Sponsored by:

Does the GT3 have an AGM battery?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 11:59 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelsey
I know that this is an old post but the picture of the battery shown above does not appear to be an AGM battery. I have a GT4 and have been asking the same question to determine if it came with a AGM battery. Based on seeing the vent tube I assume it is a regular lead battery. The part # is 999.611.070.12 Banner 12V 70 Ah 760 A. Anyone able to confirm? Thanks
An AGM battery is a type of lead acid battery.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:32 PM
Kelsey
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I went to two separate Porsche Dealerships in the area and both confirmed that the battery is a typical Lead battery not a AGM. The newer cars that have the capability to shut off and restart at a stop light use AGM batteries and I am now 100% sure that this one is not. The GT4 and GT3 appear to use the typical Lead battery. All the other vehicles list AGM on the battery. Call your Porsche Dealership. They should be able to confirm. I too wish this was an AGM but unfortunately its not.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:27 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I know that this is an old post but the picture of the battery shown above does not appear to be an AGM battery. I have a GT4 and have been asking the same question to determine if it came with a AGM battery. Based on seeing the vent tube I assume it is a regular lead battery. The part # is 999.611.070.12 Banner 12V 70 Ah 760 A. Anyone able to confirm? Thanks
I went to two separate Porsche Dealerships in the area and both confirmed that the battery is a typical Lead battery not a AGM. The newer cars that have the capability to shut off and restart at a stop light use AGM batteries and I am now 100% sure that this one is not. The GT4 and GT3 appear to use the typical Lead battery. All the other vehicles list AGM on the battery. Call your Porsche Dealership. They should be able to confirm. I too wish this was an AGM but unfortunately its not.
I can't speak to the GT4 as the battery number you quote is one digit off from the one in the pic in post # 5 of this thread (last digits of serial number are 12 versus 10), but the 991 GT3 has an AGM battery. To that point, from page 208 of the GT3 owner's manual:

Only replace the battery with one that satisfies
the specific requirements of the vehicle.
The vehicle is designed specifically for AGM
(Absorbent Glass Mat) batteries.
The vehicle’s
full functionality is only guaranteed with an
AGM battery.

Also, the OP of this thread checked with Banner, the manufacturer of the GT3 battery, and they confirmed that it is an AGM. See post #6.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:35 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kelsey, Mike is correct and both those dealers are wrong. The GT3 absolutely has an AGM battery.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:38 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike does not speak unless he's 100% sure.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:44 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

^^Oh boy, bronson, now there's pressure.....
Old 10-04-2015, 09:54 PM
Kelsey
Racer

Maybe it's different in the GT4 as the part number is different. I started investigating the battery in the GT4 because I really wanted it to be an AGM battery. I will continue to investigate. Thx
Old 10-04-2015, 10:00 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Maybe it's different in the GT4 as the part number is different. I started investigating the battery in the GT4 because I really wanted it to be an AGM battery. I will continue to investigate. Thx
Kelsey, see if it says anything in the battery section of the GT4 owner's manual. Since it's so specific in the GT3 manual you'd think the GT4 manual would reference it too, if it has an AGM....
Old 10-04-2015, 10:43 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

The GT4 owners manual does not have the same verbiage as that of the GT3 regarding the battery. From Page 207 of the GT4 manual:

"Replacing the battery
The battery is subject to normal wear: its service
life depends heavily on the care you give it,
climatic conditions and the conditions of use
(distances, loads).
It is not possible to use the details on the battery
case to determine a comparable battery that
meets all the specific requirements of Porsche.
> Have the battery removed and installed only by
your authorized Porsche dealer.
> Only use an original Porsche battery, with the
correct part number, as a replacement. Only
this battery meets the specific requirements of
the vehicle.
>After you install a new battery, it must be
initialised in the control unit.
Please contact your authorized Porsche
dealer.
> Please observe the disposal instructions for
batteries."

