Sponsored by:

GT3 RS allocations

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 07:58 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Strimdog
Actually, 1 and 2 are switched. I had this conversation on Saturday when I bought my wifes Cayenne Turbo. Beverly Hills is in fact the #1 volume dealer in the US. Go figure. Champion is 2nd. 3-5 are unchanged.
Yeah, I have always heard that...they sell a ton of cars. Not really a dealer anywhere in the west side so you have to drive pretty far to go elsewhere. I am on my 8th or 9th car from them in the past 3.5 years, so they sell a lot to me!
Old 11-24-2014, 09:31 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Mega in-line replies incoming... Apologies for the giant post.

Originally Posted by Fowwiee
So at least for now, it appears that two independent dealership has confirmed that there is a total of 600 GT3 RS. What do you guys think? Should I take these words with a grant of salt?
Originally Posted by djcxxx
I was told 600 worldwide as well, but 600 for the US seems more likely given that the 918 owners have first call.
Keep in mind, these "facts" often begin as a single rumor reported as news (either on the internet, or by someone somewhere reputable), and then get re-broadcast as news, over and over, eventually to the point where everyone thinks it's fact. Am I saying it won't be 600 to the US for the first Model Year? No. It very well could be 600 to the US. That said, I doubt it'll be 600 worldwide. That would make the 991.1 GT3 RS limited edition, just like the 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0 (which it will likely outperform). I think Porsche would rather keep that LE card for yet another 991.2 GT3 RS variant. They're masterminds when it comes to milking a 911 generation with variants (and I love it).

Originally Posted by LitRbl
Could the number restrictions be emissions related?
I was under the impression that emissions requirements are across the entire fleet, not for specific cars. If they were solely on specific cars, almost all supercars, and even non-super high performance cars, are doomed.

Originally Posted by Guest89
Furthermore, I believe that some dealers knowingly mislead customers - that is, deliberate deception - to manipulate markets at times.
^^ This. Happens all the time. And every single time, we all feed into it (on Rennlist, on other forums, in the media, by the media).

Originally Posted by malmasri
Limited for sure, many dealers have twice as many deposits as allocations.
I'm pretty sure allocations haven't been allocated yet. Anything a dealer tells you is likely pure speculation on their part with respect to how many they think they'll get. FYI, anytime anyone's told me how much they think they'll get, they've always gotten more (in the past).

Originally Posted by RossL
600 worldwide makes no sense. There are more 918 owners.... Porsche is in the business to make money and only 600 isn't making money. I call BS
Granted, they don't really hope to make a ton of money off this stuff. That's what they have the Cayenne, Panamera, and Macan for. But, these cars are what drive more people to them. If they treat me like garbage when I try to buy my special 911's, I'm definitely not going to think of Porsche when I need a sedan, or an SUV. Nor am I going to recommend my friends who are just now having a second child that they should get a Macan / Cayenne.

Originally Posted by Fowwiee
I agree that 600 isn't make much sense. But I seriously doubt there is much $$ to be made on GT3 RS anyway. Porsche's major $$ maker are the cayenne, Macan and the Panamera. GT3 RS, 918s are only around for RD and brand image. I think they will be lucky if they breakeven on the 918.
Yup.

Originally Posted by DucatiSPS
My dealer said they are most likely getting 5 of them. I am number 3 on the list. I believe the two above me are 918 owners, but can't confirm.
Originally Posted by GT3_racer
Unfortunately I don't think it will matter which number you are at your dealer. If it is true there are only 200 cars coming to the U.S. (which, btw, I wouldn't necessarily believe until Porsche says so in print), then the 918 owners will most likely buy all of them.

The 918 owners have a voracious car appetite. They snapped up all 100 of the "Exclusive" Panameras before the car was even announced to the public. I wouldn't be tremendously surprised if the same thing happened with the RS. That is, it wouldn't surprise me if Porsche said, "we are making a GT3RS, and it's already sold out."
No offense to anyone who bought a Panamera Turbo S Exclusive Series on here, but that variant is garbage. Not worth the added cost. There's nothing special about it to me, unless I'm the idiot and completely missed what's special. (Well, actually, offense intended, heh... I did say something offensive, didn't I?)

