Sponsored by:

Battery Maintainer?

Old 11-15-2014, 02:01 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Battery Maintainer?

So which outlet can be used with the maintainer that stays "hot" and will not shut down?
Lighter, footwell, glove box, storage compartment?

Just a wondering?
Old 11-15-2014, 02:20 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Lighter for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 11-15-2014, 04:35 PM
joaobraganca
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can use any one of the 12v outlets. You could plug a maintainer but cannot charge a cell phone. No output, but input works. The output only works for 30 minutes (as stated on page 151 of the owners manual).
Old 11-15-2014, 08:41 PM
GT TREE
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Does the GT3 come with a battery maintainer by chance? I would hope so for a starting price @ 130k.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:13 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by GT TREE
Does the GT3 come with a battery maintainer by chance? I would hope so for a starting price @ 130k.
Don't be silly.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:50 AM
GT TREE
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Don't be silly.

I'll take that as a no. lol
Old 11-16-2014, 02:38 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The cigarette lighter option is not as good as clips directly to the battery terminals, IMO.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:10 PM
joaobraganca
Track Day

They might not be just as good as the battery terminals but since Porsche itself offers a rebranded CTEK 3300 with the cigarette plug connection I think it should work just as fine as the battery terminals.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:40 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Ctek comes with the terminal connections. You have to order the lighter connection separately. I'd skip that and go with the terminal connections that come with the unit and order the cable extension instead. I've set up my two cars that are parked for winter that way. Mike in CA has a thread on this, and the setup is perfect and easily accessible in the luggage compartment.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:05 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by rockitman
The cigarette lighter option is not as good as clips directly to the battery terminals, IMO.
Disagree.

Plug in maintainer to cigarette lighter. Close the door on the thin cord. Bam. Done.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:07 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
I agree but if just for maintaining a charge its works fine and its easy. Also you won't forget to unplug when installed outside as Ive seen happen before. One of my neighbors has a F430 and was leaving neighborhood and was dragging the whole contraption down the street before someone waved him down.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:29 PM
joaobraganca
Track Day

What I really think is most "important" of the options: some people are really lazy and let's say it is more practical to just plug in a plug in the cigarette lighter than opening the trunk, attaching the cable to the terminals via the socket, closing the trunk and etc. I'm not saying it is difficult to do so, but I think the more simple you keep it, the less inclinated to not do it you will feel. Anyway both are working methods, so it is a matter of preference rather than functionality

EDIT:
I recall now about my friend's E92 M3, he didn't like to charge the battery with terminals directly. He used to use the clamps and attach them on the positive terminal inside the hood and the neutral terminal inside the hood too. I also recall that his dealer told him especifically to charge the way I described instead of charging the battery attaching the clamps or terminals to the battery.

Last edited by joaobraganca; 11-16-2014 at 08:33 PM. Reason: add content
Old 11-16-2014, 09:14 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by joaobraganca
What I really think is most "important" of the options: some people are really lazy and let's say it is more practical to just plug in a plug in the cigarette lighter than opening the trunk, attaching the cable to the terminals via the socket, closing the trunk and etc. I'm not saying it is difficult to do so, but I think the more simple you keep it, the less inclinated to not do it you will feel. Anyway both are working methods, so it is a matter of preference rather than functionality

EDIT:
I recall now about my friend's E92 M3, he didn't like to charge the battery with terminals directly. He used to use the clamps and attach them on the positive terminal inside the hood and the neutral terminal inside the hood too. I also recall that his dealer told him especifically to charge the way I described instead of charging the battery attaching the clamps or terminals to the battery.
It depends how you use your car and how it's situated in your garage. I keep my car cover in the frunk so when I take out the cover I plug up the maintainer (mounted on the wall next to the front of the car) to the fused extension cable which is "permanently" attached to the battery terminals (no clamps). My CTEK charger came with the appropriate terminal connectors and is designed to be hooked up to the battery in this fashion.

Couldn't be easier for me, and no fussing with getting in and out of the car again. YMMV.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:45 PM
aeGT3
Rennlist Member

I have used the battery maintainers (CTEK) plugged to cigarette lighters of my Porsches for several years with NO issues.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:00 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

Hey Mike,

I just got back from the dealer getting my airbag light reset. They found several low voltage errors when checking for codes. I didn't think driving the car weekly would necessitate any battery maintenance, but maybe I'm wrong.

I can't find your thread on your set-up. Can you post a link?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery Maintainer?