Sponsored by:

Save Chris Harris

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 03:08 AM
kon5t
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
Look, if you want to start an I hate Chris Harris thread, be my guest. I'd appreciate your leaving this one be. Thank you.
OH nice one, personal attack and then you want me to leave it, are you some special kind of retard?

I will however honour your request, as this ******* is a bit bigger than that apparently.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:09 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kon5t
Having met him on more than one occasion, when he was racing/track-daying at the Nuerburgring a few years back, and him coming away as a complete arrogant ****, it is not likely he will ever see a penny from me.

Someone should tell him that just because he is a jurno, he has no right to ask anyone to "move it", out of their pit lane, just because he is writing an article, or thinks he is some kind of god. in fact a quick reminder that manners cost nothing, and threatening people really doesn't work either in the public domain would go a long way. This type of entitlement pisses me off all day long, and he almost got a slap for it at the time, him and his two bit rent-a-friends. An opportunity I sadly missed, but will make sure to catch up on next time.

BTW, he also ran out of fuel two times that day, whilst on track, causing 30+ minute track closures for everyone concerned. Did he apologize when I pulled him over about it at Pistenklause that night? No, he told me to **** off. Apparently karma is a bitch that just keeps on giving.

I find it funny and laudable that he is not having money issues, and will make sure all the forums are aware of his previous behaviour.
Very interesting POV. Having never met the man nor spent time in his company I am not qualified to really comment on your points. Some of what you say would not surprise me. Being a good writer/journo in the Uk is/was somewhat a middle class academic type of thing. I have some friends I went to Varsity with in "the trade" and they unfortunately come across as arrogant and self important at times. Its only because I know them "from way back" that I think they tone it down a bit around me but I still get the feeling at times Im an inferior intellect around them (and I probably am but I dont struggle to make the rent LOL!). Maybe you have to be a bit ballsey and full of yourself to make it in that profession, or perhaps its a side trait of the creative writing side of the brain...who knows.

All that aside, CH is good for the industry and good for us Performance Car enthusiasts in general I feel. Perhaps after your email, unlike before, I now dont feel the need to meet the man, but regardless I think hes good at his craft and although I dont learn as much about the vehicles as I do say on this board, I still find his brand of journalism highly entertaining and worthy of subscribing to. He calls a "spade a spade" as we say in this part of the world and I find that refreshing after reading clinically politically correct retoric from other international motor scribes who clearly have auto manufacturers support on their mind when they report.

Heres a question for teh American audience. For 20 years I have been subscribing to British motor magazines and enzimes. Mags like Performance car (later EVO), 911 Porsche World, Octane etc. My favourite joruno being guys who generally can drive like Jethro Bovington (an all out nice guy from what Ive been told), Suttcliff, Harris and also some intellectuals like the famous and now departed JK Sethright.

Could someone point me to world class US motor journalists and publications in the same vein as the above? I used to read Anderson many years ago. The last decade Ive really struggled to find something from Notrh Amercia to subscribe to even though the cost of annual subscriptions is ridiculously cheap in the USA. Id like to find some quality journalism I can subscribe to?

Or maybe I dump them all and just read more on here. Afterall this is the pointy end of the stick and there are some great amateur scribes in our midst around here too :-)
Old 12-05-2014, 03:13 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by kon5t
OH nice one, personal attack and then you want me to leave it, are you some special kind of retard?

I will however honour your request, as this ******* is a bit bigger than that apparently.
Thank you.

Dan (has been retarded specially since the 60s )
Old 12-05-2014, 03:19 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh. Things moved on since I was writing my post!

Yes Dan. Lets carry on here like before. Im not really concerned if Chris is a homophobic heathen who likes keeping mice as pets and wears high heels and pink lace panties whist he cooks in the evening dinner. Its not really what we are talking about here....
Old 12-05-2014, 03:31 AM
rayng
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've subscribed for $5/month. i love his videos and articles. great car guy.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:49 AM
Fadi1
Pro

I could see that CH could be intense at time. But I enjoy his work and passion. No one is perfect. I'm in
Old 12-05-2014, 09:59 AM
cingulus
Racer

I made my pledge and subscribed. I love his videos.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:08 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Heres a question for teh American audience. For 20 years I have been subscribing to British motor magazines and enzimes. Mags like Performance car (later EVO), 911 Porsche World, Octane etc. My favourite joruno being guys who generally can drive like Jethro Bovington (an all out nice guy from what Ive been told), Suttcliff, Harris and also some intellectuals like the famous and now departed JK Sethright.

