Save Chris Harris

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 09:54 PM
kon5t
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Who cares?

More often than not the people you see on the Internet, the movies, TV, radio, etc. are not very nice people, and some of them are just bad people. But you wouldn't know it because you don't meet, engage with, or come in contact with most of them on a regular basis.

For people like Chris Harris -- or other pseudo celebrity Internet journalists -- watch them for the content they produce on camera, not for the type of person they are off camera.
Good question, who cares indeed, possibly not the people who fund a journalist when he asks them for their money, whilst calming driving around in his expensive supercars
Old 12-05-2014, 10:02 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I think that one can selfishly donate money to Chris Harris, purely to keep him offering content that nobody else offers. Both from the level of monologue, to the opinions expressed, to let's face it, the level of driving and access he has to vehicles. Whether he is a nice person or not I will never know, but he is in a league above almost everybody else in his field.

Something else which I think we need to remember, not everybody is having a great day where they feel like being sociable every single day. Can you imagine what it is like being a recognizable person, where every gearhead in the world wants to walk up toand have a conversation? ****, I'm not even sociable after the second pointless conversation somebody has with me about my custom motorcycles… I can't imagine being at the track or anywhere else where I am relatively focused and having others want to interact with me. I make no judgments about what other people have experienced with him, just putting myself in his shoes and thinking that I would be the biggest ******* anybody's ever met in person.

I think we should just focus on his talents, and pay for his talents. Don't think of it likeyou're paying him, think of it like for once you're not paying the machine so you'll get the honest truth.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:37 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Heres a question for teh American audience. For 20 years I have been subscribing to British motor magazines and enzimes. Mags like Performance car (later EVO), 911 Porsche World, Octane etc. My favourite joruno being guys who generally can drive like Jethro Bovington (an all out nice guy from what Ive been told), Suttcliff, Harris and also some intellectuals like the famous and now departed JK Sethright.

Could someone point me to world class US motor journalists and publications in the same vein as the above? I used to read Anderson many years ago. The last decade Ive really struggled to find something from Notrh Amercia to subscribe to even though the cost of annual subscriptions is ridiculously cheap in the USA. Id like to find some quality journalism I can subscribe to?

Or maybe I dump them all and just read more on here. Afterall this is the pointy end of the stick and there are some great amateur scribes in our midst around here too :-)
Check out Sam Smith and Ezra Dyer. Both good writers and very fun to read, in a Peter Egan-type style. Smith started as a columnist for Roundel, the BMWCCA mag, and is now executive editor at R&T, and Dyer moved from Automobile to C/D. They both have done freelance stuff as well. Not Chris Harris or Jethro B stuff, but still very good.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:21 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,781 Likes on 4,774 Posts

Originally Posted by kon5t
Good question, who cares indeed, possibly not the people who fund a journalist when he asks them for their money, whilst calming driving around in his expensive supercars
I have no doubt you're absolutely certain everyone involved with building your Porsche at PAG is a completely upstanding individual in all respect.

Rest easy at night.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:31 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,781 Likes on 4,774 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Heres a question for teh American audience. For 20 years I have been subscribing to British motor magazines and enzimes. Mags like Performance car (later EVO), 911 Porsche World, Octane etc. My favourite joruno being guys who generally can drive like Jethro Bovington (an all out nice guy from what Ive been told), Suttcliff, Harris and also some intellectuals like the famous and now departed JK Sethright.

Could someone point me to world class US motor journalists and publications in the same vein as the above? I used to read Anderson many years ago. The last decade Ive really struggled to find something from Notrh Amercia to subscribe to even though the cost of annual subscriptions is ridiculously cheap in the USA. Id like to find some quality journalism I can subscribe to?

Dan Neil of WSJ
http://online.wsj.com/articles/porsc...ful-1409940145
Old 12-06-2014, 03:57 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

C. Harris=Truth.

If he tells you to go F yourself he is probably right in doing so.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:18 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Drive + was a disaster and I paid.

I really wondered WTF he went...

Met Chris Harris at Sebring and was nice enough to hang out with us, drive an RS at Sebring and was fast.
Seemed one of us guys but with so many people hovering over you that "know" you, there is only so much you can talk about at one time. I may annoyed him a little trying to follow him around Sebring if it wasn't for me being unable to keep up. He backed up his enthusiasm for the GT3DE Cup with buying a 4.0.

Now he's back and he like to make money like the rest of us.

I really look forward to watch his reviews and under this pressure of late, I hope he keeps it honest and doesn't just scream in the microphone.
Ferrari comes to mind and his general honest approach is what won me over. Oh and the only other person I share enough stupidity with to sell a 4.0 before they shot up.

Id like to say that I will see how he does before I pay again but truth is I cant wait for his tests and would pay the subscription. Just beat the crap out of a car a week, test it against similar cars and tell us what's what!
Old 12-06-2014, 04:21 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

^
+1
Old 12-06-2014, 07:08 AM
Vetsky
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I enjoyed that. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:18 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Underscoring Macca and CAlexio's rather valid observations on English motoring journalists capabilities....

the ensuing piece from Henry Catchpole for Evo struck as considered, erudite....and as a result just a level above in terms of signal...

the best British motoring journos use language to evoke/reflect/parse and convey the human experience within a car...manifestly better than anyone else in the Anglosphere.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:38 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
Selling that for a mediocre old Ferrari tells you he doesn't always make the wisest decisions.
Or that Ferrari FF he bought this year too. Might as well abandon that as as it doesn't help his net worth's depreciation expense account!

He'll do just fine it's just finding "your niche" among this NEW media.

Besides, how much was he making doing what he was doing before?

Off topic, I wonder if that Ferrari FF Is intended for Daily Driving? Which happens to be the great Crux for that company.

Last edited by Tacet-Conundrum; 12-06-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:39 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

And, I just received an email that Patreon had a data breach. I just sent an email to delete my account and pledge.

delete@patreon.com

In addition, since you can't seem to delete your account except via email, I deleted my PayPal account information from the Patreon site.

In deleting my account, the one good thing I noticed was my email was sent via iCloud instead of via Gmail despite Gmail being set to default. That is so annoying, I shut that down too - no more association of iCloud with my mail services.

Dan (wakes up annoyed)
Old 10-01-2015, 12:13 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Received that email also... Have we been getting charged by patreon this whole time.. I guess I wasn't watching. Argh!!! Data breaches for accounts which syphon money and no product is.... THE WORST

Quick Reply: Save Chris Harris