Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got the GT3 Tinted and Wrapped/Clear Bra today

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 11:15 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

IMO the problem with looking at other peoples cars with film is that you don't know how they take care of it. I'm not saying it won't yellow, but if they don't do anything to take care of the film it will not look as good.

The film needs to be treated like paint. Wash it, seal it, wax it, whatever you would normally do. In theory that should slow down the yellowing process.

I would rather see marks on the film that I know are not in the paint and will come off when the film is taken off than know I need to repaint the car. For some reason I can personally accept the marks on the film easier than if it was on the paint. YMMV
Old 11-22-2014, 12:01 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
IMO the problem with looking at other peoples cars with film is that you don't know how they take care of it. I'm not saying it won't yellow, but if they don't do anything to take care of the film it will not look as good.

The film needs to be treated like paint. Wash it, seal it, wax it, whatever you would normally do. In theory that should slow down the yellowing process.

I would rather see marks on the film that I know are not in the paint and will come off when the film is taken off than know I need to repaint the car. For some reason I can personally accept the marks on the film easier than if it was on the paint. YMMV
Totally agree it's how you lake care of it. My M5 is a light color two years still looks new 3M product. My CWM GT3 honestly I spray it after
each drive with a conditioner. May sound excessive but it takes me five minutes no big deal. Weekend driver so very easy to maintain. Also a new coat of carnauba weekly(: my cars look show room new for years, and I have been doing this for more this 20 years.

Well call it my therapy session in my garage that I enjoy. I hate stone chips, and a reprint will not replace a factory job. Clear bra's are wonderful.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:45 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Hothonda
Question.....If a car has clear bra/wrap, will a paint thickness meter be of no value?

Thanks!
Good question, I have a paint meter. I should check.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:26 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Question.....If a car has clear bra/wrap, will a paint thickness meter be of no value?

Thanks!
Is there a reason you think that would matter if the paint is covered? You won't be polishing that paint with the film on it. Curious as to why you think this would be an issue with the film.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:29 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JFA65
Fastmd, what did your guy tell you about yellowing. I've had clear bra applied to my last two black C2s and always looked like orange peel. I have several friends in our local club with newer white 911s and there's are yellowing badly. I've been told white is the most difficult color to deal with and that yellowing is expected and to plan on replacement every 3-5 yrs. my experience is from 2009 and 3M. The question is are Expel, Suntech, and newer 3m materials more resistant to yellowing on a white car. Will they guarantee against yellowing?
They say that is a common problem, but it does have a 10yr warranty and my installer is good about things like that. There is no orange peel at all. I have 3M on my ACR and it looks terrible compared to the Xpel.

My cars are also garaged at home and my office, so the sun exposure is when I am driving.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:36 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Is there a reason you think that would matter if the paint is covered? You won't be polishing that paint with the film on it. Curious as to why you think this would be an issue with the film.
Easy.....Simple question = want simple answer.

If one is looking at a car to purchase w/film & wants a paint thickness check to verify no body/paint work, does clear film interfere ?

Make you feel better? Do you know the answer?
Old 11-22-2014, 01:57 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Easy.....Simple question = want simple answer.

If one is looking at a car to purchase w/film & wants a paint thickness check to verify no body/paint work, does clear film interfere ?

Make you feel better? Do you know the answer?
No need to be snippy with the Simple question = want simple answer and Make you feel better comment. I was curious as to why you thought about the paint thickness with a film installed. You answered that, and you should have left it at that, as your answer is reasonable.

And no I don't know the answer (don't see why it wouldn't work as the film is clear) but if Fastmd can't determine the answer I will ask when I see my installer.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:34 PM
rosino
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My installer here in London is giving me the choice inbetween Xpel Ultimate and Suntek. The former according to him is slightly thicker and more resistant whilst the latter being thinner shows greater gloss and less orange peel.

To be honest I had seen one of his installs on a Silver Carrera GT of the Xpel and had not noticed any orange peel at all.. and great gloss...

Undecided on which one to go for.. might have to see more real life examples before deciding.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:40 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

No need to be snippy with the Simple question = want simple answer and Make you feel better comment. I was curious as to why you thought about the paint thickness with a film installed. You answered that, and you should have left it at that, as your answer is reasonable.

And no I don't know the answer (don't see why it wouldn't work as the film is clear) but if Fastmd can't determine the answer I will ask when I see my installer.
Sorry about that...let's see if anybody knows. THX
Old 11-22-2014, 04:06 PM
RUF RS
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 154 Posts

I was faced with the same choice, and opted for Suntek. Thinner, less orange peel, just liked the look better, almost invisible.

Originally Posted by rosino
My installer here in London is giving me the choice inbetween Xpel Ultimate and Suntek. The former according to him is slightly thicker and more resistant whilst the latter being thinner shows greater gloss and less orange peel.

To be honest I had seen one of his installs on a Silver Carrera GT of the Xpel and had not noticed any orange peel at all.. and great gloss...

Undecided on which one to go for.. might have to see more real life examples before deciding.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:51 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RUF RS
I was faced with the same choice, and opted for Suntek. Thinner, less orange peel, just liked the look better, almost invisible.
Agreed. I have Suntek also. Invisible.

Unfortunately, a huge rock hit where my stone guards used to be (replaced with a larger area of Suntek) and it cut through the film and chipped the paint.

Oh well. I figure if it's a big enough rock and at speed, it's going to get through anyway.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:58 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Agreed. I have Suntek also. Invisible.

Unfortunately, a huge rock hit where my stone guards used to be (replaced with a larger area of Suntek) and it cut through the film and chipped the paint.

Oh well. I figure if it's a big enough rock and at speed, it's going to get through anyway.
I agree, either of the these films will damage with a big/sharp enough object. Around here the Suntek is about 5% cheaper than the Xpel. Both look great.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:20 PM
GT Venum
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

My recommendation is to use Xpel for a couple of reasons.

I have been installing film for about 7 years and have used just about all the films Xpel, Venture shield, 3M, Suntex and a couple of others from the venders sending me free film to try.

1. It has a better adhesive so less edge lifting
2. It is very strong to do what it was installed to do (Protect your paint).
3. It is a very good self-healing film.

I could put any film on my cars and all my cars have Xpel.

Currently waiting to see what happens with the GT3 RS.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:40 PM
AWW100
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was told the new 3M Pro is better than Xpel pre-cut kit cause they can be wrapped and seamless. Thoughts?
Old 11-23-2014, 12:52 AM
GT Venum
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think you would be able to tell the difference between the Xpel and the new 3M. I just talked with the 3M people and they told me that they are still working on the adhesive.

I would stick with the Xpel until the 3M film has been on the market for a little while.

In terms of the Xpel kits I know for a fact they fit perfectly. Here are a couple of cars that I have none with full hoods, fenders, bumper, and rocker panels and I can tell you the kits fit perfectly. 3M is improving their kits but they are not their yet.

I would not recommend having the install do a bulk install. I have seen too many cut cars while removing film other people have done with a bulk install. This cut paint was not noticeable until the film was removed.

Quick Reply: Got the GT3 Tinted and Wrapped/Clear Bra today