Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real life pic of why you need front lift!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 09:12 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by wwlee
Wow...cheaper than the color I received. I heard ~$10k for a replacement pump for a 997.2 before labor. Perhaps that is dealer price w/ a nice mark-up over what it would cost elsewhere? Got hit with sticker shock
The engine or gearbox or electronics or any number of other extremely expensive parts could fail after the warranty period expires. That prospect hasn't kept me from buying the car or, for that matter, a bunch of other stuff that might perhaps someday fail and be expensive to repair. Sheesh....

The lift provides guaranteed utility for at least 5 years under warranty and odds are it will last much longer. In 5 years it only has to help avoid one major incident to pay for itself, and mine has already done that for me.

In the event it does fail after the warranty expires I suspect I could get it repaired for a lot less than $10K but if not I might just write it off. It's design doesn't affect the day to day operation of the suspension and I'd be no worse off than if I hadn't bought it in the first place.

My $.04...again...
Old 11-19-2014, 09:18 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I'm transporting mine on a trailer.
I have one you can borrow
Old 11-19-2014, 09:23 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What is the difference on how the new GT3 front lip is fastened to the front valence vs the 997 model, that it could cause more damage? Anyone with both vehicles have look at how they're attached?
Old 11-19-2014, 09:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
What is the difference on how the new GT3 front lip is fastened to the front valence vs the 997 model, that it could cause more damage? Anyone with both vehicles have look at how they're attached?
The lip on the new car is molded to fit over a protruding "ledge" on the front valence and essentially becomes one piece with the valence. My understanding is that the 997 lip is secured by clips which can break away and is more of a separate piece.

If you hit something solidly with any part of the the new lip, as opposed to just scraping the bottom, the valence will take the shock directly. I just nudged a parking bumper with the lip when I first got the car and feared I had cracked the valence from the sound. Proof that the lift isn't fool-proof (literally, in this case) and pilot involvement is still involved. The lip was dinged but fortunately was scheduled to be replaced anyway because of a fitment issue from the factory.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:25 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The lip on the new car is molded to fit over a protruding "ledge" on the front valence and essentially becomes one piece with the valence. My understanding is that the 997 lip is secured by clips which can break away and is more of a separate piece.

If you hit something solidly with any part of the the new lip, as opposed to just scraping the bottom, the valence will take the shock directly. I just nudged a parking bumper with the lip when I first got the car and feared I had cracked the valence from the sound. Proof that the lift isn't fool-proof (literally, in this case) and pilot involvement is still involved. The lip was dinged but fortunately was scheduled to be replaced anyway because of a fitment issue from the factory.
Thanks Mike that helps.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:34 PM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lift on my Range Rover works great. But a lift on a sports car i wouldn't be checking the box. Just my .02 cents.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:35 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kaution321
The lift on my Range Rover works great. But a lift on a sports car i wouldn't be checking the box. Just my .02 cents.
Instead you'll be grinding that nose into the pavement. This car is low, really low. If you ever drive where you have speed bumps, parking garages, drainage curbs, or steep sudden inclines, you will want the lift. If it is always level, you don't mind doing the angle approach (assuming there is room and no traffic), and you live in Kansas, then by all means, skip the lift.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:53 PM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Instead you'll be grinding that nose into the pavement. This car is low, really low. If you ever drive where you have speed bumps, parking garages, drainage curbs, or steep sudden inclines, you will want the lift. If it is always level, you don't mind doing the angle approach (assuming there is room and no traffic), and you live in Kansas, then by all means, skip the lift.
Yes I've done that too it's called driving a sports car on the street. Bottom line is like most everyone here I enjoy driving sports cars and unfortunately there will be times in unfamiliar roads you end up scraping. The nice thing about the GT3 is the front lower is a replaceable part. Again, this is just my preference I can do without the lift option and don't mind replacing part of the inevitable happens. But great option for porsche to include for those who want it.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:57 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kaution321
Yes I've done that too it's called driving a sports car on the street. Bottom line is like most everyone here I enjoy driving sports cars and unfortunately there will be times in unfamiliar roads you can will end up scraping. The nice thing about the GT3 is that front lower is a replaceable part. Again, this is just my preference I can do without the lift option and don't mind replacing part of the inevitable happens. But great option for porsche to include for those who want it.
Understood, I deal with that on my 996 turbo every time I take it out and it sucks; but read Mike's comment above. Light scraping no problem, but if you bang it, you could be replacing a $4000 bumper along with the $250 lip.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:02 AM
wwlee
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The engine or gearbox or electronics or any number of other extremely expensive parts could fail after the warranty period expires. That prospect hasn't kept me from buying the car or, for that matter, a bunch of other stuff that might perhaps someday fail and be expensive to repair. Sheesh.... The lift provides guaranteed utility for at least 5 years under warranty and odds are it will last much longer. In 5 years it only has to help avoid one major incident to pay for itself, and mine has already done that for me. In the event it does fail after the warranty expires I suspect I could get it repaired for a lot less than $10K but if not I might just write it off. It's design doesn't affect the day to day operation of the suspension and I'd be no worse off than if I hadn't bought it in the first place. My $.04...again...
In total agreement with you Mike, which is why I pulled the trigger on the car and lift. I'm just a worry wart in general and think about worst case scenarios (e.g. I have a concern in the back of my mind about new technology such as rws)...unwarranted given the 5-yr warranty on the car. I'm sure once I receive delivery of the car and start it up the first time, these worries will all disappear.

Thank you for sharing your extensive knowledge!!
Old 11-20-2014, 01:44 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default liftmania

You guys are all debating the lift issue seemingly from the vantage point of stock ride height. Who amongst us tracks a GT3 at stock ride height, I wonder?

I don't personally know anyone that does. I have always had them lowered with appropriate camber adjustment for an aggressive street/track set up. The lift was a great option for me on my 7.2 and I wished for one on my 6.2 as I watched my cup lip in the mirror flopping down the freeway or my stock lip shearing off in a hotel parking lot on a speedbump despite the extremely slow speed and 45-degree angle-of-attack, etc.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:57 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by neuroguru
You guys are all debating the lift issue seemingly from the vantage point of stock ride height. Who amongst us tracks a GT3 at stock ride height, I wonder?

I don't personally know anyone that does. I have always had them lowered with appropriate camber adjustment for an aggressive street/track set up. The lift was a great option for me on my 7.2 and I wished for one on my 6.2 as I watched my cup lip in the mirror flopping down the freeway or my stock lip shearing off in a hotel parking lot on a speedbump despite the extremely slow speed and 45-degree angle-of-attack, etc.
I'm a bit disappointed that the 991 GT3 can only be lowered ~8 mm on the OEM front coilovers.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:55 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
I'm a bit disappointed that the 991 GT3 can only be lowered ~8 mm on the OEM front coilovers.
Based on it's current performance, it's fine. Lowering more would require more adjustments elsewhere.

Quick Reply: Real life pic of why you need front lift!