Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any 'Java' colored beasts in LA?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 01:21 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Any 'Java' colored beasts in LA?

I think I know the answer...No RS sightings at the LA auto show.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:07 PM
Aerowerke
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Consensus is that this 918 is Java Orange right?

Old 11-18-2014, 03:28 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

this is showing what will be the lifetime averaged speed of this particular one !
Old 11-18-2014, 03:30 PM
Cyrek
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally I like it
Old 11-18-2014, 04:54 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Love the colour, pass on the decals
Old 11-18-2014, 05:55 PM
Aerowerke
Instructor

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
I like it but will not get my RS in this color if I have a choice
I absolutely want PTS. If PTS is unavailable I will take Java Orange in a heartbeat over any white/silver/grey/black variation.

I hope we get at least 1 additional unique wow color, there really needs to be at least 2 true color options like the 997.1 RS had.

As of now color options will likely be on the RS:

1. White

2. Grey

3. Java Orange

4. ???
Old 11-18-2014, 06:10 PM
Aerowerke
Instructor

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
somewhere in some thread there was mention of some sort of Purple.

im also anxious to know if its going to come with decals
I hope it is true as more true color choice is always better. I think I would cry if I had to order my RS in white/silver/grey/black.

I recall the rumors of a "UV Purple" being an option. I am a big fan of purple on cars, but I will have to remain skeptical until I see the exact paint and whether it suits the car. The big question is dark vs light purple.

The closest I have come to owning a Purple car was my Interlagos Blue Z4 M Coupe. Still to this day one of my all time favorite BMW colors, it worked amazing on the more understated BMW but it is such a dark color . I don't know if a dark purple would suit such a racy car as the RS.

Purple seems like it would be extremely tough to get just right, but I will be the first brave sole if they hit a home run on it...

Old 11-18-2014, 06:20 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by GTEE3
I think I know the answer...No RS sightings at the LA auto show.
Correct.

Originally Posted by Aerowerke
Consensus is that this 918 is Java Orange right?
Different topic. Great PTS color on the 918* (above) registered in Monaco. As to what is the consensus on what is the name of this particular 918 PTS color...I don't think there is one! It looks more 'Blutorange/Tangerine' (color code 018) than anything I have seen currently available from Porsche via PTS.

For the information of this forum, another 'orange' 918 has been airlifted to a US customer in Southern California in the past week or so:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...rldwide-2.html

The poster (SBTT) did not identified the exact color and....neither has anyone else yet on that forum.

We don't have a list of approved colors for the 918, so until the owner speaks up, we can only speculate as to what these two 'orange' colors might be! The only two orange colors currently approved for the 991/981 are 'Pastel Orange' (code z17) and 'Gulf Orange' (code 019). 'Gulf' is darker & deeper than 'Pastel'. To my eyes (and remember photos don't often capture the true colors), Southern California 918 looks to be a totally different shade of 'orange' from the 918 seen in Monaco. And it would not surprise me if it turns out to be a slight 'metallic' rather than a solid 'uni' color.

Regardless, 918 customers are paying in the low $20K's for the privilege of PTS. So it the colors for these two 918's could be truly some 'Paint-to-Sample' orange that was submitted by each prospective 918 customer for their respective expensive Hybrids. I would not assume that the 'orange' color on these two 918's necessarily have any relation, or connection, to the color PAG is planning to offer on the 991 RS, whether it's 'Java', 'Blutorange/Tangerine' or 'Variations on a Theme by Paganini'!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

PS My understanding is that PTS is not available from factory on the Weissach Package. Yet both of these 918 are Weissach and have these colors (hopefully not a vinyl wrap ).

Photos:
1 - 'Blutorange/Tangerine' 018
2 - PTS 'orange' 918 in Southern California
3- 'Pastel Orange' vs 'Blutorange/Tangerine'
4- 'Pastel Orange' '11 gt3
5- 'Pastel Orange' gas cap inside
6- 'Gulf Orange' 997
7- 'Gulf Orange' 981

Attached Images        

Last edited by Z356; 11-18-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:28 PM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if he ever got past that Punto??
Old 11-18-2014, 07:02 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No decals on the 918. That car needs PTS calipers. The liberal tree hugger green sucks, IMO.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:40 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default PTS calipers...not available!

Originally Posted by rockitman
No decals on the 918. That car needs PTS calipers. The liberal tree hugger green sucks, IMO.
Interestingly, Porsche does allow 918 customers one optional color other than 'Acid Green' for the calipers on that exclusive model. The color is 'Silver' and the cost is $2800 for the privilege. In the US so far, we have only seen one customer take advantage of this option. That was Roger Penske, who ordered 'Silver' calipers on his 'Guards Red' 918 Spyder!

PAG, otherwise, will not entertain any deviation from the color-scheme* of its calipers on every other model. If you are interested in that...you'll have to do it after delivery at your discretion.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

*Color Scheme:
Black (base cars of every model)
Guards Red (S, GTS or Turbos)
Speed Yellow (PCCB)
Acid Green (Hybrid & plus some LE's for marketing! See attached photo)
Silver (Macan S, Cayenne S, Panamera S)

Attached Images  
Old 11-18-2014, 08:45 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Eduardo, any idea how many different paint colours Porsche has used since the beginning and which one has remained or offered the longest?
Old 11-18-2014, 09:19 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bronson7
Eduardo, any idea how many different paint colours Porsche has used since the beginning and which one has remained or offered the longest?
'Black' has offered in 1950* and it's still offered today. But there were some years during 356 & early 911 period when 'Black' was not offered as a standard.

'Guards Red' is the other 'longest running' color movie at Porsche. Variations of 'White' have been offered almost every year...but that color formulation has changed over the years so it's very hard to call it a single color.

How many colors Porsche has used...lots!
MY1970 was probably the record for most offered as standard & special colors (30 in total). Plus quite a number of PTS individual requests.

From my perspective, until PTS was interrupted temporarily days ago, there has never been more color offerings by Porsche in its history as TODAY! If you take the standard & metallics offerings, the special colors and the four pages of PTS (see attached), nothing in Porsche history can beat that incredible selection! We are fortunate to have that choice...and in my estimation the $5,500 option price for PTS is the best value for money that Porsche offers its customers today...or at least, if offered until very recently!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

*I don't include Gmunds in 1948 & 1949 because these were all paint customized since all were build for specific customers or importers.

Attached Images  
Attached Images
Old 11-18-2014, 10:35 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Z356
'Black' has offered in 1950* and it's still offered today. But there were some years during 356 & early 911 period when 'Black' was not offered as a standard.

'Guards Red' is the other 'longest running' color movie at Porsche. Variations of 'White' have been offered almost every year...but that color formulation has changed over the years so it's very hard to call it a single color.

MY1970 was probably the record for most offered as standard & special colors (30 in total). Plus quite a number of PTS individual requests.

From my perspective, until PTS was interrupted temporarily days ago, there has never been more color offerings by Porsche in its history as TODAY! If you take the standard & metallics offerings, the special colors and the four pages of PTS (see attached), nothing in Porsche history can beat that incredible selection! We are fortunate to have that choice...and in my estimation the $5,500 option price for PTS is the best value for money that Porsche offers its customers today...or at least, if offered until very recently!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

*I don't include Gmunds in 1948 & 1949 because these were all paint customized since all were build for specific customers or importers.

Where do you find all this info? Wealth of knowledge. Thank you.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:13 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Originally Posted by bronson7
Where do you find all this info? Wealth of knowledge. Thank you.
Eduardo is the Porsche whisperer!

Quick Reply: Any 'Java' colored beasts in LA?