Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should I break in? Picking her up in few hours

Old 11-28-2014, 08:46 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This thread is so funny.

So what does the USA manual say about break in for a standard 991 Carrera S? Surely if the article (which has been pasted into previous engine break in threads on this board already) is correct its 2000 miles?

So why does the manual for every other country in the world state nothing about the 4000 rpm?

Doesnt that make you curious. Plus two of us taking ED on here have been given different information from the factory.

Each to their own. If you have the patience to drive this wonderful machine at 40% of its rpm capability for most likely 10% of the ownership miles youll end up putting on the car then you are a paradigm of patience and good on you.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:09 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Good luck keeping the rpm's down. Not an easy thing to do. Especially when a tunnel taunts you on your way home from the dealership...😈
Old 11-28-2014, 09:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
So why does the manual for every other country in the world state nothing about the 4000 rpm?
Macca, that's what I've been trying to find out. Exactly, what DOES the manual say ROW? Anything about break-in at all?

Doesnt that make you curious. Plus two of us taking ED on here have been given different information from the factory.
For me, this is the problem. I have to balance what makes sense to me, and what I've done all my car-owning life, with all of the different sources of information. When I did tourist delivery I was also told that, apart from being sure to vary RPM, it was ok to push the car hard because "that's how we Germans drive on the Autobahn". So do I follow the advice in my owner's manual and from the Porsche engineer who gave such a rational explanation (to my mind) in the article that was just posted, or the guy who's handing out cars to customers at the delivery center?

There's lots of info out there, much of conflicting, and most of it anecdotal rather than scientific. On top of that, some of that info encourages behavior that's inconvenient, like having to drive your new GT3 slowly for some period of time. As has been pointed out, every person has to evaluate their own personal situation and plans for the car, take all the information, and make a decision on how to break-in their new $150K toy. For example, if you're only keeping the car for a couple of years you might reach a different conclusion than if you plan to be a long term owner.

I believe that, long term, an engine benefits from a moderate break-in for the reasons stated in that article. I plan to keep my car a long time so for me, the course of action was clear. For someone else, their mileage may vary.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:00 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

This thread is so funny.

So what does the USA manual say about break in for a standard 991 Carrera S? Surely if the article (which has been pasted into previous engine break in threads on this board already) is correct its 2000 miles?

Each to their own. If you have the patience to drive this wonderful machine at 40% of its rpm capability for most likely 10% of the ownership miles youll end up putting on the car then you are a paradigm of patience and good on you.
The Brits talk about it here:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...eally%3F&mid=0
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1330172

It's not clear, at one point it sounds like they have different guidelines, elsewhere, it sounds like they have the same.

Macan UK reference running in as opposed to breaking in and cite the same article.

http://www.macanownersclub.co.uk/for...630_page1.html

Upon further search, I also found it referenced here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7068...tructions.html

Dan (should call Chris Harris and find out what ROW manual says )
Old 11-28-2014, 10:02 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Check posts 16 and 23 here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...-period-2.html

Aren't those the UK and US manual sections for running in?

Ryan
Old 11-28-2014, 10:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by reidry
Check posts 16 and 23 here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...-period-2.html

Aren't those the UK and US manual sections for running in?

Ryan
So not a big difference, despite the repeated references to how break-in only applies in the US. Yes, the UK manual doesn't specifically mention 4200 RPM, but it does mention no driving or track events where full throttle/high rpm use is a given. It also doesn't mention not lugging the engine or causing it to labor which we can all agree (I think) isn't good to do...

The US warranty is twice as long as in the UK. Maybe that's one reason why Porsche is a little more picky and specific about suggesting how cars here in the US are broken in.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:56 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,727 Likes on 4,760 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The US warranty is twice as long as in the UK. Maybe that's one reason why Porsche is a little more picky and specific about suggesting how cars here in the US are broken in.
Nail meet head. Time to be hit.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:22 PM
kon5t
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SunnySD
Can our euro friends confirm this?
consider it confirmed
Old 11-28-2014, 11:24 PM
kon5t
Instructor

This subject has been beaten to death in dozens of threads and you'll get answers from one end other spectrum to the other....

Just pose yourself this scenario. You're getting ready to buy a used 2015 GT3 in a couple of years. You have a choice between 2 cars identical in every way; options, color, mileage, price, everything.

One owner tells you he drove his car like he stole it, right off the dealer's lot. Ran it to redline at the first on ramp he saw, headed for the track.

The other owner followed a reasonable (say, 750-1000 miles) break-in schedule and even did a post break-in oil change before seeing his first 9K redline.

