Sponsored by:

Is the GT3 overkill for most buyers???

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 01:04 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
I like to think we're buying this generation's 1973 Carrera RS.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:30 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Overkill? Depends on why you want the car and what you're sacrificing to get it. If the goal is having a car which is fun to drive at reasonable road speeds, yes, I do think this GT3 is overkill because it's too tame at those speeds.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:46 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Overkill? Depends on why you want the car and what you're sacrificing to get it. If the goal is having a car which is fun to drive at reasonable road speeds, yes, I do think this GT3 is overkill because it's too tame at those speeds.
"too tame at those speeds", maybe I'm alone on this but when you do normal driving what is the thing supposed to do? Are we wanting it to be a muscle car from traffic light to traffic light? THIS IS A CAR DESIGNED FOR OCCASIONAL TRACK USE????? You give up one thing for another in cars always. Manifold this includes a track prepped Cayman (ask me how I know)! My 997 RS drives like I'm riding a surfboard on concrete when I'm driving around town (and I might add it also is finicky at low RPMs), and I wouldn't want it any other way because that same ride is incredible for feel on the track. My 512TR has no power steering and I appear to people outside the car like I'm wrestling a bear inside when I pull into parking space but I would never want power steering on the car because it feels great at high speeds?? Go buy a AMG Mercedes if you want to go from light to light in comfort and speed....take it to the track and you will give some things up??
Old 11-20-2014, 10:23 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sccchiii
"too tame at those speeds", maybe I'm alone on this but when you do normal driving what is the thing supposed to do? Are we wanting it to be a muscle car from traffic light to traffic light? THIS IS A CAR DESIGNED FOR OCCASIONAL TRACK USE????? You give up one thing for another in cars always. Manifold this includes a track prepped Cayman (ask me how I know)! My 997 RS drives like I'm riding a surfboard on concrete when I'm driving around town (and I might add it also is finicky at low RPMs), and I wouldn't want it any other way because that same ride is incredible for feel on the track. My 512TR has no power steering and I appear to people outside the car like I'm wrestling a bear inside when I pull into parking space but I would never want power steering on the car because it feels great at high speeds?? Go buy a AMG Mercedes if you want to go from light to light in comfort and speed....take it to the track and you will give some things up??
My seat time on the road with the 991 GT3 is only half an hour so far, in a car that wasn't broken in, though I did drive on a variety of roads and mostly over speed limits, sometimes well over (while still giving due attention to safety). Same day, I drove my 997.1 C2S and Cayman R. I found the latter two more fun to drive on the road because the GT3 was too tame by comparison. I expect a track-focused car to be too intense on the road (as you note), but what I experienced with the GT3 was the opposite, not intense enough on the road.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:53 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

I would say most cars for street use in today world can be considered over powered in the HP wars. We all want more to say the least. I find the GT3 very tame for steert driving, and very good for aggressive legal street driving in the high RPM band. I typically drive in PDK-S, and I have many nice back roads with a lot on curves fun legal speeds(:

The car is a joy to drive, and a true car buff will appreciate what it can do it's an engineering marvel in my opinion. My 2013 M5 has a ton of unusable power, but it's a torque monster, and a good family car when not in M mode. These new cars can be tuned up at the flick of a switch and become devilish which is the fun part for me. Be safe.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:26 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
speed is irrelevant. If you want "intense" in this car then keep the RPMs over 5500 at all times and youll get it. track or not, above speed limits or not.

Under 5500 or in auto and the car will drive like a prius.
That's the thing, other cars feel a lot more engaging (to me) at well under 5500. Then add that this this car will be going dang fast over 5500 even in 2nd or 3rd gear (what to do with the other four gears?).

I can live with the tameness of the 991 GT3 on the road since I'm buying it mainly for track use, but I personally wouldn't buy it mainly for road use. I know others enjoy the car on the road, which is great, I'm just chiming in so that the OP can hear from different perspectives.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:27 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
That's the thing, other cars feel a lot more engaging (to me) at well under 5500. Then add that this this car will be going dang fast over 5500 even in 2nd or 3rd gear (what to do with the other four gears?).

I can live with the tameness of the 991 GT3 on the road since I'm buying it mainly for track use, but I personally wouldn't buy it mainly for road use. I know others enjoy the car on the road, which is great, I'm just chiming in so that the OP can hear from different perspectives.
Great comments made by everyone here. Youre perspective here get to the heart of the matter...is it more fun to drive a slower car at 90% or a faster car at 10%??? Many car journalists say the base Boxster , which is the least powerful porsche sports car, is the most fun because you can ring out at sane speeds on public roads. But then again, in the past I bought the Carrera S and the Boxster S vs the base models because I always enjoyed the extra power. It will be interesting to contrast the GT3 to my 981 BS driving on the street. I will have to wait until February before the GT3 comes and the anticipation is killing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Is the GT3 overkill for most buyers???