Sponsored by:

Got the GT3 Tinted and Wrapped/Clear Bra today

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 08:59 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Got the GT3 Tinted and Wrapped/Clear Bra today

Picked up my 15 GT3 from Lee Berbs today after having him tint and put on the clear bra. He did such an amazing job with the clear bra, at first I thought he didn't put it on. Lee is a true artist and car guy. His shop is in Hillsborough and its the best install I had on any of my cars(I'm embarrassed to say at time how many cars I have owned).

He offers anything you want and does not push any product on you. I asked him to do what he would do if it was his car.

Details:
Tint=35% all around Madico Charcoal, I did not want any of the blue hues from the other tint companies
Clear Bra= Xpel Ultimate, Full hood, Full fenders, front bumpers, mirrors, door handles and cups, lower rockers including the textured paint and rear fenders(removes the stock stone guard which is crap).

Here are some crappy pics from my phone as it was getting dark. That is Lee taking some pics in the background.
Attached Images     
Old 11-21-2014, 09:02 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

A few more crappy pics.
Attached Images   
Old 11-21-2014, 09:09 PM
916Bob
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a similar service in the Dallas area? My car is due to arrive 1/2/15.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:14 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

That was your car! Greg had me call him the other day because they had your car in the shop. I'll be bringing mine there when I pick it up.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:06 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Small world. Greg told me that you were going to bring your car in to be wrapped. My office is not that far from there, depending when you drop it off maybe we grab a beer.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:36 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by 916Bob
Beautiful!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a similar service in the Dallas area? My car is due to arrive 1/2/15.
Norm Schilling at Invisibra. Almost can't tell the clear bra is on. He did my Turbo S and does a lot of the high end cars in the DFW area.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:17 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

How high did he come up on the rear fender? Or did he do the whole quarter panel incl the arc over the door?

Thx

Ryan
Old 11-22-2014, 04:32 AM
Hamad
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful! Congratulations!
I had mine for two weeks now. Had the windows tinted but hesitating to have the bra on.. Worried about yellowing and color difference especially that it's white too..

What's your thought on this? I read other threads and the majority of people seem to think that touch ups and paint refreshing is better for the look?

Would appreciate some advice.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:46 AM
bhf_clt
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hamad
I had mine for two weeks now. Had the windows tinted but hesitating to have the bra on.. Worried about yellowing and color difference especially that it's white too..

What's your thought on this? I read other threads and the majority of people seem to think that touch ups and paint refreshing is better for the look?

As would I. I'm really struggling with what to do here because of the conflicting opinions. I have a CWM on the way.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:58 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by reidry
How high did he come up on the rear fender? Or did he do the whole quarter panel incl the arc over the door?

Thx

Ryan
It comes up to about an inch or two below the level of the door handle. I didn't even know he covered it until he showed me. My 991 C4S, was getting hit in that area from track and terrible roads.

Last edited by fastmd; 11-22-2014 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Sp
Old 11-22-2014, 09:25 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hamad

Most of it depends on the installer. Spell and Suntek are very clear, better than what was being put on 5+ years ago. Every time I don't get the clear bra put on, I regret the decision. My 991 C4S was plastered with rock chips, but I do drive my cars how they were intended.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:06 AM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Question.....If a car has clear bra/wrap, will a paint thickness meter be of no value?

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2014, 10:34 AM
JFA65
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Fastmd, what did your guy tell you about yellowing. I've had clear bra applied to my last two black C2s and always looked like orange peel. I have several friends in our local club with newer white 911s and there's are yellowing badly. I've been told white is the most difficult color to deal with and that yellowing is expected and to plan on replacement every 3-5 yrs. my experience is from 2009 and 3M. The question is are Expel, Suntech, and newer 3m materials more resistant to yellowing on a white car. Will they guarantee against yellowing?
Old 11-22-2014, 10:55 AM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had Xpel on my white C4S for about a year (13k milles) but it's only out in the sun while I drive. It hasn't yellowed from what I can see but under the right light you can see how one panel is a slightly different shade than the others. In my opinion its not very noticeable and if its garaged its probably going to look good for a while.

However, i'm not planning on wrapping my GR GT3. The wrap just doesn't look as good as bare paint and you can get bug/tar stains that don't come out 100%. It's a bit more resistant to swirls but they still happen too. I'll take the rock chips and respray when it needs it, its why I avoided a metallic color.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:09 AM
rwcsn1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been agonizing about this decision too as I have a white car coming in a few weeks. What I did was visit a few Porsche dealers to see the cars on the lot as well as those being brought in for service. Some of them have clear film. I guess everyone has their own personal and subjective opinions but it is extremely obvious to me there is film and that it looks more dull with varying yellowing noticeable on the white cars. Despite all that, I understand why others want to protect their paint, especially if they are thinking about resale value. I plan to keep mine and just touch up and refresh.

Quick Reply: Got the GT3 Tinted and Wrapped/Clear Bra today