Which car are you more inclined to buy and keep as a long term acquisition? Answer this question honestly, and you'll also have the answer to your break-in question.
frankly, the former will produce more power. I will buy the one that feels best/quickest/etc
Old 11-28-2014, 11:30 PM
kon5t
Instructor

Originally Posted by hfm
These guys tend to know something:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...k-in-a-new-car

I had a 03 Z before my 08. The 03 was broken in with easy driving for the first 3k miles before I redlined to set rings. And, its engine was replaced due to excessive oil consumption. Once replaced, I drove the newly replaced engine like I stole it and, that new engine never had consumption issues. I did the same with my 08 when I got that new and, no issues.

I wasn't sure if I was going to break in the GT3 until today. I'm going with warmed up motor followed by some driving around Pasadena and then a 9k freeway on-ramp. Vary speeds until 1st oil change and drive her like I usually do. Sane in traffic, fast when not.

One thing I am not going to do is break in the car to tell the next buyer I did so when I sell the car. I'm going with this car is not being sold and I don't care about a next buyer that may never exist or may never ask me, "how did you break in the car?"

Dan (trusts Porsche warranty)
maybe, but their advice on brake pad break-in is ****!

Is this a good time to ask what oil is best?6
Old 11-28-2014, 11:45 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Never any argument about the ROW vs USA manuals mentioning a running in procedure. Key difference is 4200 rpm which is under 50% of the rev band and is a significant addition to the USA manual IMO.

If you put aside the 3000km stipulation in the ROW manual then it reads exactly as the PAG employee told me at the factory. As Ive repeatedly said he stated to run the car in with 7000 rpm max (this is around 80% of maximum revs) for first tank varying throttle and not running up to 7000 until warm then after that drive it like I would normally drive it. Thats exactly what I did. In 3500km the engine felt stronger and i sued a total of 250ml of oil in that time. Did I hit 9000 rpm - heck yes on a few occasions always once engine was well warm. Did I sit between 7000-9000 regularly - no as its not a comfortable zone to cruise in and the car was used for touring long distances.

Then Kabamm I cant use my car any longer because in Switzerland and Italy a car caught on fir after 200km!

So what happens next. I wait a long time get a fat cheque and a new engine, and I repeat the same break in bit this time I spend much more time between 7000-9000 rpm. I go to the track at around 1000km (600 miles) for one single session and its just wonderful (the other 2 NZ new GT3s I know the owners of in NZ actually took the car to the track at around 400 and 600km!).

Then I stated talking to many of teh GT3 action group members in Europe the ones doing serious track work on the new engine. Its summer when they get their car back and they waste no time going to Spa and putting in some tough laps.

I think for many of us we had the pysch on the second engine of "life too short weve waited montsh and 3000km taking it easy to have the car off the road for 3-4 montsh and a new engine so this time we are giing to give it plenty and try to break it because if they havent got it righjt a second time well take our money back and run thanks!". Thats crtainly the thoughts ging through a number of our European and UK owners I can tell you right now and it crossed my mind too. Not that I followed the US break in but if I had done that for a few montsh and 2000 miles to loose my car for 4-6 montsh then have to do it all over again i would have been mad.

Mike, totally respect your POV. If I had the time and patience I might do it like you too but I have 10 weeks a year to drive this car (I live in a different country to my car as most know) and Im young and impatient and life's way too short for me to spend almost year at my current usage breaking it in.

As the the engine and the car itself it seems to use less oil than some on the track and no more than others, it doesnt smoke and now with over 2000 miles on the new engine it feels fighting fit.

There is no right or wrong answer to this questions - the factory took that option away when they gave one market a different set of instructions from the rest of the world so make up your own mind, be sensible and just shut up and drive ;-P
Old 11-28-2014, 11:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by kon5t
frankly, the former will produce more power.
And the basis for that statement is.....?
Old 11-28-2014, 11:54 PM
kon5t
Instructor

And the basis for that statement is.....?
experience
Old 11-28-2014, 11:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Mike, totally respect your POV. If I had the time and patience I might do it like you too but I have 10 weeks a year to drive this car (I live in a different country to my car as most know) and Im young and impatient and life's way too short for me to spend almost year at my current usage breaking it in.
And I yours, Mark. If I only had 10 weeks a year to drive my car, I'd have been pretty damn impatient too and would likely have done exactly what you did.

This subject is interesting, and every time it comes up we learn something so I don't think it's a waste of time to continue the discussion and ask questions. Regardless, I wouldn't presume to tell someone else what they should do with their car as everyone's situation is different. I just know what feels right to me.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:06 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
I've always kept things under 4,500 - 5,000 RPM before 1,500 -1,800 miles. It's not easy, but the article linked to by Mike CA appears more credible than the glib "drive it like you stole it" suggestion.
Like this article...applying to now old motorcycles ?
This article was popular when the 996.2 variant was out in 2004.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: should I break in? Picking her up in few hours