California Legacy Plate Program

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 03:43 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Yeah, that part can be a problem.

You can order as many as you like, you just have to have a car at the time when you pick it up (to assign to). So just make sure you have enough cars by the time you get the notice to pick up the plates.

here in California , you must swap a newly arrived personalized plate to any one of your cars within 90 days of its arrival at the DMW or AAA or it is returned and the personalized lettering becomes available again to someone else...you cannot just pick it up and take it home ......otoh, you can remove a personaized plate from an existing car ( when you sell car or swap back to generic serial plate ) and as long as you pay an annual retention fee, you hang on the wall or keep it in a file cabinet forever or swap it onto another car any time later....currently 11-13 weeks from order to delivery for any of the 10-12 std plate design choices and 9-12 mos wait for the special black/ yellow retro one

I wanted a black / yellow retro one to end up with the exact plate and number that was on the family car that I learned to drive on 44 years ago but that is forbidden ...i.e., 3 letters followed by 3 numbers is not allowed since there are still serial plates from the 60s on the road

Last edited by MKW; 12-13-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:33 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

The other issue is that you don't know what plate will be available until after order cutoff date, so if you're isn't then youbdontbhavr the option to change again.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:07 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

They SHOULD be in the mail within the next 3 months. But the DMV has already made some excuses about how a program like this is "complicated to develop and plates take effort to manufacture."

But they add, “everything is going as planned” and people will start receiving plates in the first half of 2015.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:35 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3_racer
Cool. Thanks for the info!

I'm not sure which will look better on my inbound GT Silver GT3. But I plan to order the RS in Basalt Black. I think the black/yellow plates will definitely look best on that one.

As for the Oryx White 918, which one do you guys think would look best? Black plates or standard? I'm thinking black possibly...
Personally I think the Yellow plate on a white car with CCB's would look better than black but thats just me. Maybe someone with Photoshop can put a black and yellow plate on a white GT3 and see how it looks.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:20 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

I called dmv as I had waited until after jan 1 to order and they told me they are still accepting orders. Not sure how long that will last.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:36 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I called dmv as I had waited until after jan 1 to order and they told me they are still accepting orders. Not sure how long that will last.
Do you know if it's just the black plates or can you order the blue? I have a sapphire blue coming and thought the blue plate would look great.
If black only available do you think black plate or std white plate and red letters would work better?
PS - I have std red calipers. Txs.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:12 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
Do you know if it's just the black plates or can you order the blue? I have a sapphire blue coming and thought the blue plate would look great. If black only available do you think black plate or std white plate and red letters would work better? PS - I have std red calipers. Txs.
From what I know, only the black plates made it to the minimum required number, anyone care to fact check this?
Old 01-11-2015, 06:06 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
From what I know, only the black plates made it to the minimum required number, anyone care to fact check this?
Alex, I think you are right. The black plate is the only one that reached the min 7500 order and all other deposits will be refunded according to fine print. The link posted by OP was for pre-order and since the pre-order ended before Jan 1st, does it mean the program is over or still mail order?
Old 01-12-2015, 03:29 PM
VECCA
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Got mine ordered. Hoping it will look good on a black car.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:32 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Hmm, has anyone checked with the DMV to see if they're still taking orders though?

Their page says:
The DMV is accepting pre-orders until January 1, 2015.
But that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't taking "orders" after that date.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:44 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

I just tried to call them and after a million menu options it told me the wait time to talk to someone is "over two hours". So I hung up and went on-line and just ordered a standard plate with - IXXI GT3.
As mine is sapphire blue with red calipers I didn't think a black with yellow plate would work - even if you could order one now.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:47 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

This is just me, and my weird taste, but I think a Black with Yellow lettering plate matches every car purely on the fact that it's dripping with swagoo.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:55 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Can't find it right now but there is a guy who did a YouTube presentation on this--and also has a Facebook page. On his Facebook page someone from the DMV says that the black plate, when available, will become of the general group of specialty plates that you can order at any time.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:00 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LAGinz
Can't find it right now but there is a guy who did a YouTube presentation on this--and also has a Facebook page. On his Facebook page someone from the DMV says that the black plate, when available, will become of the general group of specialty plates that you can order at any time.
Ah, that would be perfect! I'll send in my snail mail orders, and see if they deposit the check and accept them.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:16 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
I just tried to call them and after a million menu options it told me the wait time to talk to someone is "over two hours". So I hung up and went on-line and just ordered a standard plate with - IXXI GT3. As mine is sapphire blue with red calipers I didn't think a black with yellow plate would work - even if you could order one now.
I used their simple "call back" option and didn't wait. Dmv called me back and let me know that we can still order the black plates even though it's after jan 1st, and they should be delivered in about 3 months. I hope my DAB OPPO is accepted

Quick Reply: California Legacy Plate Program