Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Level Above Max

Old 11-28-2014, 11:35 AM
swivelhi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Level Above Max

I had 500 miles on my car and took an oil reading that indicated approximately a little less than a half quart low (40%). Put a small amount of oil in to fill to top level. Drove the car another 150 mi. and took 3 readings that showed a perfect top off to the top level. The next time I took a reading after a nice drive and the warning message on the MFD read Oil level above max consult workshop Driving permitted. Do you think I need to take it right in to service and have them remove the excess oil immediately or drive awhile and naturally burn it off. I know it can't be excessive and it read fine for 150 miles or so before the message appeared.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:36 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

The yellow warning, right? Don't worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 11-28-2014, 01:08 PM
quickshift
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was preparing for a DE day, carefully topped to near max, everything in green, drove 3 sessions in light rain ( not pushing too hard), everything in green. Got home ( 70 mile drive) stopped at fast food place, checked oil while idling , got yellow msg above max, OK to drive on. 200 miles later still getting yellow msg.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:00 PM
snabbgt3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Topped off GT3 after a two-day track session with a full quart (perhaps a bit much, although level was at low end of scale) ... had the yellow light on/off for several days ... IMO it's a non-issue. Plan to top off with 1/2 quart or less in future ...
Old 11-28-2014, 06:11 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had this happen as well, when I added oil and repeat check showed level to be OK, only to go to yellow warning later. Burnt it off at the next track day. I also added oil one time, where I calculated 250 needed to go up two notches (4 notches=500 mL, per new sticker) and it went up one notch only. I should have stoppedd there but I thought to myself "trust technology not your math" sooo, I added another 100-125 mL and sure enough, got the yellow warning. As long as it says "OK to drive on", I keep driving. However, I have hence bought a vacuum oil extractor from Amazon, in case I ever get a "not OK" light.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:33 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I had this happen as well, when I added oil and repeat check showed level to be OK, only to go to yellow warning later. Burnt it off at the next track day. I also added oil one time, where I calculated 250 needed to go up two notches (4 notches=500 mL, per new sticker) and it went up one notch only. I should have stoppedd there but I thought to myself "trust technology not your math" sooo, I added another 100-125 mL and sure enough, got the yellow warning. As long as it says "OK to drive on", I keep driving. However, I have hence bought a vacuum oil extractor from Amazon, in case I ever get a "not OK" light.
do you have a link for that oil siphon ?
Old 11-28-2014, 06:37 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I am becoming and GT3 Prepper. My car is not here till the end of January and I have already ordered jackpoint Jack stands, a lift that fits with the jackpoints, sharwerks tips and 3rd muff bypass, flexible claw grip for crap stuck inside the front bumper and I will be ordering the precision instruments 3/4 inch split beam torque wrench and removable head for the CL's. I know a siphon would come in handy at some point....I think I will start a thread on the subject.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:09 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
do you have a link for that oil siphon ?
Originally Posted by rockitman
I think I am becoming and GT3 Prepper. My car is not here till the end of January and I have already ordered jackpoint Jack stands, a lift that fits with the jackpoints, sharwerks tips and 3rd muff bypass, flexible claw grip for crap stuck inside the front bumper and I will be ordering the precision instruments 3/4 inch split beam torque wrench and removable head for the CL's. I know a siphon would come in handy at some point....I think I will start a thread on the subject.
The link is below, I went by the ratings. I don't think you are a pepper. It's a fact. She's well worth the prep, though.

Amazon.com: Hydro-Turf Oil Extractor 6-Liter OIL01: Automotive Amazon.com: Hydro-Turf Oil Extractor 6-Liter OIL01: Automotive
Old 11-28-2014, 10:01 PM
NMM991
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info - same thing happened to me, this is my fourth car with this setup and the first time.it ever happened to me. It was all green then went yellow a week later. GT3 may react differently, more sensitive to oil level at the upper limit?
Old 11-29-2014, 01:59 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This seems to be an issue with these engines. I have a 2012 997S Cab and it does the same thing.
I don't think there really is a lot of extra oil and it shouldn't be a problem. On my next oil change which will be in the fall I'm going to leave it a notch or two low for a few days. I really miss a dip stick!
Old 11-29-2014, 02:43 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveFromMN
This seems to be an issue with these engines. I have a 2012 997S Cab and it does the same thing.
I don't think there really is a lot of extra oil and it shouldn't be a problem. On my next oil change which will be in the fall I'm going to leave it a notch or two low for a few days. I really miss a dip stick!

I prefer the dip stick as well.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:42 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,735 Likes on 2,170 Posts

I'd remove the excess oil. Too much oil can cause significant damage to the engine.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:59 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Manifold
I'd remove the excess oil. Too much oil can cause significant damage to the engine.
Not necessary with the yellow warning. Only the red warning (and do not drive).

Old 11-29-2014, 04:01 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,735 Likes on 2,170 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Not necessary with the yellow warning. Only the red warning (and do not drive).

Basis? And why not heed the yellow warning, instead of taking a chance, especially if the car will be tracked or otherwise driven hard?
Old 11-29-2014, 04:15 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Manifold
Basis? And why not heed the yellow warning, instead of taking a chance, especially if the car will be tracked or otherwise driven hard?
The manual and the MFD both say "ok to drive". With the yellow warning, it's about 200-400 mls over and only once the oil temp exceeds about 215 degrees.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Level Above Max