Sponsored by:

should I break in? Picking her up in few hours

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 12:27 PM
87turbo87
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
The most likely reason why the break in for the U.S. is different to the ROW. It's probably their way to deal with our litigational culture and a "we warned you" get out clause.
This point is an interesting one....assuming it's right, WHY would Porsche care what we do during the early miles as it relates to extending warranty coverage for a follow on buyer unless they felt IT DOES provide for longer life (and fewer warranty claims)?

Also, I recently bought a Hellcat and the manual pretty much asks you to break the car in though incremental benchmarks. The first 100 miles you are supposed to vary RPM's and keep revs limited (no highway miles that stick to a specific RPM), then up to 250 miles revs go higher, 500-1000 miles they want you to push it a bit more with select runs up to max. Afer 1000 go nuts....I know some of you will tell me that I'm comparing a block of 700+hp iron to a refined sports car with light weight materials...but the heat generated by the Hellcat is monumental and the systems they have in place to manage that heat are state of the art so I DO think there are important take-aways when comparing the break-in procedures.

Lastly, everyone here seems fixated on breaking in the engine...how about the PDK unit, transaxle, friction points (suspension points, brakes, wheel bearings, etc.)? I have to imagine they need time to seat as well.

JJ
Old 03-20-2015, 12:32 PM
mlpor
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by neuroguru
. . . . . There are just too many variables over the life of the car that affect engine components.

You couldn't do a prospective, randomized controlled study of this. There are too many variables to control in real life. I suppose you could do various break-in procedures then submit 50 GT3s to a life of controlled dyno-use for 100k miles then break the engines down, but what a WASTE of some great cars, massive expense, and likely null result.
FWIW, there is at least a "pool" of data out there, if Porache ever wanted to exploit it (and for what little it's worth, I believe there is a troll or accountant somewhere in Stuttgardt keeping at least a remote database of the data.) Last month, every morning for three days in Finland, I was with a group presented with a pack of something like 32+ brand, spanking new 991 Twin Turbos, @ 2/3rds Turbo "S", the rest , of the mundane, plain vanilla regular variety. On one of the mornings, when one of the group lines was short a car (the cohort was split in to 4 "flights" or drivers one an English speaking group, the other three done in German), Porsche pulled an additional Turbo S out of the reserve stock. The car had something like 40km on it. I was told to go ahead & drive the heck out of it. I believe every other of the 32+ vehicles in that PDE Winter group, none of which as I recall had more than 3k on them, had been driven that way since leaving the factory. There was also a similar, if not larger fleet of 991 C4S's being beat on in one of the "lesser" programs elsewhere in the Levi Driving facility.

They may, but I kind of doubt these cars are crushed at the end of the Porsche Driving Experience programs. I think they are brought back to a porsche service center, reconditioned and find their way into the used market - but maybe not. If they do, Porsche has their VIN#'s and a way of tracking the vehicles subsequent repair and maintenance histories long term. They would certainly fall in & qualify for the "drive it like you stole it" break (or maybe better said, "run-in") period. Cheers.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:11 PM
devenh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious, for those GT3 owners who had to return their cars for an engine swap, were they told to break in their replacement engines? And if so, was the process any different from what is stated in the manual?

Quick Reply: should I break in? Picking her up in few hours