Could someone point me to world class US motor journalists and publications in the same vein as the above? I used to read Anderson many years ago. The last decade Ive really struggled to find something from Notrh Amercia to subscribe to even though the cost of annual subscriptions is ridiculously cheap in the USA. Id like to find some quality journalism I can subscribe to?

Or maybe I dump them all and just read more on here. Afterall this is the pointy end of the stick and there are some great amateur scribes in our midst around here too :-)
I've been trying various US magazines without a lot of success, I think I have 5 or 6 active US subscriptions, but none I think come near the standard set by the UK. Most cost $5 to $10 a year and rely heavily on advertising revenue.

Motortrend might be my favorite of the bunch because of Randy, but I still have 5 or 6 UK subscriptions that I read rather than flick through before they get thrown out.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:46 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

As far as US video journalists on YouTube, Macca is right that there aren't many good ones at all. The only people that are good are with Motortrend. I think Carlos Lago is good and continues to get better. Randy Pobst is a very valuable asset to motortrend as well (probably most valuable). Jessi Lang did a great job as well. Lieberman? Not so good.

Last edited by orthojoe; 12-05-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:12 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

...Could someone point me to world class US motor journalists and publications in the same vein as the above? I used to read Anderson many years ago. The last decade Ive really struggled to find something from Notrh Amercia to subscribe to even though the cost of annual subscriptions is ridiculously cheap in the USA. Id like to find some quality journalism I can subscribe to?
100% Pete Stout!

He made years and years of past Excellence Magazine issues some of my most treasured readings. His move to Porsche Panorama caused me to join PCA, just to get the monthly magazine.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:33 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
100% Pete Stout!

He made years and years of past Excellence Magazine issues some of my most treasured readings. His move to Porsche Panorama caused me to join PCA, just to get the monthly magazine.
Of course! I was referring to youtube/video journalists, though.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:39 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lago is definately improving the other guys are hipsters.
Michael Spinelli is pretty good except i think better behind the camera.
The Brits are best tho.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:02 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Oh. Things moved on since I was writing my post! Yes Dan. Lets carry on here like before. Im not really concerned if Chris is a homophobic heathen who likes keeping mice as pets and wears high heels and pink lace panties whist he cooks in the evening dinner. Its not really what we are talking about here....
But it would be a lot cooler if he really was this no? LOL.

Regarding your comment on the low quality of auto related writing in the US. I agree with you, nothing even comes close… The only magazines to me worth subscribing to are in fact Evo and octane.

I have towonder if it is it's having to do with the greater mastery and complexity of the British language, compared to the dumbed down American version. Exceptional turn of phrase, use of metaphors, and overall focus on driving sensation rather than facts, makes a British magazine vastly more interesting if not informative to read than the US magazines which are solely focused on facts and figures. I have foundthat in the past few years, after the old guard of editors faded away, that the US magazines have improved somewhat, but Harris, Sutcliffe, and the evo crew are now in a different league altogether.

Nowhere is this more evident than in a recent video I saw with Chris Harris and the guy from the smoking tire. in the same video, you were able to juxtapose their narrative and descriptive styles. Without even meaning to, Chris was running circles around Matt Farah, whose language in comparison is barely more than a few monosyllabic words versus Chris's extensive and expressive narrative. I couldn't help but think that basic differentiation in schooling had to do with this, not to mention the needs to appeal to a more discerning worldwide audience In Chris's part, versus Matt's focus on the more basic brain of the American male. I call it the "'Murica- **** yea!!!" Syndrome.

Hopefully the strong delta between the US and other anglo countries exists more prominently on the literary/grammatical side of the spectrum… Maybe in math and science or other more scientific areas it's a different story?
Old 12-05-2014, 12:03 PM
alaint101
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

If you have 10 minutes read this true story he wrote. Its just had me in stitches all afternoon...

http://jalopnik.com/a-ferrari-a-pors...ium=socialflow
He sharted...
Old 12-05-2014, 12:59 PM
DuckieRS
Instructor

Been around mr. Harris a few times ('Ring / Goodwood FoS / ...). Although distant at times he was always friendly to me. Henry Catchpole is easier to approach.

Quick Reply: Save Chris Harris