From Page 216 of the GT3 manual:

Replacing the battery
The battery is subject to normal wear: its service
life depends heavily on the care you give it,
climatic conditions and the conditions of use
(distances, loads).
It is not possible to use the details on the battery
case to determine a comparable battery that
meets all the specific requirements of Porsche.
Information
> After you install a new battery, it must be
initialised in the control unit.
Please contact an authorized Porsche dealer.
> Have the battery removed and installed only by
your authorized Porsche dealer.
> Only replace the battery with one that satisfies
the specific requirements of the vehicle.
The vehicle is designed specifically for AGM
(Absorbent Glass Mat) batteries. The vehicle’s
full functionality is only guaranteed with an
AGM battery.
We recommend that you use a genuine
Porsche battery.
> Please observe the disposal instructions for
batteries."

In addition, my GT4's battery is an Exide, not a Banner as is the one on my GT3.
Attached Images  
Old 10-05-2015, 08:53 PM
Kelsey
Racer

Hi Mike, Thanks for the follow-up. So my battery in the GT4 is the Banner Battery and I now have confirmation from the Lead Mechanic at Porsche that it is an AGM battery.

I told the Lead Mechanic that the parts guys at two different dealerships (his dealership included) told me the GT4 comes with a typical Lead Acid battery and not an AGM battery. Since the battery had a vent tube, I figured they were right as my Odyssey Battery in my 07 Boxster S (987.1) does not have a vent tube. However, after reading your posting, I went back and talked with the lead mechanic. He told me that all Porsche batteries (Banner) are AGM batteries. They do not have the tubes where distilled water could be topped up and thus they are AGM batteries. He also told me that even though they are AGM, they still have a vent tube. So there you have it. Thanks so much for your help. That is why I love these forums. Always so educational and helpful. I feel so fortunate to have a GT4 as I am not a 918 owner and was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time. Thanks again.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Hi Mike, Thanks for the follow-up. So my battery in the GT4 is the Banner Battery and I now have confirmation from the Lead Mechanic at Porsche that it is an AGM battery.

I told the Lead Mechanic that the parts guys at two different dealerships (his dealership included) told me the GT4 comes with a typical Lead Acid battery and not an AGM battery. Since the battery had a vent tube, I figured they were right as my Odyssey Battery in my 07 Boxster S (987.1) does not have a vent tube. However, after reading your posting, I went back and talked with the lead mechanic. He told me that all Porsche batteries (Banner) are AGM batteries. They do not have the tubes where distilled water could be topped up and thus they are AGM batteries. He also told me that even though they are AGM, they still have a vent tube. So there you have it. Thanks so much for your help. That is why I love these forums. Always so educational and helpful. I feel so fortunate to have a GT4 as I am not a 918 owner and was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time. Thanks again.
I'm glad you got it sorted out, Kelsey. It's interesting that you and John not only have a different brand of battery in your GT4's but also ones with different ampere hour ratings. Curious.....
Old 10-05-2015, 11:01 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'm glad you got it sorted out, Kelsey. It's interesting that you and John not only have a different brand of battery in your GT4's but also ones with different ampere hour ratings. Curious.....
It certainly is curious, Mike. I have asked my friend who also has a GT4 to check which battery he has.

I can understand why the GT3 might have a higher amp rating due to its four wheel steering, but not why one GT4 would have a higher amp rating than another. I know that batteries are sometimes swapped out at the Port PDI facility or at the dealer, but you would think they would not put in a lower amp rated battery as a replacement.

By the way, I checked my Turbo S, and it has an 860 amp rated Banner battery, although its owners manual also does not spell out an AGM battery as does the GT3 manual.

Last edited by jfr0317; 10-06-2015 at 09:29 AM. Reason: typos
Old 10-05-2015, 11:19 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

I just heard back from my friend. His GT4, which was delivered in August, has the same battery as my GT4, which was delivered in July.

Given that the GT4 does not have four wheel steering or auto start/stop, I guess I am not surprised my friend's car and mine do not have a higher capacity battery, but I wonder why Kelsey's car does.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:53 PM
Kelsey
Racer

Interesting. Wonder if it's like the tires. Whatever they have on hand is what you get? I got Dunlop tires but really wanted the Michelin Cup tires. Mine arrived in mid June. I can do some checking and I'll let you know what I find out.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:55 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Interesting. Wonder if it's like the tires. Whatever they have on hand is what you get? I got Dunlop tires but really wanted the Michelin Cup tires. Mine arrived in mid June. I can do some checking and I'll let you know what I find out.
Thanks. Please let us know what you find out.

Quick Reply: Does the GT3 have an AGM battery?