I'm fairly confident that not ever 918 Spyder owner will consume their VIP allocation for the 911 variants. And a lot who do would only do it if they could flip them. But, if you flip them, you get kicked off the VIP list, if I'm not mistaken.

Originally Posted by Dude-
If you want one you'll get one. It's a matter of time. Like the 991 gt3 allocations, it will catch up in the end. unless it specifically states that it is a limited production they will make just enough for everyone. Just my opinion.
Originally Posted by Nizer
PAG allocated US 500. PCNA requested 600. Whether it gets adjusted is up in the air. 918 buyers have first dibs. This all applies to first year allocation. There will almost certainly be a second.
Yes. Yes! This. ^^

I'd wager that there will be two model years of the 991.1 GT3 RS, and it'll spill over into the production period of the 991.2 911. Then there'll be a short hiatus, and then the 991.2 GT3 / GT3 RS will hit (possibly with minor performance improvements, but mostly with cosmetic changes, such as the 918 Spyder steering wheel and taillights -- just like the Macan).

I also find it hard to believe that the 991.1 GT3 RS will be limited (numbered) edition like the 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0, the 997.2 GT2 RS, the 991 50th, etc. Knowing Porsche, they'll do another one of those towards the end of the 991 run. That would make total sense to me.

Originally Posted by Nizer
Not time to roll over just yet. The 4.0 is being done to homologate a new DFI motor for 2016 RSR.

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
I'm not willing to publicly say who but I was floated one supposedly "guaranteed" #2 at a Midwest dealer at 10k over 3 days ago.
Sadness that you committed to $10k over MSRP when many dealers will still sell it at MSRP if you're patient, or look hard enough. But, I do hope you get what you want, and in the end, it doesn't matter how much I think you should've spent, but how much you think it's personally worth.

Ok I got an answer from Porsche on this question. On limited production vehicles VIPs can buy every single one of them, leaving none for the rest of the buying public. In addition, if there are more VIPs interested than there are vehicles to be produced, then some VIPs won't get one. For example, if there were say 500 RS models being produced (a made up number for my illustration) and 600 VIPs want one, then 100 VIPs will be SOL.

All that said we still don't know if the RS is gong to be a limited production model or not. If not, then the VIP issue may be completely irrelevant (except with regard to timing of delivery).
That's how the policy / process is set, yeah. But, as I hope Porsche has learned from Ferrari (who makes this mistake time and time again), they won't **** off their VIP's, nor their most prominent customers (who didn't buy a 918 Spyder for one reason or another -- it's not always about money).

(Re: Ferrari, an example was the Enzo... They made 349 initially. Enough VIP's and long time customers complained, and threatened to jump ship, that Ferrari ended up making another 50. Some say it was even more than 399 worldwide, but since Ferrari didn't number the cars, it's tough to get a true count.)

Yes, I realize they're only making 100 Panamera Turbo S Exclusive Series cars, but see my negative comments above about that.

I have it from a good source within a certain German car company that there will be less than 500 RS for sale in the US. However, there are fewer than 300 US 918 owners, and not all 918 owners will buy the RS. So at least 200 non-VIPs, and likely quite a few more, should get RS's from their dealers.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
If I could get my fingers on a super limited edition unicorn 997 RS 4.0, anyone who wants to write a check for one of these automatics will have one.
Exactly! Same here. Patience is the key.

Maybe just not one of the first 30 of the boat..
Indeed. Besides, aren't those the ones with the most problems?

Originally Posted by CAlexio
So, situation seems simple. Ask a 918 owner how much overage he wants to purchase an extra RS and then sell it you.
Unfortunately we only get one. We can't order two.
Indeed, you can only get one per 918 Spyder purchased, and it's from the original 918 Spyder selling dealer, only. It's different from the VIP program with some other makes, where I'm able to buy from any franchise dealership I want, as the VIP-ness carries with my customer file.

