Sponsored by:

Leather interior vs. standard interior.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 08:13 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
It's a personal thing for sure. But for those that think it will effect resell or that it looks cheap on a 150k car without it, I would draw your attention to the many 997 gt3s, RS, and 4.0 etc on the market without upgraded interiors. I stand by my theory that as the 991gt3 has attracted a wider audience, there is more attention to things like deviated stitching and leather sun visors. Not good or bad. Different. Probably will be the case that standard interiors may be less common on this model gt3 than the last one. PCCB could be seen as purely optional /"luxury" also, plenty of the aforementioned models ordered with iron brakes. So I'm getting because I want, but I don't think the gt3 is cheap or hurt resell without...
I think someone posted that only 40% have leather interior.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:17 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
I would expect GT3s without leather interior to demand a lower price on resale than those with. Will the difference be more or less than the $3500 adder for leather? TBD.
couldn't disagree more... respectfully... like I am sure you and many others here, I have owned many Porsches, high end sports cars, luxury cars, etc. Not once has the amount of leather on a dash or deviated stitching determined resaleability on a two-seat performance car.

Full leather is not going to be the determining factor on gt3 resale... mileage, history, condition, and color will be...

I know this has been debated to death, and I know I have posted annoyingly on it several times. So, to each their own. The car will be great with or without the leather. I just take a bit of issue with the comments about cheapness and resale value, because I think it is BS.

As one data point, I sold my no full leather 2011 GT3 w/ 8k miles on it for the same price I paid at 4k miles. I purchased from original owner. Condition and mileage drove the sale and price in both cases. I didn't think once about a leather dash when I bought it, and clearly neither did the 2nd buyer. If it had full leather, I would not have been deterred. But it was a complete non issue, one way or other. I believe that is representative.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:22 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

couldn't disagree more... respectfully... like I am sure you and many others here, I have owned many Porsches, high end sports cars, luxury cars, etc. Not once has the amount of leather on a dash or deviated stitching determined resaleability on a two-seat performance car.

Full leather is not going to be the determining factor on gt3 resale... mileage, history, condition, and color will be...

I know this has been debated to death, and I know I have posted annoyingly on it several times. So, to each their own. The car will be great with or without the leather. I just take a bit of issue with the comments about cheapness and resale value, because I think it is BS.
Let's say you have two identical cars, but one has leather and one does not. They're the same price. Which do you buy?

OK, now the leather one is $100 more. Which do you buy?

At what price difference would you no longer want the leather one?

That threshold is certainly different for different folks. Some prefer the stripper interior look.

Yes in a world where GT3s are rare and things you care more about (mileage, color, general condition) may dominate the decision, it doesn't change the fact that for a given car, most would assign some amount of increased value to the leather interior. How much so was all I was asking.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:26 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Agree with that. Two identically equipped, mileaged, conditioned, colored cars, side by side, only difference is full leather. I think 99% of people pick full leather car under that scenario. I think that is a pretty unlikely scenario in real-life, too many other variables. I am part of the 1% that would opt for the plain, which is why I did on my $150k sticker car. Certainly wasn't the $3k. If all leather with no deviated stitching had been an option, i.e. black and subdued like the full leather dash available on other Porsches, and certain other high end sports cars, I would have done that.
The following users liked this post:
wdr911 (05-07-2022)
Old 11-18-2014, 08:39 PM
RUF RS
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 154 Posts
Default Leather

I've always like leather interiors. To each their own. That's why it's offered as AN OPTION... Take it or leave it, your choice.

I ordered mine with Leather Interior in Black/Alcantara wStitching in Guards Red, Leather interior package w/decorative red stitching, extended leather (door panels in leather/alcantara). I would not change a thing, just my PERSONAL choice.
And as stated by others, I didn't buy it for the next guy or for resale value.
I bought it to drive and enjoy....
Old 11-18-2014, 09:01 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
I didn't order full leather in my GT3 or Turbo. If I own the car a couple of days I don't notice full leather and it does not add to my enjoyment. IMO I don't think the red stitching adds anything over the platinum stitching. You get zero back when you sell it. YMMV.
Full Leather is standard on a turbo at least in the states.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:04 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As one data point, I sold my no full leather 2011 GT3 w/ 8k miles on it for the same price I paid at 4k miles. I purchased from original owner. Condition and mileage drove the sale and price in both cases. I didn't think once about a leather dash when I bought it, and clearly neither did the 2nd buyer. If it had full leather, I would not have been deterred. But it was a complete non issue, one way or other. I believe that is representative.
Have to disagree, albeit respectfully. I believe the majority have opted for full leather. That said, many used buyers would not select a GT3 sans full leather. To the contrary, with some minor exception, many would still buy a leather optioned car even if that was not there first choice. I also believe Full Leather returns at least 50% of the initial cost. I am talking with platinum stitch, not red deviated.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:09 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 911dev
Have to disagree, albeit respectfully. I believe the majority have opted for full leather. That said, many used buyers would not select a GT3 sans full leather. To the contrary, with some minor exception, many would still buy a leather optioned car even if that was not there first choice. I also believe Full Leather returns at least 50% of the initial cost. I am talking with platinum stitch, not red deviated.
none of us has statistics, although I saw the same data that someone else posted in this thread, that only 40% have been ordered with full leather... who knows... anecdotally I know that in the cars I have seen listed for sale, and the plethora of interior pictures pics on auto gespot, etc. that many, if not most, appear standard.

Im like RUF RS, none of this matters to me, I got wanted I wanted, I didn't buy for the next guy. I just believe that anyone thinking leather will be the deciding factor for resale is way off...unless all other things are very equal. Lots of rennlist, ebay, autotrader, etc. sales of GT and RS cars with standard interior would suggest otherwise...
Old 11-18-2014, 09:13 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Is it possible to order alcantara dash so it matches the a pillars?
Old 11-18-2014, 09:17 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rubber_ducky
I wouldn't assume that this is the case based on the show car photo. In all likelihood, that car is optioned with an alcantara (or suede) headliner. The dash end caps in leather are not part of the full leather package, but can be seen in the pic as well
For the record I ordered my car with the standard full leather Pkg. It does include the alcantara headliner and A pillars.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:07 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Unreal this is still going on(: My 991S didn't have full leather, and it was my first P car. My GT3 full leather looks great with red stitching vs the cheap plastic look. Again each to his own, but I love a nice cabin!
Old 11-18-2014, 10:19 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, this is kind of a tired topic, and ultimately it is all personal taste. On the resale issue I suspect that the only two deal breakers are likely to be a color that the person doesn't like or the lack of a lift for someone who believes he (or she) needs it.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:29 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Boys, let's be honest, no matter how much we debate this there will never be a right or wrong. Let's be thankful atleast, for the ones that want some leather can get, in the amounts they want and the ones that don't, no need to order it. What's the debate worth? I guess that's my opinion, {we all have one}
Old 11-18-2014, 10:32 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Is it possible to order alcantara dash so it matches the a pillars?
No, but with full leather, the lower dash and door cards are alcantara.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:04 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lodi
I will take some shots later today or tomorrow morning and post them. I don't have many of the interior. I love it. I would not change a thing. Its befitting of a $150K plus car.
Not the best shots but they will give you an idea of how the steering column, center console and seat backs look.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Lodi; 12-08-2014 at 11:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Leather interior vs. standard interior.