Sponsored by:

OT: The "other, other, GT car": Corvette Z06 test drive reports

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 01:03 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
^^I will let you borrow mine from time to time if you miss them.
Fyi. The "gold chains " they gave me and the gaudy sunglasses to match were fake.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:12 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by seapar
Fyi. The "gold chains " they gave me and the gaudy sunglasses to match were fake.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:32 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

I saw The Z06 at the LA Auto Show. Checked with the GM rep at the stand - $110K fully loaded, like the blue one on display. Nice looking, but not the bargain they used to be.
Btw, the Shelby 350 looked stunning (no pricing yet), but that one should be a fun car. As everybody knows, MT available on both.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:23 PM
CobraR1339
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Z06 will no doubt be a bargain performance wise. What Z06 to date wasn't. Scalded dog Super Car for sure. It will do everything GM promises it will do. I would say it should cost less to run, but the blower is the wild card. Forced induction sounds cool, but has never made for a reliable, repeatable performing track car. Expect $15k in reliability mods.

It will look badass to some and just to cartoonish to others. The rear end styling I just plain hate on the C7's. 3/4 angles have a Ferrarish look that I like from a distance. But up close it is like the Cadillac and Acura guys got together and went nuts on all sharp angles. The car simply has no grace to it what so ever.

That said my C6Z06 modded to Z07 package track warrior ($15k of track reliability gear) with slicks is just a ####ing missile. The torque is simply brutal. Not so sure though that the cost of PCCB vs. GM CC is that significant a point. With about 6,000 track miles on them and 3.5 pad changes (some experimenting here), the pads tend to last longer, fluid stays a bit cooler, less burnt smell, and the rotors are still primo.

Someone asked what car is the best of both worlds….Street Comfort and Track upper end prowess, styling and exclusiveness. Plus a super head turner.

1. Hands down for me it's the Audi R8 V10 5.2 6 speed or new S tronic, skip the R tronic versions. In comfort it is the best riding /driving Super car next to the Mp12 4C. But with much better ingress/egress than the Mp12 4c. Room behind the seat is a plus, and a boot that is plenty big.

Add a serviceable and reliable power train. Plenty of Audi dealers around, should there be a need. Your wife/girlfriend will not complain once when set in normal suspension mode. It rides better than most luxury cars in that mode.

So, if your vision is splendid 500 mile trip, concert stereo, or crack the window and listen to the intoxicating V10, and 4-5 track weekends a year. This is your car period. Unless you are Randy Pobst, you will never be able to extract all that this car can do. Must be driven to understand. Skip the V10+ is on a budget, you can flash to that power level 560hp for about 1.2k. It's an LP560 that Audi simply de-tunes electronically.

It's Ironman's car.

2. Feeling a little more mortal like Steve Mc Queen...The 991 GT3. You want to really just drive, feel the car, not be as flashy, yet focus on precision. Want a car that feels just a little more intimate than the R8. Want to become one with the car. A compliant ride, but far far from cush if a concrete road is on your journey. Clean Asphalt is Nirvana. This is the car that makes a car guy want to go for a run through a canyon as often as possible. The R8 is similar, but just not near the level of intimacy. The R8 in comparison romances you, the GT3 is sex with a hot chick in the elevator. The car drives smaller than it is, and is the scalpel of the bunch. Youtube the R8 Z06 top gear comparison. Jeremy about nails it. But replace the Z06 with a 991 GT3 and you now have found what he was looking for. Just a little more Soul.

Think you will miss the stick shift, think again…..the PDK-S is not an auto box at all. In fact is not much fun in normal auto. Steve would drive it manually all the time …sport exhaust open (super engaging experience this way)…and when the roads permit, sports mode. Imagine the opening scene from Le Mans, that drive through the country road. The nice noises of the flat 6. Insert the 991 GT3 in that scene and it just fits. I suppose you could say the same for all the other GT3s as well. But this 991 is just that special as you can change the sound track and G's at will…and those popping shifts like a waste gate blowing off are just addictive.

But, lend it to the wife/girlfriend and they will complain about how clunky it is to drive to the mall in normal mode. They will think you are going to be mad because the trans is noisy and they broke it. They will forget to hit the lift button and scrape your spoiler. They would rather take the SUV to see the inlaws if the roads on the way are not friendly. They will ask why we have to drive with the windows down so much. So unless your girlfriend is Ashley Force or Danica, or a younger woman that just thinks a boyfriend with a Porsche is cool, odds are they won't totally get it. They will be more delighted in the R8.

