Sponsored by:

Battery Maintainer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 07:07 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I was told by a Field Tech Red if the lighter works with the key removed, should be good to go!
Old 12-22-2014, 07:12 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
So is that overall size, or the hole in the eyelet, or does it say?

Not knowing what the sizing measurements above refer to, I don't know how to answer that question. No matter what size you get you can probably adapt by clipping the eyelet or using a washer.
Well I have the 6 from the kit, bought a 10 for $13 and if it's to big when I finally get my car, I'll breakdown and buy an 8...lol
Old 12-22-2014, 07:16 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
Well I have the 6 from the kit, bought a 10 for $13 and if it's to big when I finally get my car, I'll breakdown and buy an 8...lol
Well, thanks for being the guinea pig for us. Let us know how it works out.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
Question:

Does the cig-lighter work when the key is removed?
Originally Posted by Hothonda
yes
Originally Posted by MJones
I was told by a Field Tech Red if the lighter works with the key removed, should be good to go!
This question came up before. All of the outlets work for a period of time (I think it's about 15 minutes) after a door is opened even with the key out of the ignition. However, they then shut off again. The last time the subject came up I tested this by plugging a 12V phone charger with a light on it that I could see from outside the car into each of the receptacles. After a while each receptacle shut off.

The thing is, this apparently doesn't matter if you're feeding a charge back through the 12V cig lighter to the battery. My understanding is that the circuit doesn't have to be active (IOW providing power) for the charger to work.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:47 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Yesterday I installed my CTEK quick connect eyelets to the battery. The stock M6 fit. The M8 and M10 are too big. Interestingly the neg side (terminal bolt) when facing the windshield on my car was cross threaded. It was a real bitch to undo the bolt all the way so I could slip the eyelet on. Turns out I was unable to re-tighten the terminal bolt so it's off to the hardware store to get a similar stainless bolt and nut. I am using the battery clips in the mean time.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:07 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Yesterday I installed my CTEK quick connect eyelets to the battery. The stock M6 fit. The M8 and M10 are too big. Interestingly the neg side (terminal bolt) when facing the windshield on my car was cross threaded. It was a real bitch to undo the bolt all the way so I could slip the eyelet on. Turns out I was unable to re-tighten the terminal bolt so it's off to the hardware store to get a similar stainless bolt and nut. I am using the battery clips in the mean time.
I seem to recall that bolt being problematic. I think it's designed to be retained on the terminal clamp. I clipped the end of my eyelet so it would slide under the retaining nut, rather than over the bolt.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:15 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

I seem to recall that bolt being problematic. I think it's designed to be retained on the terminal clamp. I clipped the end of my eyelet so it would slide under the retaining nut, rather than over the bolt.

I did the same!! Clip the eyelet, then the nut stays on the post, retighten, all good.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:40 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

I should have done that. I was in a panic...sweat beading off my fore head and the disbelief I could be having so much trouble with a stupid battery terminal bolt. I have done much more technical and complicated wrenching on these cars before and couldn't believe the trouble I was having for a seemingly simple task
I was swearing at Porsche AG.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:10 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I should have done that. I was in a panic...sweat beading off my fore head and the disbelief I could be having so much trouble with a stupid battery terminal bolt. I have done much more technical and complicated wrenching on these cars before and couldn't believe the trouble I was having for a seemingly simple task
I was swearing at Porsche AG.
Been there......
Old 02-07-2015, 04:04 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

So I replaced the bolt....M6 shaft threads and M10 outer bolt end and nut in stainless steel. Worked like a charm. Only needed a wrench on the inner bolt as the outer one locked on the lead terminal block. Phew ! No sweat on the brow either....lol
Old 02-08-2015, 03:20 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

So I replaced the bolt....M6 shaft threads and M10 outer bolt end and nut in stainless steel. Worked like a charm. Only needed a wrench on the inner bolt as the outer one locked on the lead terminal block. Phew ! No sweat on the brow either....lol
Glad you got it resolved!
Old 02-27-2015, 09:11 AM
BigT
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, not sure I understand your comment about the plug outlets staying "open for charging".
I tried Porsche charger-with the red pilot light which is on when the charger is actually "trickling charge" in all three outlets and the light turns off after about 15 minutes of charging and no car activity. I know the light indicates charging state as I use it on my 997 and it will trickle with light on for a number of hours and then go off if the battery had been off charger for a few days.
So are we really sure you can charge through the lighter outlets? I know battery must be down as car has not ben started for 2 weeks. Do we have any reference on this reverse charge being possible even when outlets are not be provided with 12 volts?
Old 02-27-2015, 10:21 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by BigT
Mike, not sure I understand your comment about the plug outlets staying "open for charging".
I tried Porsche charger-with the red pilot light which is on when the charger is actually "trickling charge" in all three outlets and the light turns off after about 15 minutes of charging and no car activity. I know the light indicates charging state as I use it on my 997 and it will trickle with light on for a number of hours and then go off if the battery had been off charger for a few days.
So are we really sure you can charge through the lighter outlets? I know battery must be down as car has not ben started for 2 weeks. Do we have any reference on this reverse charge being possible even when outlets are not be provided with 12 volts?
I don't know of any reason that the 12V socket circuitry would be different on a GT3 from a Carrera, but I have used the Porsche battery maintainer on 3 previous 997's and my current 991 GTS plugged into either the cigarette lighter socket, or the one in the passenger footwell, and never had a problem. The light on my charger never goes out. It alternates as it should from the orange light to the green light indicating full charge, but never turns off. Are you sure you have the adapter plug firmly inserted into the 12V socket?

Suncoast's website says the following about the Porsche battery maintainer and the Macan. Obviously, the GT3 is not a Macan, but maybe the 12V sockets are the same:

Note for Macan "**" Macan models can't be charged at the 12 volt plugs inside the car. To bypass this, visit your local Porsche dealer and they can code your Macan to accept a battery maintainer. Or purchase the additional battery clamps and charge the battery directly.

Last edited by GSIRM3; 02-27-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:09 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

^^The Porsche charger works fine in the passenger side outlet. Light stay on. Been hooked up for over a month. I do not have the "smoker's package" so do not know about that outlet
Old 02-27-2015, 01:49 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

Hold it.... Wait a minute.... If you use the pigtails to go directly to the battery you will destroy the battery monitor which operates from the neg terminal. You instead need to use the grounding post. Connect the red lead to the pos side of the battery and the blk neg lead to the grounding post NOT the neg terminal of the battery....

Quick Reply: Battery Maintainer?