Originally Posted by STG991
You guys think getting the RS is going to be a pain, read this drama.

The interesting thing is that they also mention that this could be the last NA Ferrari and could be very valuable. This future turboization of the 911 has me pissed as well.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11411228...xtra-equipment
Yup. I really wanted to make a push for the 458 Speciale. But after enough unpleasant experiences with Ferrari dealers, I passed. I know I'll wish I had one, and maybe one day I'll pick up a low miles preowned from a fellow collector, but eh, I have enough "last of their kind" naturally aspirated supercars. (Still, the 458 Speciale is one incredible, amazing car.)

Old 11-24-2014, 09:32 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Hmm, I think I just broke my record for longest cumulative replies in one post.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:44 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Go big or go home.

I remember when the .1RS was going to be the only and last RS coming to the US ever and they went $50k over sticker...
Old 11-24-2014, 09:50 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Go big or go home.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:23 AM
Sarum87
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there are 17 GT3s on the porsche beverly hills web site.....
Old 11-25-2014, 11:31 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarum87
there are 17 GT3s on the porsche beverly hills web site.....
All new deliveries sold or not will appear in the dealers web page. Once the owner takes delivery they will be removed. My dealer is showing 7 and they are have owners waiting.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:40 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Go big or go home.

I remember when the .1RS was going to be the only and last RS coming to the US ever and they went $50k over sticker...
this is my car, yep:
http://www.gt3rsregistry.com/2007GT3RS/vin/2905.htm
Old 11-25-2014, 12:15 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
All new deliveries sold or not will appear in the dealers web page. Once the owner takes delivery they will be removed. My dealer is showing 7 and they are have owners waiting.
still, I think the point is that even if they are all sold, that's a lot of GT3s at one dealer...
Old 11-25-2014, 12:47 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
still, I think the point is that even if they are all sold, that's a lot of GT3s at one dealer...
Its not that many for the volume that store does and considering the fact that these are already built (in transit)/going to be built soon and not delivered. Basically 17 deliveries over next 4 months (depending if some were LW bucket delays) inc Nov. so approx 3-5 deliveries per month.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:41 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Its not that many for the volume that store does and considering the fact that these are already built (in transit)/going to be built soon and not delivered. Basically 17 deliveries over next 4 months (depending if some were LW bucket delays) inc Nov. so approx 3-5 deliveries per month.
well, if its only 17 gt3s total, then I agree... I don't know all the particulars of when cars hit dealer inventory, website, etc... but it seems to me if there are 17 GT3s sold or inventory at one time at one dealer, that's a lot...
Old 11-25-2014, 01:47 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
well, if its only 17 gt3s total, then I agree... I don't know all the particulars of when cars hit dealer inventory, website, etc... but it seems to me if there are 17 GT3s sold or inventory at one time at one dealer, that's a lot...
Dealers get to decide on how they're posted to the website etc. My dealer never posts any cars that are customer orders to avoid incoming calls, other dealers post everything.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:18 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Dealers get to decide on how they're posted to the website etc. My dealer never posts any cars that are customer orders to avoid incoming calls, other dealers post everything.
Correct...the individual dealership can have the inventory available feed to the website based on what they want to show. It very much depends on dealer size also. If I owned a small Porsche dealer and only had 2 GT3s total and both were pre-sold I would probably make sure that they didn't appear available on my website, but if I owned BHP I would keep these online just like they have done until they deliver because they will generate leads for the dealership (hopefully they will disclose that the GT3s that are showing online are pre-ordered/sold). With that number of pending delivery GT3s in the pipeline they will likely have a back out (or many) in the 11th hour. They will have a list of alternatives so that they can quickly turn the cars when and if back outs occur.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:22 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Nice car

Quick Reply: GT3 RS allocations