3. The new Z06 …… Beer and Pretzels is what i would expect. Same shortcomings of the C7 Stingray in the finesse department and just not as exclusive. But a hell of a bargain performance wise. No way I would not have it on the list. Would likely buy it over the C2S for the huge difference in performance it will show and the torque it will yield. If the R8 is Ironman's car, this would be Batman's car in .
black. Plus black sort of hides the ugly tush better.

4. Don't care about the latest mag reviews….you just want Epic, legendary and timeless. And if you don't need but one change of clothes and will be able to park in wide open spaces. Want to attract a lot of attention. Want a car with an exciting history lesson behind it. One that goes up in value, not down. Want a smooth but powerful torque. Want the best shifter feel (when warm…rifle bolt action). Want a ride quality that splits the R8 and GT3. So intimate that it's like a womb, and you just never want to stop driving it. Perfect seating position, great stereo. Simple, yet effective. Feeling manly and skilled enough to forego ALL electronics except ABS. Want to be able to mod to the fastest top speed street legal car in the world for $35k more. Cash in the 401k and get the Ford GT Supercar. Nothing else really compares under $1m.

5. 2014 Viper….Still brutal, but way better now, selling slow, means to me will flatten out and hold value over time. Not as many units as planned. More exclusive than the Z06. And a more refined cabin now. Still at 8/10ths its not scary. Want to milk out all the the performance, that takes real skill. But 8/10ths will still put you at the head of the class on most track days. Like the new Mustang , there is something just not right about the nose on the car style wise too me.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:20 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CobraR1339
The Z06 will no doubt be a bargain performance wise. What Z06 to date wasn't. Scalded dog Super Car for sure. It will do everything GM promises it will do. I would say it should cost less to run, but the blower is the wild card. Forced induction sounds cool, but has never made for a reliable, repeatable performing track car. Expect $15k in reliability mods.

It will look badass to some and just to cartoonish to others. The rear end styling I just plain hate on the C7's. 3/4 angles have a Ferrarish look that I like from a distance. But up close it is like the Cadillac and Acura guys got together and went nuts on all sharp angles. The car simply has no grace to it what so ever.

That said my C6Z06 modded to Z07 package track warrior ($15k of track reliability gear) with slicks is just a ####ing missile. The torque is simply brutal. Not so sure though that the cost of PCCB vs. GM CC is that significant a point. With about 6,000 track miles on them and 3.5 pad changes (some experimenting here), the pads tend to last longer, fluid stays a bit cooler, less burnt smell, and the rotors are still primo.

Someone asked what car is the best of both worlds….Street Comfort and Track upper end prowess, styling and exclusiveness. Plus a super head turner.

1. Hands down for me it's the Audi R8 V10 5.2 6 speed or new S tronic, skip the R tronic versions. In comfort it is the best riding /driving Super car next to the Mp12 4C. But with much better ingress/egress than the Mp12 4c. Room behind the seat is a plus, and a boot that is plenty big.

Add a serviceable and reliable power train. Plenty of Audi dealers around, should there be a need. Your wife/girlfriend will not complain once when set in normal suspension mode. It rides better than most luxury cars in that mode.

So, if your vision is splendid 500 mile trip, concert stereo, or crack the window and listen to the intoxicating V10, and 4-5 track weekends a year. This is your car period. Unless you are Randy Pobst, you will never be able to extract all that this car can do. Must be driven to understand. Skip the V10+ is on a budget, you can flash to that power level 560hp for about 1.2k. It's an LP560 that Audi simply de-tunes electronically.

It's Ironman's car.

2. Feeling a little more mortal like Steve Mc Queen...The 991 GT3. You want to really just drive, feel the car, not be as flashy, yet focus on precision. Want a car that feels just a little more intimate than the R8. Want to become one with the car. A compliant ride, but far far from cush if a concrete road is on your journey. Clean Asphalt is Nirvana. This is the car that makes a car guy want to go for a run through a canyon as often as possible. The R8 is similar, but just not near the level of intimacy. The R8 in comparison romances you, the GT3 is sex with a hot chick in the elevator. The car drives smaller than it is, and is the scalpel of the bunch. Youtube the R8 Z06 top gear comparison. Jeremy about nails it. But replace the Z06 with a 991 GT3 and you now have found what he was looking for. Just a little more Soul.

