Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: The "other, other, GT car": Corvette Z06 test drive reports

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 11:02 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I will w/hold judgement until I see some summer time track days.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:05 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
Take with a bigger than usual grain everything at corvetteforum, as they've been on a pretty totalitarian purge of all unfavorable commentary about the new Z06. For example a couple of owners of Z06 and Viper rented a local drag strip to test and posted results; that thread was quickly deep-sixed to "other cars." Several others went the same way, but favorable dyno results stay, as does the VIR lap with Mero driving. I expect that you won't be able to get real info about overheating and other track issues there any more.
Keith, I think most of those threads that have been "deep sixed" were done so by the mods because of all the vitriol and childish behavior of certain posters in the Z06 section. Most of the haters are complaining about Z07's lack of straight-line performance vs Gen 5 Vipers, not that the stage 3 aero Z07 was ever meant to be a 1/4 mile champ, obviously Chevy was aiming at lap records VIR, RA, Leguna Seca and the 'Ring (will resume trying this spring), not Englishtown.....
Old 01-08-2015, 04:09 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

I'm also interested in seeing how the cooling systems perform in this car once summer rolls around. Fortunately, as I live in upstate NY, summers here are cool and overheating is not an issue for me, but I would assume guys in FLA, CA and GA/VA may have temp issues in July-August
Old 01-08-2015, 04:19 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
Keith, I think most of those threads that have been "deep sixed" were done so by the mods because of all the vitriol and childish behavior of certain posters in the Z06 section. Most of the haters are complaining about Z07's lack of straight-line performance vs Gen 5 Vipers, not that the stage 3 aero Z07 was ever meant to be a 1/4 mile champ, obviously Chevy was aiming at lap records VIR, RA, Leguna Seca and the 'Ring (will resume trying this spring), not Englishtown.....
Yes, plenty of vitriol that was actually pretty entertaining. But moderation means you police the (really not that many) people who could not be civil. The dragnet was pretty harsh and the threads had very interesting info. Yes, mostly drag info, but let's face it, part of the allure of 650 hp is how fast it will go. And I am quick enough on a track I know that I doubt I give up a lot of time to most anyone; certainly not enough to be easier on the equipment and perhaps harder when I get ham-fisted.

The one thread I saw about track work was a 3 guys driving around Homestead at under Skip Barber MX-5 cup pace and everyone fawning over how well the cars could hold up for 15 minutes at a time at such a blistering pace. Meanwhile the Performance Data Recorder (an extremely cool option that makes sport chrono look like a POS) showed oil temps over 280 and water over 240 after about 6 laps. Hero laps are great for bench racing, but track rats like me want a car that will last for 30 min sessions without cool down laps.

I digress - I voted with my pocketbook and ordered the GT3, but I love my C6Z06 (that will easily run with the 997 GT3) and want to love the C7 version, but my word they are getting to be not my people and a 3500+ lb car tells me power and luxury matter most to the manufacturer and target demographic.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:44 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
Yes, plenty of vitriol that was actually pretty entertaining. But moderation means you police the (really not that many) people who could not be civil. The dragnet was pretty harsh and the threads had very interesting info. Yes, mostly drag info, but let's face it, part of the allure of 650 hp is how fast it will go. And I am quick enough on a track I know that I doubt I give up a lot of time to most anyone; certainly not enough to be easier on the equipment and perhaps harder when I get ham-fisted.

The one thread I saw about track work was a 3 guys driving around Homestead at under Skip Barber MX-5 cup pace and everyone fawning over how well the cars could hold up for 15 minutes at a time at such a blistering pace. Meanwhile the Performance Data Recorder (an extremely cool option that makes sport chrono look like a POS) showed oil temps over 280 and water over 240 after about 6 laps. Hero laps are great for bench racing, but track rats like me want a car that will last for 30 min sessions without cool down laps.

I digress - I voted with my pocketbook and ordered the GT3, but I love my C6Z06 (that will easily run with the 997 GT3) and want to love the C7 version, but my word they are getting to be not my people and a 3500+ lb car tells me power and luxury matter most to the manufacturer and target demographic.

me too^^
Old 01-08-2015, 05:07 PM
991 3Turbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
At the CES [consumer electronic show] GM presented a technology that will enable their vehicles to inform owners when a breakdown is about to occur. An alert will also be emailed and texted to the owner. Will not be available on all cars and will be an option. Corvette can get it as an option.
Cool. You can get express warnings about recalls not even announced yet. 30 million strong last year GM and going strong. Ridiculous.

I am a Corvette owner as well. The Z got rushed to market. New engine, blower, tranny, just too many new things that need the bugs worked out.

When my long time dealer told me that they would need 25k over MSRP and wouldn't even take MSRP waiting lists, I told them to go F themselves and have quickly soured on them now.

Now they are calling me again, since there are 3 on the lot, only 3 weeks after release.

They deserve what they get. Funny how the C7 guys are fawning over the Z, when the same people blasted GTR owners about having all the electronic nannies and data recorders. Just priceless.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:12 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^ Soon they will be begging you to take one for 25k UNDER MSRP. Hehehe!
Old 01-08-2015, 11:12 PM
991 3Turbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
^^^ Soon they will be begging you to take one for 25k UNDER MSRP. Hehehe!
Yes---same as the ZR1. But the ZR never disappointed from day 1 in the performance arena.

Now the videos coming in of the Z getting easily walked from a roll by Hellcats at 800 pounds heavier. Not good for business. Sounds as though the Mopar auto tranny is the best of the two by far. Seems to work flawlessly in comparison.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:36 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

C7 short-lived????

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/08/m...-c8-spy-shots/
Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2015, 12:49 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'Rumor' has it that C7 will co-exist with C8. C8 will be 'limited' run car 1500 units annually and be in the same price point of GT3 (about $150k'ish). They will slowly phase over the 2018-19 years to all mid engine and C7 will go bye bye. We'll see...
Old 01-09-2015, 04:02 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 991 3Turbo
Yes---same as the ZR1. But the ZR never disappointed from day 1 in the performance arena.

Now the videos coming in of the Z getting easily walked from a roll by Hellcats at 800 pounds heavier. Not good for business. Sounds as though the Mopar auto tranny is the best of the two by far. Seems to work flawlessly in comparison.
The Z06 produces a lot of downforce, and downforce increases drag. The result is slower acceleration times. As for downforce, cornering, high speed stability, and lap times, the Z06 is in a different league vs. the Hellcat.

Last edited by MM3.9GT3; 01-09-2015 at 10:44 PM.

Quick Reply: OT: The "other, other, GT car": Corvette Z06 test drive reports