 body style the best). (The Porsche 918 I saw last week, on the other hand, was absolutely unique and stunning!).
Feels very serious! Could use a bit more silliness/fun sprinkled here and there.

Nitpicks:
Would prefer a slightly thicker steering wheel rim, specifically where the thumbs “hang” to activate the paddle shifts. (I have had paddle-shift cars for a long time, and I have actually caused nerve damage to my thumbs from “hanging” my thumbs at the 9 and 3 position on the wheel – so a fatter wheel at that location, would distribute the pressure better).
The car would “feel” lighter and more responsive if the shift paddles had a clearer detent and required less force to actuate.

Inevitable comparisons to the 458:
458 is faster/stronger - especially noticeable in the mid-range.
Way more “fun/engaging/special” at moderate speeds.
Transmission and engine are comparably good, but are tuned more for fun/drama.
The sound from the 458 goads you to keep it in gear and wind it out to ridiculously high rpm at moderate throttle positions, just to hear the changing melody of the exhaust.
458 is more comfortable. Rides better. Has more room for the driver. Has better visibility (no wing!).
Attached Images     
Old 12-11-2014, 02:20 PM
BenDiem
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

Very detailed write up.
Thanks for your impressions/review.
I too would prefer a fatter SW.

Having owned a ZR1 and seeing that graph, the ZR1 was an absolute Beast!

BTW, where did you get those cool floor mats?

Cheers/B
Old 12-11-2014, 02:38 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Took me a minute to figure out that chart. It's in kph, not mph :-) Agreed about gears being too tall. This is true of the regular 991 PDK as well.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:52 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for the review, but how did you come up with your gear ratio calculations? Individual ratios for the GT3 are as follows:

1st 3.75
2nd 2.38
3rd 1.72
4th 1.34
5th 1.11
6th .96
7th .84
Final drive 3.97

Overall gear ratios would therefore be:

1st 14.88
2nd 9.45
3rd 6.83
4th 5.32
5th 4.40

You don't show overall calculations for gears 1-3 for the GT3 in your chart but gearing in those gears is shorter than every car listed except the 458. The calculations you do show for gears 4-5 are incorrect, and using the correct numbers the GT3 is shorter geared in 4th and 5th than all cars except, again, the 458.

The only way it would be possible to shorten the ratios further, and keep proper spacing throughout the speed range, would be to reduce top speed significantly. Admittedly this might be useful for US drivers but we have to remember this is a German car, designed for an environment where people take advantage of the upper speed ranges.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 12-11-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:56 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,736 Likes on 4,765 Posts

Great write-up.

Thank you for taking the time.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:59 PM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OP , Thanks for a great objective review. The low to moderate speed engagement has always been my concern with GT3. Past 997.2 Gt3 was the same , you have to rev really high for the fun. Looks like that has not changed!.Off-course this is an issue only when compared to Ferrari like 458 or Scud. I wish Porsche paid a bit more attention to exhaust noise variation across the rev range. Looks like they clearly made a huge impact 7k to 9K.

I have a inbound GT3 cant wait ..
Old 12-11-2014, 03:05 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

The 458S manages a 202mph top speed and has higher gearing. I'd gladly give up a few mph on the top to have a much better experience the other 99.99% of the time I drive the car. (Estimate rounding up. In reality, I'll never go above about 160).
Old 12-11-2014, 03:39 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Your observations are consistent with my experience as well but you articulated the gearing issue very well. Improving the engine/exhaust sounds at less than 4-5K would go a long way to making the car more entertaining around town or on the back roads.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:02 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nice comments
Old 12-11-2014, 05:41 PM
Vetsky
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Great write up.

For some reason, I think the third image of your dirty GT3 pic is just sexy.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:47 PM
BenDiem
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

All,

Some of you have commented about the quite sound at idle and under the 4k rpm range...

A quick fix for me was to simply crimp/remove the wire/selenoids from the stock exhaust. My exhaust flaps are now open all the time, even at idle. I think the car sounds awesome. There is some resonance, but it's not any louder/annoying than the ZR1/Z06 with the fuse removed...
It's a cheap/free fix, and I love the sound. I'm completely satisfied. Try it...

Cheers/BB
Old 12-11-2014, 07:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by BenDiem
All,

Some of you have commented about the quite sound at idle and under the 4k rpm range...

A quick fix for me was to simply crimp/remove the wire/selenoids from the stock exhaust. My exhaust flaps are now open all the time, even at idle. I think the car sounds awesome. There is some resonance, but it's not any louder/annoying than the ZR1/Z06 with the fuse removed...
It's a cheap/free fix, and I love the sound. I'm completely satisfied. Try it...

Cheers/BB
I did try it. I plugged the vacuum lines to the flapper valves which caused them to be open at all times. There was more sound but what I also discovered is that there is another reason as to why the valves work the way they do. At lower rpm, torque is enhanced by a certain amount backpressure in the exhaust system, something that I've found when doing exhaust mods on other cars. There was a noticeable seat-of-the-pants reduction in low end torque with the valves open 100% of the time. The car isn't a torque monster in the first place, so I switched back.

As with most mods to OEM engineering there is a trade off. Just thought I'd add my experience, FWIW.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
I noticed this also, however the sound was more important to me as anytime i need more torque its just a milesecond downshift away to get those rpms up.

no option in 1st gear but to deal with this. then again since im not drag racing no issues.
For me the choice between more sound and less performance was easy, but I get that everyone is different. I only brought it up because I thought anyone contemplating doing that particular exhaust mod should at least be aware that there is no free lunch...
Old 12-11-2014, 08:34 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm still adhering to the break in, below 4200 rpm for 2000 long miles. I can't really tell any sound difference with the sport exhaust in the lower rev range. Do you need to be above 4200 or more rpm for any difference?
Old 12-11-2014, 09:55 PM
onelio
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BenDiem
Very detailed write up.
Thanks for your impressions/review.
I too would prefer a fatter SW.

Having owned a ZR1 and seeing that graph, the ZR1 was an absolute Beast!

BTW, where did you get those cool floor mats?

Cheers/B
Lloyds Floor Mats- about $120 with the GT3 embroidery.

Quick Reply: 1 Week and 1250 Km Review