Think you will miss the stick shift, think again…..the PDK-S is not an auto box at all. In fact is not much fun in normal auto. Steve would drive it manually all the time …sport exhaust open (super engaging experience this way)…and when the roads permit, sports mode. Imagine the opening scene from Le Mans, that drive through the country road. The nice noises of the flat 6. Insert the 991 GT3 in that scene and it just fits. I suppose you could say the same for all the other GT3s as well. But this 991 is just that special as you can change the sound track and G's at will…and those popping shifts like a waste gate blowing off are just addictive.

But, lend it to the wife/girlfriend and they will complain about how clunky it is to drive to the mall in normal mode. They will think you are going to be mad because the trans is noisy and they broke it. They will forget to hit the lift button and scrape your spoiler. They would rather take the SUV to see the inlaws if the roads on the way are not friendly. They will ask why we have to drive with the windows down so much. So unless your girlfriend is Ashley Force or Danica, or a younger woman that just thinks a boyfriend with a Porsche is cool, odds are they won't totally get it. They will be more delighted in the R8.

3. The new Z06 …… Beer and Pretzels is what i would expect. Same shortcomings of the C7 Stingray in the finesse department and just not as exclusive. But a hell of a bargain performance wise. No way I would not have it on the list. Would likely buy it over the C2S for the huge difference in performance it will show and the torque it will yield. If the R8 is Ironman's car, this would be Batman's car in .

4. Don't care about the latest mag reviews….you just want Epic, legendary and timeless. And if you don't need but one change of clothes and will be able to park in wide open spaces. Want to attract a lot of attention. Want a car with an exciting history lesson behind it. One that goes up in value, not down. Want a smooth but powerful torque. Want the best shifter feel (when warm…rifle bolt action). Want a ride quality that splits the R8 and GT3. So intimate that it's like a womb, and you just never want to stop driving it. Perfect seating position, great stereo. Simple, yet effective. Feeling manly and skilled enough to forego ALL electronics except ABS. Want to be able to mod to the fastest top speed street legal car in the world for $35k more. Cash in the 401k and get the Ford GT Supercar. Nothing else really compares under $1m.

5. 2014 Viper….Still brutal, but way better now, selling slow, means to me will flatten out and hold value over time. Not as many units as planned. More exclusive than the Z06. And a more refined cabin now. Still at 8/10ths its not scary. Want to milk out all the the performance, that takes real skill. But 8/10ths will still put you at the head of the class on most track days. Like the new Mustang , there is something just not right about the nose on the car style wise too me.
Very interesting read, thanks.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:28 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by CobraR1339

It's Ironman's car.

Very well written! Loved reading through that. Nice work.

I've heard that the V8 R8 is an overall better track car than the V10 (less weight, better balance). Not sure how widely held that belief is.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:11 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by br911
I saw The Z06 at the LA Auto Show. Checked with the GM rep at the stand - $110K fully loaded, like the blue one on display. Nice looking, but not the bargain they used to be.
Btw, the Shelby 350 looked stunning (no pricing yet), but that one should be a fun car. As everybody knows, MT available on both.
I'll just put this out there 😛

""""Pricing for Ford’s newest performance car might have just leaked.

Ford’s Shelby GT350 Mustang debuted last week at the L.A. Auto Show with a 5.2-liter flat-plane crankshaft V8 and the promise of loftier-than-ever track performance for the nameplate. Ford did not discuss pricing at the launch, but now HorsepowerKings.com reports that an unnamed source from Ford said the car will start at $52,995.
A Ford spokesman was not available for comment at the time of writing.

The report goes on to suggest that the “tech” package will cost $2,995 and that there will also be a “track” package available. Additionally, the story claims there will also be a GT350 R model that will sit above the rest of the range as an even more track-focused vehicle with enhanced brakes, aerodynamic alterations and stickier tires. According to the rumor, that car will debut in January during the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

In its base form, the car will have the most powerful naturally aspirated V8 ever to come from Ford with at least 500 hp and 400 lb-ft of torque. The flat-plane crankshaft will allow the engineering ne to rev more freely than a cross-plane crank, opening the engine for a higher redline. """"

Peter
Old 11-29-2014, 12:31 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great read Cobra. I need seat time in a Ford GT
Old 11-29-2014, 04:23 AM
CobraR1339
Track Day

Mech33

Yes, indeed, The R8 V8 is one hell of a car, power is along the lines of a C5 ZO6, but feels more nimble and lively, also feels a bit more nimble than a V10 (noticeable, but not by much) sound track of the R8 V8 engine may be one of the best V8 sounds tracks ever..approaching the 360 Stradale if, not on par. But the V10 will take it on most all full sized tracks. But really, how often will that happen that the two meet in real life.

