Sponsored by:

should I break in? Picking her up in few hours

Old 11-27-2014, 07:33 PM
GT3991
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should I break in? Picking her up in few hours

Hey guys,

Finally, I am picking her up. Should I break in the engine? I have no clue how long I will keep the car until I drive it away from dealership. Anyone?!?!
Old 11-27-2014, 08:07 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

I gave it about 250 miles, and then drove like I normally would. For some reason, I felt like holding off on launch control was a good idea until my first oil change. I'll do it this weekend. I'm at 1,200 miles.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:15 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
I gave it about 250 miles, and then drove like I normally would. For some reason, I felt like holding off on launch control was a good idea until my first oil change. I'll do it this weekend. I'm at 1,200 miles.
Same for me I went about 250 also basically a tank of gas, and after that 9k for me no problems. Have not done launch control yet, and 1000k all in I will try it. Will drive it through the GA mountains this weekend so should take up about another 250 to my current 550. Outstanding performance car.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:22 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Seating the rings requires lots of full throttle accelerations. The window for doing this is the first 20 to 200 miles. After that it doesn't matter what you do. In other words, what you really want to do is pretty much the opposite of the official party line. The key to reconciling this apparent conflict is in a quote one RL'er got from the factory when taking ED earlier this year: "for our American customers we must recommend a break-in. For everyone else drive it as you normally would: careful when cold THEN FLAT-OUT."
Old 11-27-2014, 09:22 PM
SunnySD
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Seating the rings requires lots of full throttle accelerations. The window for doing this is the first 20 to 200 miles. After that it doesn't matter what you do. In other words, what you really want to do is pretty much the opposite of the official party line. The key to reconciling this apparent conflict is in a quote one RL'er got from the factory when taking ED earlier this year: "for our American customers we must recommend a break-in. For everyone else drive it as you normally would: careful when cold THEN FLAT-OUT."
Can our euro friends confirm this?
Old 11-27-2014, 11:25 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Heh heh
Kool

He said break in...

Official break in procedure,

Leave ,
Drive to hi way, play with buttons enroute...

Turn onto entry ramp,

(This next part is very very important so pay close attention.)

Disclaimer:
Failure to disregard the following instructions may involuntarily obfuscate additional queries heretofore not footnoted in the nonreferenced lack of official documentation....

Make sure you have plenty of room, more than you could ever imagine.

Press throttle to the floor and count to 9...
Thousand rpm that is...

Do it again

And again

Next week, proper track setup and prep for...
Old 11-27-2014, 11:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

This subject has been beaten to death in dozens of threads and you'll get answers from one end other spectrum to the other....

Just pose yourself this scenario. You're getting ready to buy a used 2015 GT3 in a couple of years. You have a choice between 2 cars identical in every way; options, color, mileage, price, everything.

One owner tells you he drove his car like he stole it, right off the dealer's lot. Ran it to redline at the first on ramp he saw, headed for the track.

The other owner followed a reasonable (say, 750-1000 miles) break-in schedule and even did a post break-in oil change before seeing his first 9K redline.

Which car are you more inclined to buy and keep as a long term acquisition? Answer this question honestly, and you'll also have the answer to your break-in question.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:15 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

So subjective.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:31 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

I agree with Mike. Check out the oil report on my 11 GTS. Never hit redline before 2000 mi. The car never used oil and never smoked. Absolutely no problems. Sold at 24000 mi.

I'll add the file later.

Last edited by Alan C.; 11-28-2014 at 01:04 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:51 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
The key to reconciling this apparent conflict is in a quote one RL'er got from the factory when taking ED earlier this year: "for our American customers we must recommend a break-in. For everyone else drive it as you normally would: careful when cold THEN FLAT-OUT."
This was essential what I was told by a factory engineer when I picked mine up almost 1 year ago today...told me to vary revs, keep below 7000 and not run high rpm with cold engine for he first tank then enjoy the car as I intended to drive it thereafter. He pointed to a car park full of PAG employee cars when I mentioned 2000 mile run ins and explained those cars get driven on the autobahn the day the staffer leaves work with them fresh from production. You have to admit anyone taking ED in Stuttgart (not the worlds most beautiful city) is going to be entering the autobahn network within a few minutes and will undoubtedly want to at least experience their new car above 7000 rpm within fairly short order!

Mike is right this subject is done to death. each to their own!
Old 11-28-2014, 01:08 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

These guys tend to know something:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...k-in-a-new-car

I had a 03 Z before my 08. The 03 was broken in with easy driving for the first 3k miles before I redlined to set rings. And, its engine was replaced due to excessive oil consumption. Once replaced, I drove the newly replaced engine like I stole it and, that new engine never had consumption issues. I did the same with my 08 when I got that new and, no issues.

I wasn't sure if I was going to break in the GT3 until today. I'm going with warmed up motor followed by some driving around Pasadena and then a 9k freeway on-ramp. Vary speeds until 1st oil change and drive her like I usually do. Sane in traffic, fast when not.

One thing I am not going to do is break in the car to tell the next buyer I did so when I sell the car. I'm going with this car is not being sold and I don't care about a next buyer that may never exist or may never ask me, "how did you break in the car?"

Dan (trusts Porsche warranty)
Old 11-28-2014, 01:25 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dan. 3K miles is alot of life's opportunities missed. If you spent 3000 miles (like some on here have claimed they will do) taking it easy and sell the car at 20K miles you have spent 15% of your time not getting the full benefit of that wonderful motor. Lifes short Carpe Diem!
Old 11-28-2014, 02:01 AM
JP Schnegg
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

This subject has been beaten to death in dozens of threads and you'll get answers from one end other spectrum to the other....

Just pose yourself this scenario. You're getting ready to buy a used 2015 GT3 in a couple of years. You have a choice between 2 cars identical in every way; options, color, mileage, price, everything.

One owner tells you he drove his car like he stole it, right off the dealer's lot. Ran it to redline at the first on ramp he saw, headed for the track.

The other owner followed a reasonable (say, 750-1000 miles) break-in schedule and even did a post break-in oil change before seeing his first 9K redline.

Which car are you more inclined to buy and keep as a long term acquisition? Answer this question honestly, and you'll also have the answer to your break-in question.

Such a statement that make sense! Agree
Old 11-28-2014, 02:04 AM
JP Schnegg
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

A statement that make sense Mike! Agree
Old 11-28-2014, 02:05 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,727 Likes on 4,760 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

At that point if that happened to me, I'd forget about buying a used GT3.

I'd run out and buy lottery tickets. The odds of winning the lottery have to be at least on the factor of 10x better than finding two identical GT3s in every way described above.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: should I break in? Picking her up in few hours