Sponsored by:

1 Week and 1250 Km Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 09:57 PM
onelio
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Thanks for the review, but how did you come up with your gear ratio calculations? Individual ratios for the GT3 are as follows:

1st 3.75
2nd 2.38
3rd 1.72
4th 1.34
5th 1.11
6th .96
7th .84
Final drive 3.97

Overall gear ratios would therefore be:

1st 14.88
2nd 9.45
3rd 6.83
4th 5.32
5th 4.40

You don't show overall calculations for gears 1-3 for the GT3 in your chart but gearing in those gears is shorter than every car listed except the 458. The calculations you do show for gears 4-5 are incorrect, and using the correct numbers the GT3 is shorter geared in 4th and 5th than all cars except, again, the 458.

The only way it would be possible to shorten the ratios further, and keep proper spacing throughout the speed range, would be to reduce top speed significantly. Admittedly this might be useful for US drivers but we have to remember this is a German car, designed for an environment where people take advantage of the upper speed ranges.
My omission - I did not have the actual gear ratios for the GT3 on hand when I did the chart - just the approximate mph in each gear. Ignore the gear ratios for the GT3.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:06 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
I'm still adhering to the break in, below 4200 rpm for 2000 long miles. I can't really tell any sound difference with the sport exhaust in the lower rev range. Do you need to be above 4200 or more rpm for any difference?
The easiest way to tell the difference is to sit at idle, especially in a garage and engage and disengage the PSE button. Or press the button while just cruising along with the window open at lower rpm. You should hear a difference in both volume and tone. If the button isn't pressed the computer will determine when to open the flaps based on rpm and throttle position.

I engage the PSE button every time I start the car. I'm perfectly happy with the way the car sounds in that mode. The only reason I blocked the vacuum lines was because I thought it would keep me from having to press the button every time. What I discovered is that the system is more sophisticated than just a switch that opens and closes the flapper valves. As soon as I bypassed the computer control of the PSE by blocking vacuum I noticed more noise but also less torque. My conclusion is that even with the PSE button engaged, there is still some modulation of back pressure by the ECU.

Porsche advertises that the sport exhaust is specifically designed to provide a bump in torque. By disconnecting that system part of what the engineers designed into the engine's performance is lost.

More than you asked for, I know....
Old 12-11-2014, 10:27 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Thank you Mike. I notice the change easily at idle on my spyder. The gt3 is less obvious.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:32 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jon70
Thank you Mike. I notice the change easily at idle on my spyder. The gt3 is less obvious.
Jon, I think that's why doing it in a garage where there is more resonance may help. There have been a few reports of sticking flapper vales so I suppose it's remotely possible that's why you can't hear a difference.....
Old 12-12-2014, 05:44 AM
mainly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

geez and i thought i was critical.

Last edited by mainly; 12-12-2014 at 06:20 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:58 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Great impressions and write-up. My only personal impression/difference is that I do not find the gear ratios to be too tall. I think they are about right for this car. The 991 C2S loaner I had certainly felt like they were way too long and not to my liking. The GT3 revs up pretty quickly which, for me, eliminates the feeling that they are too tall. But an interesting observation though
Old 12-12-2014, 06:36 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

The short gearing is all for the track. It's perfect for twisties, I just wish there was an overdrive 8th gear for freeway / fuel reduction or a 7th that was a bit longer out.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:53 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The easiest way to tell the difference is to sit at idle, especially in a garage and engage and disengage the PSE button. Or press the button while just cruising along with the window open at lower rpm. You should hear a difference in both volume and tone. If the button isn't pressed the computer will determine when to open the flaps based on rpm and throttle position.

I engage the PSE button every time I start the car. I'm perfectly happy with the way the car sounds in that mode. The only reason I blocked the vacuum lines was because I thought it would keep me from having to press the button every time. What I discovered is that the system is more sophisticated than just a switch that opens and closes the flapper valves. As soon as I bypassed the computer control of the PSE by blocking vacuum I noticed more noise but also less torque. My conclusion is that even with the PSE button engaged, there is still some modulation of back pressure by the ECU.

Porsche advertises that the sport exhaust is specifically designed to provide a bump in torque. By disconnecting that system part of what the engineers designed into the engine's performance is lost.

More than you asked for, I know....
Mike is there anyway we can wire that switch so its always on and we don have to hit the button every time we start the car up? Youd think that shouldn't be too hard. I get tired of remembering to hit the switch but like you want to drive with it on all the time...
Old 12-12-2014, 12:08 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Mike is there anyway we can wire that switch so its always on and we don have to hit the button every time we start the car up? Youd think that shouldn't be too hard. I get tired of remembering to hit the switch but like you want to drive with it on all the time...
I know someone did a hack for this for the 991 911 to make the PSE "remember" the last setting it was at before the car was shut down. I think they did it by piggybacking on the wiring setup for engine auto shutoff button, which the dealer can program (but which apparently they cannot do for the PSE).
Old 12-12-2014, 01:58 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Macca
There might be, Mark, but I'm guessing it would be more complicated than just rewiring the switch itself since the system reverts to default off mode every time the ignition is turned off even though there has been no change in the switch position. A shame. Anyway, I wouldn't know how to go about doing it.

Quick Reply: 1 Week and 1250 Km Review