Would not pass on one of the V8's either. Just not quite in the same power camp as the others mentioned. Think more along the C2-C4S, C5 Z06, C7 Stingray rival here. Audi has got game these days. A very fun, appealing and well executed car, slightly used, we are taking Caymen GTS money. All depends on your priorities and style. Do not fear an out of warranty R8 V8, same motor as in many other Audis, with good reliability.

Personally would take one over a C2S-C4S for exclusiveness and sex appeal alone. Especially, if I could only have one cool car and wanted something a little more Wow. Rev's really really quick. But I would still drive both first, there is just something about how the Porsche fits you that could sway from just the looks. Let's be honest we see a Porsche almost every day. R8's are very limited. Audi has kept production down on purpose to keep value up. Like Porsche, it is an AWD Super car ( LamBro) you can drive everyday, if so desired……Porsche / Audi / Lambo…All in the family these days. oh and then there is VW.

I have had a lot of cars over the years. Stuff with stripes attracts the car guy conversations at the gas pumps, women look the other way, like it's just too much inner child for them.

But, for some reason women actually recognize the R8 and give you a thumbs up gesture or want to look at it much closer. So, the first thing a car guy does is open the deck to show the German Carbon Fiber and brilliant engine bay design. But they really just want to look at the interior and sit in it.....go figure.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:33 AM
991 3Turbo
Racer

Strong rumors are that a new Ford GT is close to introduction next year and may well be revealed this spring. Thats what I am waiting for. Current Ford GT prices have gotten outrageous, and I see them taking a hit from current levels with a new intro, since most felt there never would be another one.

The Ford GT is a collection vehicle for sure, but never quite had the performance, unless massaged, that it should have had from the factory for that kind of money, since most went for way over sticker. It wasn't even quicker than a C6 Z, nor was it a better track car, nor was it known for its Nurburing prowness. It was a 205 MPH car, and a true collectible, and only really valuable if not tuned/altered. Difficult situation for an enthusiast.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:09 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For 650 hp, the Z06 should be well faster than 155mph at Road Atlanta. Even with the DF. It seems to heat soak quickly as well when driven hard. Low 1:30's in a 991 GT3 is certainly possible with a driver of Pobst or Pilgrims ability.

The base C7 seems to have cooling issues as well. So it seems consistent across the generation.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:09 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

[QUOTE=CobraR1339;11836607]
Someone asked what car is the best of both worlds….Street Comfort and Track upper end prowess---the R8

I appreciate the passion of your statement, but the R8 doesn't begin to master both worlds like the 991 GT3, which is beautiful , stylish, comfortable, but simultaneously a track monster.

While it has power and now a decent transmission, the R8 is not a track car. I literally have never seen an R8 on a track, probably, because it doesn't belong there. It's not made for track work, the components won't last, and it will understeer into every corner.

The R8 is a baby super car, for those who aren't ready to make the full jump to a 458 or 650S. Don't get me wrong, the V10 R8 is a great car, I've been in two or them, but the R8 is not the "best of both worlds",
And the R8 is not winning any performance car of the year awards, like the 991 GT3.

Last edited by Drifting; 11-29-2014 at 08:14 PM. Reason: .
Old 11-30-2014, 04:06 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Interesting that a vw family product, and a model targeted at a similar high performance niche; would fail to meet similar track durability standards.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:32 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Interesting that a vw family product, and a model targeted at a similar high performance niche; would fail to meet similar track durability standards.
The R8 is designed to be a high performance car, but not a track car. The stresses you place on the components of a car doing a canyon run twice a month, are not the same as a track day twice a month.

You've surely seen the threads by elephant racing and others, on just the differences in the suspension components of the GT3 compared to the base 911.
There are many other differences in GT3 components compared to a 911, because a GT3 is truly built to track regularly, in a way that the R8 and Lamborghini are not.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:28 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
The R8 is designed to be a high performance car, but not a track car. The stresses you place on the components of a car doing a canyon run twice a month, are not the same as a track day twice a month.
Agree, though 95% of owners do not know the difference. And it's not only durability, but the brakes / suspension / etc. just aren't tuned for serious track work. The first time I rode in a real race car, I was pretty shocked. Very different experience from a fast road car.

For someone who doesn't go to the track and spends most of their time in urban environments, the R8 may very well master "both worlds" better than the GT3. It just depends on the extremes of that person's two worlds.

Last edited by vantage; 11-30-2014 at 09:22 PM.

Quick Reply: OT: The "other, other, GT car": Corvette Z06 test drive reports