Sponsored by:

Front Axle Lift Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 02:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 166 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by RUF RS
The hydraulic pump is broken, and there are NONE in the USA, and apparently NONE in Germany. 8 days out, no part, no car. And yes, I've contacted PCNA to complain....
RUF RS, are they actually telling you that it's the "hydraulic pump" and using those words? Because the system is electro-pneumatic and uses an air compressor; it doesn't work off of hydraulics. Not that that helps your situation......
Originally Posted by rwcsn1
I read in the manual that when the car is parked you cannot leave the lift in suspended mode (up) for an extended period of time b/c that can cause undue pressure and harm to the lift. Could that be a cause in your case?
Respectfully, that's not exactly what it says. It's not a matter of damaging the system with undue pressure. Rather, if left lifted for a long time (days) pressure will eventually bleed out of the system and the front will lower. If you're parked over something solid when that happens the car could be damaged.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:58 PM
RUF RS
Burning Brakes

Received 328 Likes on 165 Posts

I read in the manual that when the car is parked you cannot leave the lift in suspended mode (up) for an extended period of time b/c that can cause undue pressure and harm to the lift. Could that be a cause in your case?
Doubtful.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:01 PM
RUF RS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
RUF RS, are they actually telling you that it's the "hydraulic pump" and using those words? Because the system is electro-pneumatic and uses an air compressor; it doesn't work off of hydraulics. Not that that helps your situation......
Mike, actually...you are correct. I keep saying 'hydraulic'...but their exact words were/are "compressor for Front lift.' So it's me that keeps misspeaking, not the dealer. Nonetheless as you say, not that it helps....
Of course I contacted PCNA on a Friday afternoon....right about when everybody was gone from factory in Germany. I will keep everybody posted....
Old 12-07-2014, 09:23 AM
rwcsn1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Respectfully, that's not exactly what it says. It's not a matter of damaging the system with undue pressure. Rather, if left lifted for a long time (days) pressure will eventually bleed out of the system and the front will lower. If you're parked over something solid when that happens the car could be damaged.
Here's exactly what the manual (p. 145) states:

Notice. Risk of damage through uncontrolled lowering of the front axel at engine standstill. In this particular system, the retaining position cannot be maintained in the upper position for an extended period without active replenishing of the pressure accumulator or engine operation. Always park the vehicle in the lowered position

That seems clear to me that there is risk of damage to the lift itself, not from being parked over something. One paragraph later, there is another "Notice". Risk of damage through bottoming of vehicle. Do not lower the vehicle when it is positioned above an obstacle

It would be nice to not have to remember to lower the lift each time parked, but this does seem to be what the manual is suggesting.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:37 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 457 Likes on 253 Posts

I agree with Mike, the system shouldn't be risking damage if it is left up, the car is risking damage is it is parked over something. You can raise the air system on my S6 too, but it will bleed off pressure over time and drop the car. You want the car parked in the lowest position so that there is no potential for damage on the car if it were to drop on a curb, etc.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:30 PM
wwlee
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
I agree with Mike, the system shouldn't be risking damage if it is left up, the car is risking damage is it is parked over something. You can raise the air system on my S6 too, but it will bleed off pressure over time and drop the car. You want the car parked in the lowest position so that there is no potential for damage on the car if it were to drop on a curb, etc.
Saw a few 3's at various dealerships in the nyc metro area last summer and they were all parked with the lift engaged.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Here's exactly what the manual (p. 145) states:

Notice. Risk of damage through uncontrolled lowering of the front axel at engine standstill. In this particular system, the retaining position cannot be maintained in the upper position for an extended period without active replenishing of the pressure accumulator or engine operation. Always park the vehicle in the lowered position

That seems clear to me that there is risk of damage to the lift itself, not from being parked over something. One paragraph later, there is another "Notice". Risk of damage through bottoming of vehicle. Do not lower the vehicle when it is positioned above an obstacle

It would be nice to not have to remember to lower the lift each time parked, but this does seem to be what the manual is suggesting.
We'll just have to disagree on the interpretation of the manual. I'm certain Porsche would not design the system in such a way that actual damage to the lift itself could occur if inadvertently left raised. The two paragraphs you quote aren't mutually exclusive. One describes what happens, and the other describes why the result could be bad. That's the way I read it.

All that does happen is that air eventually leaks out, the reservoir (pressure accumulator) can no longer maintain adequate pressure without the compressor kicking in, and the car slowly drops. This won't damage the system but the car itself, or whatever is under it, could suffer damage.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:44 PM
RUF RS
Burning Brakes

We'll just have to disagree on the interpretation of the manual. I'm certain Porsche would not design the system in such a way that actual damage to the lift itself could occur if inadvertently left raised. The two paragraphs you quote aren't mutually exclusive. One describes what happens, and the other describes why the result could be bad. That's the way I read it.

All that does happen is that air eventually leaks out, the reservoir (pressure accumulator) can no longer maintain adequate pressure without the compressor kicking in, and the car slowly drops. This won't damage the system but the car itself, or whatever is under it, could suffer damage.
+1, that is exactly how I interpret it.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:44 PM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RUF RS, you can't drive the car without the lift being operable until the part arrives?
Old 12-07-2014, 09:24 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 1pvr
RUF RS, you can't drive the car without the lift being operable until the part arrives?
Shush!

Dan (is selfish and wants to see a 72 Carerra RS next weekend! )
Old 12-07-2014, 10:52 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,123 Posts

All these lift threads remind me of the exact same topic in the 997 forum. Many, many issues. Guess they didn't get it right yet...
Old 12-07-2014, 11:21 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1pvr
That was my thought unless he needs it for his driveway. If not, I would drive the car and live on the dark side (non-lifter people) for a bit....
Old 12-07-2014, 11:35 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by rockitman
That was my thought unless he needs it for his driveway. If not, I would drive the car and live on the dark side (non-lifter people) for a bit....
I think that's what RUF RS posted earlier. Since he couldn't get up his own driveway without the lift, and didn't want to park the car on the street, he decided to leave it at the dealer waiting for parts. Hope I got that right.....
Old 12-07-2014, 11:52 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that's what RUF RS posted earlier. Since he couldn't get up his own driveway without the lift, and didn't want to park the car on the street, he decided to leave it at the dealer waiting for parts. Hope I got that right.....
You are correct...my memory grows short....
Hi Macca, yes, car can be driven NO problem...EXCEPT getting in and out of my driveway is impossible, and not wanting to leave it on the street in front of my house...I left it at the dealer, awaiting the new part.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:58 AM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahhh...must have missed that reason. Sorry.

Quick Reply: Front Axle Lift Malfunction